lJoy/Limitless RDTA (build tutorial and first impressions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I recently got my hands on one of these bad boys and thought I'd give some first impressions. (DISCLOSURE: iJoy sent me one and asked me to write a review, which I fully intend to do once I have tried several builds in it. FWIW, you read here my honest impression.)

The Limitless is supposed to be a collaboration between iJoy and Limitless Mods, but the box says "designed and manufactured by iJoy," so you can make up your own mind about that. Certainly the Limitless logo appears on the topper and the box.

The atty is a top-coil, bottom tank machine, what I think of as "Genesis type," but it is obviously designed for flexible wick. The primary use is for horizontal coils, although you could put verticals in there if you were willing to work at it, and the wick ports into the tank are not located below where verticals would have to go. Here's some pics:

Overall, I find it an attractive piece. It's wearing the included chuff cap, and I have decided to leave it on for my first build. The package also includes a smaller diameter drip tip, more suitable for lower watt builds, which I have not yet had an opportunity to try; as well as some different colored seals if you want to change them (the ones I got are red) plus a pair of Allen keys for the set screws and two twisted wire coils, but no data as to what kind of wire or how they'd ohm out:
20160518_182459[1].jpg

The deck, as you can see, is a two-post, four-hole V-style. Socket head set screws thread in from the side and the supplied screws work well enough so far, but I'll probably change them for cup point grub screws, as usual, just as soon as I get my roundtuit all polished up:
20160518_182516[1].jpg

And a vertical shot showing the wick holes in the "corners" of the deck:
20160518_182522[1].jpg

Frankly, I have shied away from this type of atty before now as I thought they'd leak if it fell over. So far, mine has not. This may be slowed or stopped by the way I wick it, but I have laid it on its side for 30 seconds; the fluid level in the tank did not appear to noticeably drop, it didn't puke juice on the desk, and the deck was not flooded on pulling the cap. I was further concerned with this particular model as it looked like o-ring friction is the only thing holding it together in the photos. Having it in my hands, I am highly pleased to report this is untrue. The deck section has threads around the outer rim and the central stainless piece is internally threaded to match it; once threaded on, the tank is solid and secure, and the sealing o-ring at the top of the glass is under pressure to make it tight. The top cap pulls off, like a regular dripper, exposing the coils. Air flow is controlled by twisting the chuff (or drip tip) in the top cap. Wide open it breathes very freely and can be build low for cloud for those so desiring.

For my first build, I decided on SS316 28ga twists, 7/6 wrap on 3mm, for .257Ω:
20160518_194933[1].jpg

20160518_194946[1].jpg

Wicking the silly thing is child's play. I wicked rayon as always, and pulled a bit less than half a rope through the coils, and cutting the tails flush with the base of the atty:
20160518_195903[1].jpg

I divided the tails 1/3rd-2/3rd and cut the 2/3rds part below the level of the deck, so the tail was full volume going through the deck holes, but thinned below in the tank area:
20160518_200112[1].jpg

Once I had that done, I wet the upper section of the wick with juice and shoved them back into the wick ports; reinstalled the glass-- it just pushes on the o-rings-- and threaded the barrel on the post/deck assembly, which seals the tank glass top and bottom:
20160518_200551[1].jpg

Pulling the top cap part way reveals a filling port. I am forced to assume the wicks actually wick the juice down into the tank, before wicking it back up to the coils, as there are no other holes in the deck by which it might go there. It does work, however:
20160518_200917[1].jpg

On the whole, I am highly pleased with the thing so far. It breathes beautifully, and its flavor is comparable to my Wotofo Sapor when built for flavor; better than most tanks by far. I intend to take it to work, so I put in a coil set that will bring the surface flux into the green at no more than 40 watts, and it works great down there, but I have it on the RX right now, and have been vaping it at 100 watts. It's cloudy as all getout in that range, with no muting of flavor I can ascertain. It drinks juice that high, of course, but this is not abnormal.

I intend to build it a few more times-- I want a beast set for high watts, a tootle puffer build down below 20 watts using the smaller drip tip, and something to try some TC-- so I'm not going to write a full review until I have had opportunity for further testing. But I am impressed so far, and I can recommend it if you're looking for a 4ml capacity RDTA in the mid $30s range. You won't be disappointed in this.

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I've had my eye on this one. Love the top fill method on my Crius (not by iJoy, but the first to my knowledge to feature a pop-up fill), Tornado, and Goodger. However, the lack of a spare tank or single coil adapter/isolator has kinda put me off. I already have both Avocados and the Theorem...

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I've had my eye on this one. Love the top fill method on my Crius (not by iJoy, but the first to my knowledge to feature a pop-up fill), Tornado, and Goodger. However, the lack of a spare tank or single coil adapter/isolator has kinda put me off. I already have both Avocados and the Theorem...
There isn't any adapter for single coil of which I am aware, but it wouldn't take any more than just a couple plastic plugs for two of the wick holes and to run a short production run of chuffs/drip tips with only one cut out to limit the air. It could, in fact, be built single coil the way it is now. You could sling a horizontal coil between the posts easily enough-- don't have my calipers handy, but I'll measure it later-- and divide the wick tails into two juice ports each. Want me to ask about the dingle coil adapter? That couldn't cost much, aside from making a mold for the tips.

I don't have either Avocado or the Theorem, so I can't offer a direct comparison. All I can say is, if any of them offer better flavor, it must make your eyes water. I have the Limitless filled with my DIY Clove juice, and it you chain it she'll make your lips numb :)

Sed8op8

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2016
I have had mine for awhile now and have tried a fre different builds in it ranging from plain ole 24g kanthal to my current build which is 316l fused Clapton 2x28g x 34g 3mm id 6 spaced wraps which is ohming out to a .18 and the flavor is amazing! It seriously functions like an RDA with a tank attached to the bottom and you can drip in this just like an rda and it works amazingly.

I have had no problem with leaking and have found it laying on its side after getting knocked over mistakenly and sitting over night without !

All in all i think ijoy and limitless hit a grandslam and really my complaints are few and more nitpicks an extra glass would have been nIce a 510 adapter and the lack of a single coil option are really the only cons I could find.

This is a great little RDA/rdta and is one of my favorite attys right now and wether your chasing flavour or chucking clouds this bad chicken has got you covered

melody19316

Multiple ID Suspension
May 21, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Squonkysquonkster

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
usa
Just got mine today. So far so good, really digging the density of vapor and cloud output without any loss of flavor at all...I have found I have to tip it upside down to continously wick my thirsty staple staggered fused at 2.5 id....I made gaps for air escape the wick channels just like how I wick my theorem but so far my first build needs a tip upside down every 2 hits....no big deal at all, still not dripping lol....any ideas? I realize it is somewhat the nature of this tank style, just don't want condensation to drip through my griffin drip tip into my mouth as much when I tip it loloo...

Reactions: suprtrkr

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Just got mine today. So far so good, really digging the density of vapor and cloud output without any loss of flavor at all...I have found I have to tip it upside down to continously wick my thirsty staple staggered fused at 2.5 id....I made gaps for air escape the wick channels just like how I wick my theorem but so far my first build needs a tip upside down every 2 hits....no big deal at all, still not dripping lol....any ideas? I realize it is somewhat the nature of this tank style, just don't want condensation to drip through my griffin drip tip into my mouth as much when I tip it loloo...
Hhhmmm... That's interesting. I am not really a high-power cloud chaser, I'm normally quite happy in the 30-60 watt range. A couple of questions: What did your staple build ohm out, and how many watts are you running it? And what wick do you favor? I personally wick rayon; I think it wicks better, tastes cleaner and is more resistant to burning and choking in the coil than cotton. JMHO, of course, YMMV. Put up a pic or two, maybe. Surely we can figure this out.

Squonkysquonkster

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
usa
Pics later, at work boss thinks I am typing a report lol...chaddos cotton, .07 build on dna200 reuleaux. 110 watts. Fluffy wick combed out at bottom of tails down to just below top of glass air gaps put into corners of wick slots as to allow better juice flow. Like I said not bad just needs tipping lol...

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
I have been on the fence with this one. I have watched quite a few reviews and have noticed different wicking techniques. Some run the wicking to the bottom of the tank and others stop right at the top of the glass. I noticed in your pics you went all the way down with wicking.
Imho the wicking to the bottom is simpler but stopping the wicking just below the deck allows more juice in the tank. Stopping the wicking short seems it would require constant tipping for the thirsty builds.
Genesis style never seemed to suit me is what has given me pause, but this one is a bit different than a Genesis.
From what you mentioned several online say it outperforms the avocado and theorem but I haven't experienced it so just passing other folks comments.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Pics later, at work boss thinks I am typing a report lol...chaddos cotton, .07 build on dna200 reuleaux. 110 watts. Fluffy wick combed out at bottom of tails down to just below top of glass air gaps put into corners of wick slots as to allow better juice flow. Like I said not bad just needs tipping lol...
Well, I think the short wicks are why you have to tip it. I ran mine to the bottom of the tank. I can't get a dry hit at 100 watts chaining like that.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I have been on the fence with this one. I have watched quite a few reviews and have noticed different wicking techniques. Some run the wicking to the bottom of the tank and others stop right at the top of the glass. I noticed in your pics you went all the way down with wicking.
Imho the wicking to the bottom is simpler but stopping the wicking just below the deck allows more juice in the tank. Stopping the wicking short seems it would require constant tipping for the thirsty builds.
Genesis style never seemed to suit me is what has given me pause, but this one is a bit different than a Genesis.
From what you mentioned several online say it outperforms the avocado and theorem but I haven't experienced it so just passing other folks comments.
Interesting idea. I don't know how much volume (or juice capacity) the wick tail actually occupies. Cotton or rayon, the actual fibers are not massive. It's bushy, but it's still mostly air, I think. One thing I like about rayon is its super wickability. Just a few fibers are enough. I thinned the tails to 1/3 volume, leaving it full just through the deck to stop it from leaking on it's side. I think I could have made them much thinner and still had great wicking. I have build drippers where you need to use a magnifying glass to see the tiny few threads of fiber going down to the bottom of the well, and it still wicks the well dry. I'll test that out for the full review. I can measure fluid volumes fairly closely.

I haven't an Avocado or a Theorem, so I can't compare. But I can't imagine them being a lot better. This thing isn't perfect-- what is?-- but it's better than merely good.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Is that with high vg? I'm running 80/20
I run 40/60; fairly high, but not max VG. Too much VG gives me phlegm. I have tested wicking pure VG with rayon versus cotton-- cut two pieces equal length, stick the bottom ends in VG and see which gets wet at the top first. I would not expect any problem in this atty even with pure VG, no matter what wick you like. There's plenty of room for a bunch of wick. With cotton, of course, you must beware choking. But a little trial and error ought to fix that up quickly.

Squonkysquonkster

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2015
usa
I run 40/60; fairly high, but not max VG. Too much VG gives me phlegm. I have tested wicking pure VG with rayon versus cotton-- cut two pieces equal length, stick the bottom ends in VG and see which gets wet at the top first. I would not expect any problem in this atty even with pure VG, no matter what wick you like. There's plenty of room for a bunch of wick. With cotton, of course, you must beware choking. But a little trial and error ought to fix that up quickly.
Small adjustment to my wicks and it's much better, the action of just tipping to vape is sufficient now. Almost perfect, same wicks just allowed for more air to leave the tank by poking space between the wick and posts. I'll Renwick tonight close to tank btm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread