Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
“We are so accustomed to the comforts of 'I cannot', 'I do not want to' and 'it is too difficult' that we forget to realize when we stop doing things for ourselves and expect others to dance around us, we are not achieving greatness. We have made ourselves weak.” ― Pandora Poikilos

Couldn't agree more. User can't even replace the consumable on a product, they're only asking for disappointment if not trouble.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: Eskie

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
They couldn't afford the rents? The only ones that can are big banks and chain pharmacies. Not just the little dive bars either. There was what regarded as one of the top restaurants in NY called the Union Square Cafe. It was on Union Square which when they opened was a pretty crappy and somewhat sketchy park. The rent was good but kept going up. About a year ago (maybe 2) the landlord wanted to increase the rent from $30,000 a month to $200,000. Why? The park has been completely rebuilt about 10 years ago and the area around it is now one of the hottest spots in Manhattan. Needless to say there was no way the restaurant, which was already very expensive, could ever cover that and closed. I think it's now a Bank of America branch. They relocated like 5 blocks away from Union Square where the rent was tolerable.

You can still find great dive bars in areas of Brooklyn, but they don't last long as the areas they're in gentrify and rents skyrocket.

Figured as much – Toronto is suffering from the same real-estate epidemic! Way too many popular joints/retailers that are forced to close the doors due to the increase in property value driving rent up. Our banks are even pulling out of the B&M market which leaves chain pharmacies and crappy franchise coffee shops. It’s a sad reality.

toml44

Unresolved Status
May 14, 2019
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I am curious who dictates these juice prices. Here in the Great White North we have our cheaper house brands sold out of B&M’s, and budget juice from online sources only. But the commercial juice is all priced very similar and only a small percent difference between our retailers. You would think with such a high markup would allow flexibility in undercutting your competition.

Reactions: Eskie

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Figured as much – Toronto is suffering from the same real-estate epidemic! Way too many popular joints/retailers that are forced to close the doors due to the increase in property value driving rent up. Our banks are even pulling out of the B&M market which leaves chain pharmacies and crappy franchise coffee shops. It’s a sad reality.
Sad to hear that Dangerous Dan's closed up shop, no more Colossal Colon Clogger Combo's...

Quad C Burger
24 oz ground beef patty
1/4 lb. of cheddar
1/4 lb. of bacon
2 fried eggs
A small poutine
A large milkshake

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Sad to hear that Dangerous Dan's closed up shop, no more Colossal Colon Clogger Combo's...

Quad C Burger
24 oz ground beef patty
1/4 lb. of cheddar
1/4 lb. of bacon
2 fried eggs
A small poutine
A large milkshake

You’ve eaten at Dan’s? Did you try the complimentary defibrillator? It’s fun and gets the heart kicking again!

Yes, very sad. It turned into a Pizza Nova cause Toronto needed more crappy pizza. The Real Jerk across the street, another Toronto landmark, was forced to look elsewhere due to greedy slumlords

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I am curious who dictates these juice prices. Here in the Great White North we have our cheaper house brands sold out of B&M’s, and budget juice from online sources only. But the commercial juice is all priced very similar and only a small percent difference between our retailers. You would think with such a high markup would allow flexibility in undercutting your competition.

Often times there are gentlemen's agreements you the business owner agree to go by before product makers will supply your business. No price under cutting would be one of them.

I owned a bicycle shop at one point and my suppliers made me sign agreements to charge retail. We all stayed within a buck or two of retail prices.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Often times there are gentlemen's agreements you the business owner agree to go by before product makers will supply your business. No price under cutting would be one of them.

I owned a bicycle shop at one point and my suppliers made me sign agreements to charge retail. We all stayed within a buck or two

I read once that the actual manufacture of juice sold by most vendors is done by a handful of large scale producers. The vendor just supplies the recipe.

Probably wasn't that way a few years ago. Lots of small scale vendors making their own juice. If you want to expand it's probably more cost effective to have it made for you. Economy of scale, no need for your own manufacturing premises with all the regs you would have to follow. Having to regularly expand the premises as your business grows. I'm sure there are vendors out there making their own juice still. Maybe that would work if you have a small stable business selling premium juice. B&M's used to make their own in a back room but that was squashed in the US by regulators.

I really don't know how the juice making business functions today. It would be interesting to know.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

I owned a bicycle shop at one point and my suppliers made me sign agreements to charge retail. We all stayed within a buck or two

Thanks. Yes I was aware of both gentlemen’s and contract agreements. Guess I should have elaborated a bit more on my post. If there is any kind of agreement made, then the price is set by either the manufacture or the distributor based on that market. Don’t know if the markup on bikes have changed over the years but back when I was involved in the industry it was not a lot. But yes, the majority of bicycle B&M’s complied to a set markup…+/- a small percentage

But in this thread we are discussing the high prices vape B&M retail outlets charge but if they are following a certain code of conduct, then that price is just complying to that code.

I read once that the actual manufacture of juice sold by most vendors is done by a handful of large scale producers. The vendor just supplies the recipe.

Many of the large commercial brands are locally bottled here in Canada despite said brand may be based elsewhere in the world. There are some that are imported.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
You’ve eaten at Dan’s? Did you try the complimentary defibrillator? It’s fun and gets the heart kicking again!

Yes, very sad. It turned into a Pizza Nova cause Toronto needed more crappy pizza. The Real Jerk across the street, another Toronto landmark, was forced to look elsewhere due to greedy slumlords
Never did, always wanted to but never did. Toby's and the Fire Pit were the places back in the day when I lived in T.O.

That is one thing I do miss, no decent Jerk, Deli or Italian down here. I used to live at Commisso's and Katz's.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I really don't know how the juice making business functions today. It would be interesting to know.
We send the recipe to the lab and they mix, bottle and label it with our house brand label. We just put it on the shelves for sale. That same lab bottles juice for a multiple premium and house brand labels.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Never did, always wanted to but never did. Toby's and the Fire Pit were the places back in the day when I lived in T.O.

That is one thing I do miss, no decent Jerk, Deli or Italian down here. I used to live at Commisso's and Katz's.

Dan’s was one of those places you had to experience at least once in your life….twice if you survived the first time. The burgers were comical they were sooo big!

Eaten at Kat’z, but not Commisso’s. Damn....getting hungry!

• Winner
Reactions: TrollDragon

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Something a lot of vape shops are now learning is that business is hard. Really hard. You can't run a business for a prolonged period of time without coming to the realization that the business model you started with will not work going forward without constant revision and adaptation to market forces, government meddling, and new innovations in technology that affects your business. This has always been the case and it's not going to change.

The shops that say the internet is killing their business are only fooling themselves. It's their inability to adapt and react to new business realities that is the real problem. Any business that even entertains the notion that internet sales are going to slow or go away are dooming their business to failure. Whining about the internet is not a useful business strategy and will not help.

If I do a Google search for any vape related item I can think of the same players always show at the top of my list (like element vape, vapordna, myfreedomsmokes, etc.). SEO is expensive and complicated, but extremely effective since most people don't even go to page 2 of a Google search. Some of these players are internet only and some are B&M and internet sales. The B&Ms that transition to the new reality that internet can used as an adjunct to their B&M stand a much better chance of survival than those that don't. It's not the only way to stay viable as a B&M, but it becoming more prevalent as a viable strategy.

The notion that raising prices even higher because of the loss of local consumers due to internet sales is probably not a viable strategy for the long term health of a business. There is a point that local consumers are going to say no. B&Ms that add excellent service and support to their customers, as well as a social experience, can charge a reasonable premium over internet prices for those value adds. But the reasonable premium needs to stay reasonable for this strategy to work. The reasonable premium can be different depending on the local clientele and the business owner will have to adjust according to sales numbers and profitability. This is no different than any other business that offers goods for sale. Service industries are pretty much exempt from this because of the need for physical presence at the clients site. The internet can't fix a plumbing issue... yet.

So any business that is whining about the internet killing their business is wasting effort that could be used to fix their business by making intelligent changes that will ensure their future success that embrace, or at least acknowledge, the new business reality they find themselves in. There are many ways to succeed in business, but there are infinite ways to fail. It's up to the business owner to figure out the difference between the two if they want to survive.

So I guess finally, what business owner didn't see this coming? Why didn't they adjust to this? What did they think the outcome would be? Just baffling really that the internet juggernaut has been coming for years and it is just now noticed, or just ignored I guess.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I think a lot of the first gen of B&M's were vaping enthusiasts who maybe didn't have a lot of business experience. Or people with a little business history who saw an opening. Probably the same with any new thing. When there was only a handful of vaping places around you could probably make some good money selling juice, plus hang out all day yakking with vapers.

Then there were B&M's on every corner and new regulations. And consumers were more aware of the internet and had more friends who vaped. A lot of the shops came and went quickly. Nobody knew what business model would work. That's probably still not clear.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I think a lot of the first gen of B&M's were vaping enthusiasts who maybe didn't have a lot of business experience. Or people with a little business history who saw an opening. Probably the same with any new thing. When there was only a handful of vaping places around you could probably make some good money selling juice, plus hang out all day yakking with vapers.

Then there were B&M's on every corner and new regulations. And consumers were more aware of the internet and had more friends who vaped. A lot of the shops came and went quickly. Nobody knew what business model would work. That's probably still not clear.

Reminds me of video tape rental stores. Small shops popped up everywhere, franchises were started, then it was over.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Can’t get rid of it or don’t want to get rid of it? Depending on make model and condition, there is a healthy market for older turntables.

Well, I could sell it for many dollars more than I bought it for, my emotional attachment to the thing says, "You can't". So I'll keep it. After I die, some one will ask why did the old fool hang on to this relic. From the grave, I'll holler, "Ebay".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread