Lnw tigers blood concentrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Has anyvone used LNWs tigers blood concentrate? Im trying my first diy using this flavor which says its a strawberry coconut, but i cant get those flavors from it.
I first tried 1% tigers blood and 1% vanilla bean ice cream in 10ml but the vanilla bean was way too strong so i raised it to 20ml with no more vanilla bean and kept adding tigers blood at something like 2%, 4%, then probably 8%, kept adding .1, .2, .3, then .4, or something along those lines and im just not getting those notes. Its with a 30/70 pg/vg with 3mg nic. I even added .2ml tfa sweetener and still nothing. Im getting slightly more than vg flavor each time after raising it to 20ml, but clearly not a strawberry coconut blend

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Well, it is a concentrate that's made to use singly, in your own plain PG, plain VG, and nic base. Since you didn't try it that way, (according to what you said you did)...I'd try it again, but using just it and no other flavorings, to make a small, maybe 5mL sample batch.

To find out exactly how much PG, VG, and nic base to use in the sample...you really need to use an eliquid calculator. I use this one from ecigvape.com, but there are many others, too:

E-Liquid Calculator Ten Flavors with PG/VG Adjusting

Plug into the calculator fields the required info. it asks you for (nic base mg and what PG/VG ratio your nic is in, what your desired nic mg and PG/VG ratio is to be, what size batch you want to make, and what % flavoring you'd like to use. I'd personally try 5% of the TB for your first sample. (That's usually a pretty safe % for a concentrate or all-in-one flavoring.) Hit the Calculate button and it will pop up the recipe that tells you exactly how much of each ingredient to use (in mLs, %, grams, and/or drops).

Make the sample according to that recipe, and then test vape it. If it's OK...you then know exactly what amount (in %, or mls, or grams, etc.) of each ingredient to use...because the recipe shows you that. You can then use that recipe to make any size batch you want...simply by changing the Quantity field to be the size batch you want to make. Then hit Calculate and the new batch size recipe will pop up.

If it's not to your liking though, follow the same steps to make another 5mL sample...but change the flavoring % in the calculator, taking baby steps when increasing the TB %. Make it, test vape it, etc., etc. Keep doing that until you find what meets your taste requirements. Also remember though, many mixes will change taste as they age/steep. So, I wouldn't just dump out any sample you make. I'd retest each one after a day or so, and continue retesting them for awhile.

It's also important to take notes on what you're doing, to label or some other way identify what recipe was used to make each sample, etc. Nothing is worse than to finally make something you love...but have no idea exactly what was in it, nor the amounts of each ingredient!

By the way, I read on LNW website, in the reviews for it, that 1 person said they let their Tiger's Blood steep/age for 5 days and it was wonderful. Another person said it was very good immediately after making it.

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Ya at first i did jus a 10ml sample using the calculator, when i used too much vanilla bean, even jus 1%, i used the calculator again to make it a 20ml, only this time wo adding more vanilla bean. I would keep shaking it, keep sucking it up with the dropper and emptying it in a different part so i was sucking up, dumping, sucking up the same stuff over again, shake it, suck it up, empty it a bunch of times, let it sit for a couple-few hours, repeat. Ya it prob should be a stand alone flavor, but i didnt think it would hurt to add a bit of vanilla, then add more TB until it was mostly TB w just a hint of vanilla, but the vanilla is soooo much stronger than the TB, the TB is really weak. I have 1ml (or pretty close) in a 20ml batch with .1ml vanilla bean. Can barely taste anything. Most vg with a slight vanilla and slight coconut, no stawberry. I started off using the calculator and remembering how much TB I added, but after the 3rd-4th time adding i dont remember exactly how much i used. Close, maybe .1 or .2ml off. I wasnt expecting it to be so weak. After the 4th time adding, i let it sit for a few days and it didn't taste any different. Doesnt seem like one of those flavors that needs to steep. This is my first diy, but i have bought soooo much juice i can tell when it needs to steep. After the last time adding TB and letting it sit for a few days with no change proved that it doesnt need steeping. Having the TB w jus a slight hint of VB just sounded like it would be so damn tasty i couldnt resist lol. It is a concentrate so i didnt think it would hurt to mix it with something thats used mostly as a mixer. All the other flavors i have say to start with 1%, the TB is the only one i couldnt find a % to start with.

The nic i got is 100mg 50/50.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
All the other flavors i have say to start with 1%, the TB is the only one i couldnt find a % to start with.
Where are you finding suggested starting percentages? I checked all my usual resources (ELR, ATF, VU, Reddit, 99f,DIYforDummies), as well as LNW's site; and i could find virtually nothing. Of the two references I found, where someone used any LNW concentrate as a stand-alone; one was at 20%, and the other was at 22% (neither was for Tigers Blood).

I don't think I have ever said this to a new mixer before; but you may be severely under flavoring your mix.

I agree with @JCinFLA, that you should probably focus on just the TB to begin with. Get that to a likeable mix; and then you can start experimenting with additional concentrates.

If you have several small empty bottles, I might be inclined to mix 5mL (or even smaller?) batches, of 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20%, to start with. Then you can dial in in more specifically from there. You can even leave out the nicotine at this stage, to keep the cost minimal, and preserve your inventory.

Best of luck to you!:)

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Where are you finding suggested starting percentages? I checked all my usual resources (ELR, ATF, VU, Reddit, 99f,DIYforDummies), as well as LNW's site; and i could find virtually nothing. Of the two references I found, where someone used any LNW concentrate as a stand-alone; one was at 20%, and the other was at 22% (neither was for Tigers Blood).

I don't think I have ever said this to a new mixer before; but you may be severely under flavoring your mix.

I agree with @JCinFLA, that you should probably focus on just the TB to begin with. Get that to a likeable mix; and then you can start experimenting with additional concentrates.

If you have several small empty bottles, I might be inclined to mix 5mL (or even smaller?) batches, of 5%, 10%, 15%, and 20%, to start with. Then you can dial in in more specifically from there. You can even leave out the nicotine at this stage, to keep the cost minimal, and preserve your inventory.

Best of luck to you!:)
I got like 7-8 15ml bottles and on the side of every bottle it says to start with 1%. Tiger blood is the only one that doesnt, but it doesnt have any starting %. They arent all TNW flavors though. I think the TB may be the only one. The others are cap, tfa, and flavor west, but they all came from LNW website, and they had % on the website too.

Most definitely under flavoring the TB. Even at 1%, the vanilla bean was over flavored. Since every flavor i have (aside from TB) says start with 1%, thats what i did. Figured its better to under flavor than over flavor because its easier to add more flavor than more base.

Im definitely going to have to start over, and with the TB ill do it alone this time. But for future reference, when i do mix flavors that say to start with 1%, do i do each one 1%? Or if i do two flavors make each one .5% so it totals 1%?

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Idk man, im just reading what it says on the bottle lol.
TFA- Kiwi Double- 1%
" - Strawberry (ripe)- 1%
" - Sweetener- 1%
Flavor West- Green Apple-1%
" - Yellow Cake- 1%
Capella- Sugar Cookie v2- 1%
" - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream- 1%
LNW- Tigers Blood- N/A

Looks like they are all printed on the same label, the background of the label is the same, then they have the brand in a box on the top, flavor in the middle in the same font as the others, they each have a lot number then the size. Then on the side they all say;
Concentrated flavoring Shake well before use

Suggested Use: Start with 1% and mix well. Store in a cool, dry place.

Contains propylene glycol, artificial flavoring, water. (Or what ever else it has or doesnt have in it)

Made in the USA

Distributed by Liquid Nicotine Whosalers

So idk if its just a generic label and all their flavors they bottled/labeled say 1%, or dont have a starting %, if some say 15-20% because i did see some on the website that did, but the ones i have all say 1%.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Idk man, im just reading what it says on the bottle lol.
TFA- Kiwi Double- 1%
" - Strawberry (ripe)- 1%
" - Sweetener- 1%
Flavor West- Green Apple-1%
" - Yellow Cake- 1%
Capella- Sugar Cookie v2- 1%
" - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream- 1%
LNW- Tigers Blood- N/A

Looks like they are all printed on the same label, the background of the label is the same, then they have the brand in a box on the top, flavor in the middle in the same font as the others, they each have a lot number then the size. Then on the side they all say;
Concentrated flavoring Shake well before use

Suggested Use: Start with 1% and mix well. Store in a cool, dry place.

Contains propylene glycol, artificial flavoring, water. (Or what ever else it has or doesnt have in it)

Made in the USA

Distributed by Liquid Nicotine Whosalers

So idk if its just a generic label and all their flavors they bottled/labeled say 1%, or dont have a starting %, if some say 15-20% because i did see some on the website that did, but the ones i have all say 1%.

1% on all of those flavors except the sweetener is waaay too low.

JadidasKV

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2016
Ya im going to guess its probably around 15%. I put another .8 ml in whats left of the 20ml i made (probably about 13-15ml left) and it's just barely starting to come through. When i finish whats left (because its not that bad), im going to start it at 12% and go from there. I was keeping track of the recipe at first, but after taking some out to try it, adding more flavor, testing, adding again so many times, it was just too much to keep track of. It wasnt a total waste. It came out half decent in the end and gave me some what of a starting point when i try again lol

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Since every flavor i have (aside from TB) says start with 1%, thats what i did. Figured its better to under flavor than over flavor because its easier to add more flavor than more base.
I understand now. It sounds to me like a generic (read: non-committal) label. Either they are lazy, ignorant of what is really needed, or just too afraid to take a stand. So they default to a "safe" level of 1%.

I would not consider 1% as a starting point for any of the flavors you listed (most somewhere higher; Sweetener lower). Of course, to be fair, the percentage desired will vary a lot based on how you want to use it. Is it a stand-alone? A primary/base note? A secondary/supporting note? Or, is it intended to be completely hidden in the background, and just enhancing one or more notes?
Im definitely going to have to start over, and with the TB ill do it alone this time. But for future reference, when i do mix flavors that say to start with 1%, do i do each one 1%? Or if i do two flavors make each one .5% so it totals 1%?
The dreaded answer no one likes to hear: "it depends...."

In the broadest of terms, with a million exceptions, this is kina-sorta not really but mostly (do you get that I am hedging BIG time?), this is how I do it if I am working from scratch (meaning no recipe as a starting point). It is not the fastest, it is not the best, it is not the way everyone else does it, but it works for me, and stisfies my obsessive compulsive need to understand what is going on in my mix.

First; I need to have an understanding where my primary/dominant/base flavor works best for me by its self. Don't confuse "best" with "this is great; and I can vape it all day." "Best," in this instance means, at what percentage do I like it most for giving me all the flavor(s) the concentrate can give me without having any over-flavoring issues (chemical, fake, off-putting; or even a diminishing level of flavor). This usually requires that I spend a little time testing the ingredient by itself to find my optimal percentage.

This becomes my starting "max total flavor percentage."

Then whatever concentrate(s) I add to it are deducted from the primary concentrate, and added to the new ingredient.

So, as an example of what I am saying so poorly:
I want to use flavor X as the core of my new recipe. I have never used flavor X before. So, I spend a little time working with flavor X by itself, and I learn that it tastes best (for me) at 8%.

Because flavor X is best at 8%; 8% becomes my starting flavor threshold.

The start of my recipe:
8% flavor X

I know flavor X would probably taste good with flavor Y lingering in the background. I don't want flavor Y to share center-stage with flavor X; but I want it at about half as noticable as flavor X. I have used flavor Y a lot in the past, and I know it is at its optimal percentage (by itself; for me) is 4%; but I only want it in the background at half strength, so I settle on 2%. (Note: If I have not used flavor Y; I will benefit greatly by spending a bit of time doing some solo tasting here as well.)

Because 8% is my working threshold, and I want to use 2% flavor Y, I reduce flavor X by 2%. Now my growing recipe looks like this:
6% flavor X
2% flavor Y

But, looking at this, and knowing flavor X is not a very dominating flavor, and flavor Y can be kind of assertive. I think I am going to err on the side of caution, and tweak the base note up just a bit (to start anyway). Now the revised looks like this:
Initial Recipe
6.5% flavor X
1.5% flavor Y
(in the PG/VG base of my choice. Nic optional)

Okay, this looks like it is at least in the ballpark, so now is the time to mix my first testing batch. I start small. If I am fairly confident, this will require little to no aging, I will start with a 5mL batch. If it is going to need time, and multiple tastings, I might do 10mL.

Mix, shake the living daylights out of it (make sure to leave enough room in the bottle to shake well), and set up my atomizer with fresh wick and a clean coil.

Now for the moment of truth; tasting time. I set my hardware to the lower end of its preferred power range, and set the airflow near the middle. I put 0.25-0.50mL into the atomizer and take my first puffs (don't forget to prime the coil(s)). How does it taste? What is it I am tasting? I jot down my thoughts. I take a couple more puffs. How is it tasting now? A couple more notes.

Now I bump up the wattage a bit. Take a puff or two. What's the difference; better/worse? If it is better; I'll bump a bit more and repeat tasting. I continue this with the power until the flavor begins to suffer. Then I back it back to where it was best.

Now I repeat the process with the airflow; opening/closing the air control until the flavor is as good as it is going to get.

Now my hardware seems to be ideally set for this initial recipe. I again consider what the juice tastes like. What do i like about it? What don't I like? how does it compare to what I thought it would taste like? What is missing? Finally I write down my final thoughts of the first tasting, and include what my hardware setup is like.

Now I stop for the day. I go back to vaping one of my other e-liquids; as well as the rest of my day.

The next day I revisit my new creation. I return my hardware to the settings that were "best," and put another 0.25ml into the atty. Take a few puffs. How is it tasting? Re-read my notes from yesterday. How is the flavor tasting today; compared with yesterday? Write another note or two.

If the flavor has changed a lot; I might park the rest; and see if it continues to change tomorrow. If the flavor is pretty much as i remembered from yesterday (no real change), then I might consider my first adjustments.

For adjustments; I find it is best to do only one at a time. First; what would I think could make this mix better? Well, in our example: flavor X was kinda weak, and I was tasting too much of flavor Y. I also thought flavor X was missing something. Which is more important to me: the weak base note, or the missing something? Because I am not yet sure what is missing, and I know X is weaker than I want, I am going to focus on that for my first change.

Revised recipe #1
7% flavor X
1% flavor Y

I do not try to adjust the remaining volume from the first mix. It is too difficult to do with any real precision; and the monetary investment is just too little. I don't throw out the first batch yet (it can be useful for comparison). I mix a fresh batch of this new iteration; and repeat the tasting process (though the hardware is pretty close if not perfect).

If there was little to no change in the first recipe; and the revised recipe needs further adjustment, I might go ahead and do a second revision on the same day (assuming I have time and interest). So now my revised recipe has the balance I want; but it is still missing something. In my mind I am describing this "something" as brightness.

I have used flavor Z successfully, to add brightness to other recipes, so I decide to try it here. (If I am not sure what to use, I may start a new thread in the DIY E-Liquid section of ECF, and explain, and ask for suggestions along with starting percentages... and go from there.)

Now I have a decision to make. Do i merely add the new ingredient? Or, do I need to reduce both the remaining ingredients, to maintain my 8% total flavor "ceiling?" Again, it depends... I "think" 0.10% of flavor Z should be enough to add the missing brightness, so I decide to just go for it. Here is the newest revision:
Revised recipe #1
7% flavor X
1% flavor Y
0.10% flavor Z

Mix... taste... note. Stop for the day.

Revisit the next day(s). If it is what I wanted... hooray! I have a finished recipe. If not; I continue to revise s l o w l y, until I reach my goal (or give up:facepalm:). These revisions can occur over months, even years, all just depending on how complex, how motivated, and how much I care about its completion.

I have had success right out of the gate on the first try, and I have had recipes with 12 revisions; it just depends on how picky I am being. (And how lucky I get) Mixers that have a good working knowledge of the individual ingredients they are using; generally have an easier, faster time of it, than mixers just flinging ingredients together on a wing and a prayer.

That said, and to wrap this up for the moment, this is not the only way to mix, nor is it necessarily best. It just happens to be "best" for me. What's "best" is what works the most satisfactorily for you. I imagine other would be willing to share their methods; and I would encourage you to consider how they might work for you.:)

Oh, and going back to your TB +VBIC question:
If I was going to go the "wing-and-a-prayer" method; I would probably start with a 10% ratio. By which, I mean: if I was starting with 12% TB, I would use no more than 1.2% of VBIC (1.2 is 10% of 12). Taste, give it a day or three, and taste again. Adjust from there. But, figure out where you need the TB to be, first! ;)
(Some mixers will even mix up a good working single flavor mix of one concentrate, and a second good working single flavor mix of the second concentrate; and then mix the two together, in varying ratios "on the fly" (just like combining two commercial e-liquids together to make something new). This can give them an "in the ballpark" idea of what the final recipe might look like. I haven't had a lot of success with it; but other have.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread