Liquid Sucralose or Xylitol

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramptholomew

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Maryland
Hi all,
I'm SURE this has been asked before, but I didn't find a specific thread about it when I searched: I'd like to buy some liquid sucralose. I see EZ-Sweetz a lot, and I'm wondering if it's an acceptable sweetener for my liquids. Also, I have a TON of pure xylitol. Can I mix that into some PG and use it as well? Thanks in advance for all info/opinions.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hi all,
I'm SURE this has been asked before, but I didn't find a specific thread about it when I searched: I'd like to buy some liquid sucralose. I see EZ-Sweetz a lot, and I'm wondering if it's an acceptable sweetener for my liquids. Also, I have a TON of pure xylitol. Can I mix that into some PG and use it as well? Thanks in advance for all info/opinions.

Read my blog on Sweetners and additives. It will tell you what you need to know.

As far as xylitol. I'm not fimilure with it but maybe this thread will be of some help.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/354017-does-anyone-use-xylitol-sweetener.html

Last edited:

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
I mixed up a Xylitol sweetener liquid (at 10% and 40% in VG & water). It sweetened beautifully and it helped with mouth hydration...but it KILLED the flavors! I had a perfect bakery blend that just needed some extra sweet - added 1-2% of the Xylitol sweetener and the flavor dropped by 50%. I tried it on something else, and the same thing happened.

Perhaps it was a quirk; perhaps not - but I abandoned that experiment.

I'm now working on a sweetener using stevia that's standardized to contain 80% Rebaudioside A (which should ensure no bitter/nasty 'stevia taste'). This is where I got it (and there's a great info-blurb): Stevia Supreme Concentrate.

It is ULTRA sweet (1/4 teaspoon = 1 cup of sugar)! I've got different dilution strengths/percentages that I'll be testing against different percentages of the typical sucralose sweetener so I can find the equivalent. If/when it works, I'll post about it in a new thread.

Oh yeah, (I almost forgot) if you try the Xylitol, don't try to mix it with alcohol - it does not dilute in PGA. I ended up diluting it in distilled water first, and then added VG (50/50 water/vg).

TCSun

Oct 18, 2013
Stevenson Ranch
I mixed up a Xylitol sweetener liquid (at 10% and 40% in VG & water). It sweetened beautifully and it helped with mouth hydration...but it KILLED the flavors! I had a perfect bakery blend that just needed some extra sweet - added 1-2% of the Xylitol sweetener and the flavor dropped by 50%. I tried it on something else, and the same thing happened.

Perhaps it was a quirk; perhaps not - but I abandoned that experiment.

I'm now working on a sweetener using stevia that's standardized to contain 80% Rebaudioside A (which should ensure no bitter/nasty 'stevia taste'). This is where I got it (and there's a great info-blurb): Stevia Supreme Concentrate.

It is ULTRA sweet (1/4 teaspoon = 1 cup of sugar)! I've got different dilution strengths/percentages that I'll be testing against different percentages of the typical sucralose sweetener so I can find the equivalent. If/when it works, I'll post about it in a new thread.

Oh yeah, (I almost forgot) if you try the Xylitol, don't try to mix it with alcohol - it does not dilute in PGA. I ended up diluting it in distilled water first, and then added VG (50/50 water/vg).

we2rcool, I am very interested in your results as I am looking for an alternative to sucralose. I read that one poster uses liquid KAL brand Stevia with success, however, it gunks up the coils at 1drop per 10ml.

If KAL uses the same concentrate of the powder you referred.. then you can make 17x4oz bottles with that 50g bag.

If that powder is a stronger concentrate and purer, then coil residue should be less

Kal - Pure Stevia Extract Liquid - 4 oz.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size: 5 Drops
Servings Per Container: 708
Amount Per Serving %DV*
Stevia (Stevia rebaudiana) (leaf extract) (Supplying Steviosides) 25 mg ~
~ Daily Value Not Established.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your diet values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
'Always glad to hear that others are looking for an alternative to sucralose. It's nasty stuff healthwise

We made 46ml of 5% dilution (1 teaspoon = approximately 2 grams) 45 ml of VG/DW (22ml of VG; 22ml of Distilled Water). If this works out, a 50gr bag would make around 1100 mls (a bit over 37 fluid oz = about 9 1/3 four-oz bottles).

We also made it with 4 teaspoons in the same amount of fluid, but it 'recrystallized' after being warmed/diluted - so that'll get used in hubby's 'flavored water' concoctions.

The package recommends mixing 2 teaspoons into 3 Tablespoons (15 mls per Tablespoon = 45ml) of water ...suggesting that 4 drops of that solution would equal the sweetening ability of 1 teaspoon of sugar in food/beverage usage. So what we have should be '4 drops = 1/2 teaspoon of sugar'....depending (of course) upon the taste buds of the person who tested it.

I'll do a drop-count-per-ml (using a standard dropper out of a 2oz bottle), just so I can get an idea of how the percentages will relate...but other than doing that, I'll be continuing 'in percentages' (we don't "do" drops :)).

For our testing, we'll be trying it at .25%; .5%; .75; 1%; 1.5% & 2% in our standard base of 10% VG/nic (80% VG; 9% distilled water; 9% sterile saline (.9%) and 2% PGA).

Hopefully :::sigh::: we'll actually get those mixed tonight so we can get on with the testing (and using!). I'll be sure to post results as soon as I have them.

Road_House

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2013
SE PA
I was wondering about sweeteners as well... I like the "Mio" brand of bottled water flavorings and thought of experimenting with them but, they have something called "Acesulfame Potassium" in them and just haven't heard much about this type of sweetener for use in vaping, so... I've been reluctant to really even try it too much.

I wouldn't recommend it. Lots of things that are acceptable for ingestion are not for inhalation.

Danoman

Moved On
Oct 11, 2013
Anniston, Al, USA
Okay, Sooooo...

I picked up a big bag of Stevia powder at the grocery store today... so as to not waste my PG and VG, what ratio should I blend this into...? Also, will PG and/or VG even dissolve it...? (I have distilled water if that's the only way to go if necessary)

The sweetener is what I haven't mixed before... no issues (thus far) on the mixing of flavors, VG, PG or Nic. So, I really dunno. Some help in the right direction would be VERY much appreciated...!!! Thanks guys (and girls too of course) ;)

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Likely the most important thing is to make sure your 'whatever sweetener powder' is as pure & free of additives & 'bulking agents' as possible...many of them are major coil-cloggers (the one common additive that comes to mind immediately is maltodextrin - basically a sugar-starch).

Most common US stevias (liquid or powder) have a bitter-strange aftertaste from the stevioside (the most common sweetening chemical in the plant). The kind of stevia we chose is standardized to contain at least 80% Reba A - which is the most complicated to extract, but has no aftertaste at all. Of course, the 'best one' is always the most expensive one :::sigh:::

This is the one we're testing: Stevia Supreme Concentrate ...and there's a great overview on 'stevias' there. It does contain added inulin - and that might be a problem, as inulin is a soluble fiber. Hopefully, the minimal amount in our dilution won't be a problem - but we won't know until we have a chance to try/test it.

Of course, make sure you measure/weigh correctly. A 10% dilution is 1 part "powder" and 9 parts "liquid" - and it's much better to weigh than to measure 'by teaspoons'). Hence, 1 gram of powder dissolved in 9mls of fluid would be a 10% dilution.

Other than using a pure powder and measuring correctly, the rest is all in the mixing, testing & vaping...and you already know how to do all that :). ::::hoping I didn't miss anything:::

Good Luck!

Danoman

Moved On
Oct 11, 2013
Anniston, Al, USA
Likely the most important thing is to make sure your 'whatever sweetener powder' is as pure & free of additives & 'bulking agents' as possible...many of them are major coil-cloggers (the one common additive that comes to mind immediately is maltodextrin - basically a sugar-starch).

Most common US stevias (liquid or powder) have a bitter-strange aftertaste from the stevioside (the most common sweetening chemical in the plant). The kind of stevia we chose is standardized to contain at least 80% Reba A - which is the most complicated to extract, but has no aftertaste at all. Of course, the 'best one' is always the most expensive one :::sigh:::

This is the one we're testing: Stevia Supreme Concentrate ...and there's a great overview on 'stevias' there. It does contain added inulin - and that might be a problem, as inulin is a soluble fiber. Hopefully, the minimal amount in our dilution won't be a problem - but we won't know until we have a chance to try/test it.

Of course, make sure you measure/weigh correctly. A 10% dilution is 1 part "powder" and 9 parts "liquid" - and it's much better to weigh than to measure 'by teaspoons'). Hence, 1 gram of powder dissolved in 9mls of fluid would be a 10% dilution.

Other than using a pure powder and measuring correctly, the rest is all in the mixing, testing & vaping...and you already know how to do all that :). ::::hoping I didn't miss anything:::

Good Luck!

Thank you we2rcool... VERY much appreciated bud...!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread