Liquid in lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

addie723

Aug 2, 2017
I have been vaping for about 2 years now after using the vape to quit smoking. I am a pretty constant vaper. Over the past few weeks I've been coughing a lot and it's liquid I am coughing up. I am a singer and lately every time I try and sing I have to stop because of the liquid buildup in my throat that I have to cough up. It's especially bad right after I vape. It feels like the vapor clings to my lungs and collects in my throat. It's become a pretty serious issue. I did switch liquid brands a few months ago, maybe that has something to do with it? Does anyone have any experience with this?

addie723

Aug 2, 2017
Hello and Welcome! What pg vg mix are you using? Maybe after 2 years of not smoking it is time to give up the vape?
Hi! I am using 70%vg 30%pg I've worked my way down to 3mg nicotine after starting at 24mg so I'm almost nicotine free but I just love vaping :( but if it's affecting me then I guess I'll have to.

Reactions: listopencil

Larry J

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Amarillo, Texas
I also experience considerable drainage, particularly right after a vape session. I seriously doubt that you are coughing up fluid from your lungs, since that would be pneumonia (but see a doctor about that). Mine is post-nasal drainage which can still be very aggravating. If you're a professional or serious singer, you should probably just quit vaping to get rid of it. However, as @Gratch suggests, a higher PG content may help. I noticed that mine got a lot worse after I switched to max VG juice.

Gratch

Jul 9, 2017
Hi! I am using 70%vg 30%pg I've worked my way down to 3mg nicotine after starting at 24mg so I'm almost nicotine free but I just love vaping :( but if it's affecting me then I guess I'll have to.
It might be best if you are a Singer, your voice is your livelyhood after all. I find high vg liquids no good for my chest i only vape 60% plus pg ones MTL.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I have been vaping for about 2 years now after using the vape to quit smoking. I am a pretty constant vaper. Over the past few weeks I've been coughing a lot and it's liquid I am coughing up. I am a singer and lately every time I try and sing I have to stop because of the liquid buildup in my throat that I have to cough up. It's especially bad right after I vape. It feels like the vapor clings to my lungs and collects in my throat. It's become a pretty serious issue. I did switch liquid brands a few months ago, maybe that has something to do with it? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Welcome and glad you joined.
Sorry to hear about your problem, could read through:
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette
Coughing at the begining

Reactions: Tonee N

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium

Earlier this year I focused on going MTL to help me with cig cravings. As a result I started using higher nic and lower VG juices. After many weeks of doing nothing but MTL like that, I tried hitting up one of my other tanks and the higher VG liquid messed with me pretty badly. I would feel like my lungs were heavy and it made me freak out a little bit. I would also occasionally start coughing after vaping the higher VG liquids. I thought it was really weird because I was using 80% VG juices before that with no problems at all. If you can you might want to try lower Wattage, lower VG, higher nic vaping in more of a MTL style to see if it works for you. Another option is Temp Control. For some reason the higher VG liquids don't bother me using Temp Control.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
A couple other people already said it but I'll add that I cough up more phlegm with VG greater than 60%. It also gives me a heavy feeling in my chest. I mix pretty much everything at 60vg 40pg and don't have any problems. I'd try a different liquid or different ratios and see if that helps. Of course, if your symptoms get worse or just for peace of mind, a visit to your PCP could be in order.

Reactions: Beamslider

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
Update: I took the advice and tried a juice with a higher pg and lower vg level and I have been breathing and singing normally since! That's so much for all the advice!
Glad to hear you're doing well with a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread