Nicotine Salt Usage Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
Hey all,

So I've been vaping for a while now, and I see that nicotine salts are a much better and smooth nicotine hit when your vaping and doesn't hurt your throat too much so you can still consume large amounts of vapor. Personally, I like to vape RDAs and I love to drip only (nothing against tank users) but I prefer tanks when I am driving which is another discussion for a different day...

Anyways, I have been searching around online for this new and improved (nicotine salts) that everyone seems to enjoy, but I cannot find any nicotine salt e-liquid that is in a high VG form, only in liquids like 60/40 and thin juices mostly. Honestly, I would love to vape on a 6mg but instead of using the standard nicotine base formula, I would like to use nicotine salts. So, that being said, tell me how this works? Do I have to add nicotine salts to my current juices on my own or are companies adding nicotine salts and becoming a standard to improve their juices for a more smooth experience?

Also, if you find any e-juice brands that automatically add nicotine salt to their juices as a standard, please let me know. Most of my favorite e-juice companies do not say in their descriptions if they are using salts, or just nicotine base, so I would assume they are still using the standard nicotine base formula.

If anyone knows anything about this, please comment down below as all feedback is highly appreciated, always!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
If you are vaping only 6mg/mL e-liquid; I am skeptical that you will get any real benefit from the use of nic salts.

Higher nicotine levels (25-50mg/mL) are readily available from plethora of vendors and manufacturers. The lower(?) (30PG/70VG to 50/50) ratios are the "norm" because these e-liquids are designed with the intent of being used in POD systems. PODs have smaller resivoirs, and produce less vapor, than traditional RDAs. Using these high(er) nic e-liquids, in a cloud chasing RDA, is a recipe for getting nic sick.

That said, some vendors are starting to offer lower nic level salts. But, in my mind, this is mostly just a gimmick. You lose any real benefit from using the salts (less noticeable throat hit), and pay an extra 50% for the privilege of getting to say you are using salts. As always... your mileage may vary (YMMV).

• Agree
Reactions: Doffy

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
Sort of a misunderstanding. I use 6(MG) in my e-juices when using an RDA (standard base), but I'm not sure what 6mg is equivalent to in nicotine salts to get the similar nicotine buzz experience without the super harsh throat hit. The pros and cons for ME is that with the standard 6mg nicotine, it's perfect for my nicotine fix to keep me satisfied, but it doesn't satisfy me with the throat hit. If I drop down to a 3mg, the throat hit is a million times better and less harsh, but find myself taking more hits to get my nicotine fix satisfaction.

Reactions: Doffy

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Salt nic is the same as freebase (regular) nic... a 1:1 ratio. If you are using 6mg/mL freebase; you would use 6mg/mL nic salt in the same device. Again... the (commonly) higher nic salt levels are intended for low output devices.

If you are looking at nicotine for a "buzz," you are on your own.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sort of a misunderstanding. I use 6(MG) in my e-juices when using an RDA (standard base), but I'm not sure what 6mg is equivalent to in nicotine salts to get the similar nicotine buzz experience without the super harsh throat hit. The pros and cons for ME is that with the standard 6mg nicotine, it's perfect for my nicotine fix to keep me satisfied, but it doesn't satisfy me with the throat hit. If I drop down to a 3mg, the throat hit is a million times better and less harsh, but find myself taking more hits to get my nicotine fix satisfaction.
Nicotine salts work exactly the same as regular nic. The only difference is the throat hit is more variable (you can get low or high throat hit salts) and there is orders of magnitude less safety research on them. If you’re having a problem with throat hit in a 6mg/ml vape switching to nic salts may not help you because they’re generally much stronger than that. They’re designed for very low output pod systems and the nic level is often as high as 50mg/ml. Basically you’d have to DIY it in which case you have other options for adjusting throat hit anyway

• Agree
Reactions: IDJoel

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
If you are looking at nicotine for a "buzz," you are on your own.
Obviously, people use nicotine for a buzz, so how else would you look at it? Lol

Nicotine salts work exactly the same as regular nic. The only difference is the throat hit is more variable (you can get low or high throat hit salts) and there is orders of magnitude less safety research on them. If you’re having a problem with throat hit in a 6mg/ml vape switching to nic salts may not help you because they’re generally much stronger than that. They’re designed for very low output pod systems and the nic level is often as high as 50mg/ml. Basically you’d have to DIY it in which case you have other options for adjusting throat hit anyway
Okay, now this makes more sense. Thanks, @bombastinator. I guess I'll have to DIY to customize what fits me. I understand that nic salts are usually used for lower wattage devices, but I thought people were commonly using them with RDAs as well for some weird reason. I was thinking if nic salts provide a more smooth less throat hit experience, why wouldn't they use them in all juices or at least give you an option to add salt or freebase nicotine. That would be a cool option. Because from my understand.... 40mg of salt nicotine is equivalent to about 18mg of freebase in terms of throat hit.

Maybe I should look into about 5mg of nic salt ejuice which would be similar to a 3mg freebase in terms of throat hit, and get a rush faster which enhances the experience.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bask

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Naked 100 and several others make nic salt juices but only in 35 MG or 50 MG for the most part.

If you want 6 MG nic salt you will probably need to mix your own. Or you could get 0 Nic Naked 100 and the same flavor of Naked 100 Nic salt in 35mg or 50 mg and cut it to your liking

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Obviously, people use nicotine for a buzz, so how else would you look at it? Lol

Okay, now this makes more sense. Thanks, @bombastinator. I guess I'll have to DIY to customize what fits me. I understand that nic salts are usually used for lower wattage devices, but I thought people were commonly using them with RDAs as well for some weird reason. I was thinking if nic salts provide a more smooth less throat hit experience, why wouldn't they use them in all juices or at least give you an option to add salt or freebase nicotine. That would be a cool option. Because from my understand.... 40mg of salt nicotine is equivalent to about 18mg of freebase in terms of throat hit.

Maybe I should look into about 5mg of nic salt ejuice which would be similar to a 3mg freebase in terms of throat hit, and get a rush faster which enhances the experience.
If you’re not a former smoker and only vaping “for the rush” I strongly suggest you quit while you still can.

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
If you’re not a former smoker and only vaping “for the rush” I strongly suggest you quit while you still can.
I am a former smoker, and I'm glad I quit and found vaping. I enjoy vaping with no intention of quitting anytime soon, and everyone has their own personal reasons for vaping. I've been a smoker pretty much my entire life, and I enjoy vaping much better. People have their reasons, and I have my own. This topic was strictly made about nicotine and nicotine salts for questions I had. Please don't lecture me about nicotine use, we all have different preferences when it comes to what we want out of vaping, but I appreciate your concern.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Just use 6mg nic salts

Not a bigger rush, just passes into blood slightly quicker

Throat hit will be less, or not noticeable. But feeling will be the same for the most part

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I am a former smoker, and I'm glad I quit and found vaping. I enjoy vaping with no intention of quitting anytime soon, and everyone has their own personal reasons for vaping. I've been a smoker pretty much my entire life, and I enjoy vaping much better. People have their reasons, and I have my own. This topic was strictly made about nicotine and nicotine salts for questions I had. Please don't lecture me about nicotine use, we all have different preferences when it comes to what we want out of vaping, but I appreciate your concern.
It’s kind of an issue here. More than a few new members are 14 year olds who vape because they think it’s cool and cause problems for everyone else. As to the buzz, I’m not sure I’ve even met anyone who got a buzz of nicotine after the first six months. This makes you somewhat unusual. Taken together it did look a bit odd. If you’re a former smoker power to you.

• Agree
Reactions: Opinionated

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
Just use 6mg nic salts

Not a bigger rush, just passes into blood slightly quicker

Throat hit will be less, or not noticeable. But feeling will be the same for the most part
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm shooting for. I found a cool website online called "DashVapes" and they got tons of juices you can pick from.. and they also give you the option to add free base or nic salt to whatever levels you want which is awesome.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA

Like @Beamslider said, Just buy any 0nic juice from any juice maker and add the appropriate nic to make the 6% you are looking for.

I buy NS from Nicotine River and they have 3 throat hit levels. Hit NS, Normal NS, and Smooth NS. It's pretty obvious what they are. I like the smooth and vape at 6mg also. The smooth has almost no throat hit at all and is probably what you are looking for. A 150ml bottle of 100mg/ml is about $11 and will last quite a while, probably 6 months or more depending on how much you vape daily. A 30ml bottle of 0 nic off the shelf juice will only need about 1.8ml of nic to make it 6%.

The only caution is 100mg/ml nic is dangerous if not handled properly. Watch some mixing videos and use a juice calculator to give you the amount of nic you need to add to get the 6% you want. There are lots of free juice calculators around, many online so you don't have to install one if you don't want to, but use a calculator and get a couple of syringes (for the amount you'll be using for either 30ml or 60ml bottles of juice, a 3 or 5ml syringe with a blunt tip will work out fine. Or you can spend the $21 and get a digital scale from Amazon that can measure to 0.01 accuracy. Either way will work great. You should probably get some disposable nitrile gloves just for safety.

I switched over from FB to NS a while ago and think NS is a better choice because not only can you tailor the nic level you like, but you can choose the throat hit characteristic you prefer. As far as nicotine they are both the same in that regard. They are just different methods of extracting nicotine from a tobacco plant.

So just buy 0 nic juice and DIY nic. Quite easy to do and just might temp you to start mixing your own juices, which is the real fun is for many of us.

• Agree
Reactions: bask

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
It’s kind of an issue here. More than a few new members are 14 year olds who vape because they think it’s cool and cause problems for everyone else. As to the buzz, I’m not sure I’ve even met anyone who got a buzz of nicotine after the first six months. This makes you somewhat unusual. Taken together it did look a bit odd. If you’re a former smoker power to you.

I guess it's not very appropriate to go ahead a judge someone in which whom you don't know anything about. Oh and also, I've been smoking 2 packs a DAY before vaping, and I have to say vaping gets you more of a buzz because of the high wattage and overall consumption, not only that, but it's more healthy for you than the cancer sticks. In that regard, I been smoking a lot of cigarettes to the point I need a certain nicotine standard from vaping in order for me to be satisfied, haven't you ever smoked before? Not sure if you can relate if you never had an addiction lol...

Thinking someone is a bit odd because of their nicotine uses and levels is somewhat absurd. Getting into detail of my smoking past is really none of yours or anyone's business, but I see you're really concerned so I thought I would explain to you a bit more in depth because I seem odd... Lol.

I came to this community to get advice and help on a particular subject, not to be criticized for being odd and underage because of my nicotine needs.

Good day!

Ohm My God

Dec 5, 2018
Like @Beamslider said, Just buy any 0nic juice from any juice maker and add the appropriate nic to make the 6% you are looking for.

I buy NS from Nicotine River and they have 3 throat hit levels. Hit NS, Normal NS, and Smooth NS. It's pretty obvious what they are. I like the smooth and vape at 6mg also. The smooth has almost no throat hit at all and is probably what you are looking for. A 150ml bottle of 100mg/ml is about $11 and will last quite a while, probably 6 months or more depending on how much you vape daily. A 30ml bottle of 0 nic off the shelf juice will only need about 1.8ml of nic to make it 6%.

The only caution is 100mg/ml nic is dangerous if not handled properly. Watch some mixing videos and use a juice calculator to give you the amount of nic you need to add to get the 6% you want. There are lots of free juice calculators around, many online so you don't have to install one if you don't want to, but use a calculator and get a couple of syringes (for the amount you'll be using for either 30ml or 60ml bottles of juice, a 3 or 5ml syringe with a blunt tip will work out fine. Or you can spend the $21 and get a digital scale from Amazon that can measure to 0.01 accuracy. Either way will work great. You should probably get some disposable nitrile gloves just for safety.

I switched over from FB to NS a while ago and think NS is a better choice because not only can you tailor the nic level you like, but you can choose the throat hit characteristic you prefer. As far as nicotine they are both the same in that regard. They are just different methods of extracting nicotine from a tobacco plant.

So just buy 0 nic juice and DIY nic. Quite easy to do and just might temp you to start mixing your own juices, which is the real fun is for many of us.

Thank you for the recommendation, I highly appreciate it. I got into DIY e-juice a while ago, but kind of stopped because it can be a little messy at times, plus usually people make way better e-liquids than I do. I use to go online, and find recipes, and it was really fun, but not sure if I would to do it all the time. It's cheaper in the long run, but I needed tons and tons of supplies. Getting the base flavors, buying VG in bulk, get the nicotine, and usually when I want to try a new recipe, I have to order a truck full of flavors I don't have.

But it's pretty fun sometimes, and might get back into it. I remember the first e-juice I ever made was lemon cake with frosting. YUM.

chanelvaps

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Burbank CAlifornia
I found tons of information in this thread that I have been confused about.
As a former 2 pack a day smoker of 40 years, now reinvented to a vaper of 5 years who also DIY's, I have been confused about the change over to Nic salts. "Why are people going up in MGs from 6 to 35?" I found myself wondering. I am in a comfort zone of knowing what works and what has saved my life so I was not readily veering out of that zone to find out. Like Bombastinator I was a little turned off when I heard the word 'get a buzz' but lets face it, we all must have gotten something years ago when we continuously picked up those filthy foul smelling burning sticks and continued to light one up and cough (me at 12 years old)
I am also against young folks picking up vaping because it is 'cool' but when I hear someone criticize someone younger for 'needing' the feeling it does set off a feeling in some sort of way.
I think everyone clarified themselves here and it sure did answer some of my questions.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I would suggest that you get the high mg smooth salts and just add to commercial juice. If you buy 200+mg the flavor dilution will be minimal. What I don't know is if you can get that in Canada or if they will accept it from the US. Dash Vapes may be a better option for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Ohm My God

Plantsmantx

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2018
Go to Breazy.com and look for the Mr. Salt-E XL line. It's a line of 5mg nic salt juices that come in 100ml bottles, and is intended to allow sub ohm vaping of nic salt. I tried the Grappleberry, and it was pretty good. It wasn't quite as satisfying to me as 50mg nic salt juice, but I vaped it mouth-to-lung. It's $19.99 a bottle, but I got an email from Breazy today saying that 60ml liquids are $9.99 today with the code DAY1, and 100ml liquids will be $10.99 tomorrow. They don't give a code, but I assume it'll be DAY2. I don't know if the Mr. Salt-E XL line will be included, but you never know.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm shooting for. I found a cool website online called "DashVapes" and they got tons of juices you can pick from.. and they also give you the option to add free base or nic salt to whatever levels you want which is awesome.

You have to look at your daily intake of nicotine when switching from dl to mtl vaping. .

If vaping 6mg/ml works for you sub ohm, and your going through 5 ml/day, then your daily intake of nicotine is 30mg.

If you want to switch to a low wattage mtl device where your consumption will be about 1.5 ml/day, then do the math accordingly and purchase some 20mg/ml ejuice for your low wattage mtl vaping devices. .

You can switch the type of devices you use so long as you know your daily nicotine consumption requirements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread