Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I only have one decent shop near me, out of the three around here.

One really pushes a poor quality rewrap 18650 battery and believes the claims on the wrap that states it is a 40-60 amp battery, and even sells new (to mech) vapers a mech mod and these batteries and tells them it is perfectly safe to build .08 ohm builds on them with this battery. After he got very mad for me pointing out it was a rewraped 15A battery (with proof) and called me a liar and a few other choice words, I never went back.

The next shop has some pretty cool employees, but they only carry drop in coil tanks, a few main stream regulated mods, pods, drop in coils, and a couple dual coil RDAs (all at a very high mark up). Since I'm a single battery mech squonk user with single coil RDAs, they dont have anything to offer me. I keep going back every few months to see if they have anything that would interest me, and to buy my empty 120ml juice bottles for my DIY juices (they sell them for the same price as online, so it just makes sense to buy them in person).

The last one was my favorite for a long time. They are small and have good prices. I would buy from them quite often when they had their used mod section. They had some pretty awesome mods, sometimes even pretty rare ones too, for very cheap (about 1/4 of the price of the new counterparts). They would let you trade in old gear for credit on new stuff, which was cool. I have bought out their whole used case a couple times (mostly rare or expensive mechs) and resell them on eBay making a decent profit. Now that they are no longer allowed to sell used gear, they dont carry much hardware at all and basically stay open on their juice sales.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
Much of the B&M Retail Landscape / regardless of the Product, is under continued stress due to the continued proliferation of On-Line Sales / Discounting .. I never thought I'd see the day that you could select, buy and have delivered, a vehicle ..

Personally, I place a high value in face-to-face transactions .. even if they cost more out of pocket .. I'm sure we are evolving to the point where VR will simulate that experience, and with it, supplant an even greater portion of those that attempt to make a reasonable living by dedicating their time and money to actual Human Contact in Business (AHCB) ..

Future generations will visit a re-creation of Main Street America and wonder .. "Was it really like that, Grand Ma ..?" ..

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Hit it on the head Uncle Willie. Out there in America is a whole generation who don't talk to each other. They text, snapbook or instaface all day long. Sometimes in the same room. And folks wonder why their suicide rate is out of control or they're freaking out that the earth is going to die in 9 years...

We are a gregarious species. We REQUIRE face to face contact, germs and all. I work at a place with half gallon Purell containers throughout the place. Kids constantly slathering the stuff on their calous-free hands. It's sad to see.

Anyway I like going to vape shops. This one or that one sucks, go to another one. Even if I have to drive 9 miles :shock:.

Saw that in a movie kid telling dad "the nearest Target is 9 miles dad" like he had to walk it or something.

Some shops price gouge. But with selection as it is they are greatly reducing repeat customer potential. I live not far from one that specializes in building. They even have classes. Yet they charge about 25% above retail. Most first time buyers do not know that and walk out happy.

Another one I like has a great selction of what sells. They buy a few at a time so you've gotta be there on Wednesday for the best selection of toys and juices. By Friday half their stock is gone. Prices are fair and customer service is top shelf.

Now for buying online; I've never been hacked from a face to face transaction, but been hacked a few times after online purchasing. I'll gladly pay an extra few bucks for a friendly chat and secure transaction.

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
I was very young when, having the necessity to repair some plumbing, I entered the hardware store and the sales clerk was telling me of all the parts I required for the repair, how to remove the old stuff, and how to install the new components, where put gaskets and sealants, etc.

In the end, that explanations were of outstanding value for me, that I didn't check the prices of what he sold me, and left the shop with great gratitude to him.

Today there are no more hardware store with sales clerk going around; and today, if I talk to any staff member, they don't have a clue about what the shop is selling.

The vape shops do capitalise on the huge variety of devices, and the dizzying speed of their turnover on the market.

I remember at very beginning, when I found a vape setup that worked for me, I were feeling lost as the item was sold out and I had to choose something different.

Vaping evolved into an hobby and I went to acquire a generalised knowledge of the matter, but the majority of vapers remains in that more natural state of knowing only what they use: as things stand, vape shops have a place for a long time.

Last time I entered the local vape shop, the first two persons ahead in the queue, were asking the shop clerk to replace the coil in their vape device.

From the familiarity they had shown with the guy, it was evident that they did it regularly.

I mean, it is very important function the shop has as a whole to the community. Myself, and most of us on these fora, are more of an exception, rather then the rule.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I was very young when, having the necessity to repair some plumbing, I entered the hardware store and the sales clerk was telling me of all the parts I required for the repair, how to remove the old stuff, and how to install the new components, where put gaskets and sealants, etc.

In the end, that explanations were of outstanding value for me, that I didn't check the prices of what he sold me, and left the shop with great gratitude to him.

Today there are no more hardware store with sales clerk going around; and today, if I talk to any staff member, they don't have a clue about what the shop is selling.

The vape shops do capitalise on the huge variety of devices, and the dizzying speed of their turnover on the market.

I remember at very beginning, when I found a vape setup that worked for me, I were feeling lost as the item was sold out and I had to choose something different.

Vaping evolved into an hobby and I went to acquire a generalised knowledge of the matter, but the majority of vapers remains in that more natural state of knowing only what they use: as things stand, vape shops have a place for a long time.

Last time I entered the local vape shop, the first two persons ahead in the queue, were asking the shop clerk to replace the coil in their vape device.

From the familiarity they had shown with the guy, it was evident that they did it regularly.

I mean, it is very important function the shop has as a whole to the community. Myself, and most of us on these fora, are more of an exception, rather then the rule.

I thought all that coil building stuff was out these days, like if a shop built a coil they would be classified as a manufacturer.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Customer1: "I'm having a problem with the vape setup I bought."
Me: "Did you buy that here? Let me look up the sale in the system."
Customer1: "No, I bought someplace else."
Me: "Have you tried contacting the place you bought it?"
Customer1: I actually bought it out of China, saved a bunch of money. I thought that since you are a vape shop that carries this product, you could help me."
Customer2: (Watching from the counter) "I had the exact same problem last week and the store here replaced the tank for me, some of the first batch came from the factory with bad threads."
Customer1: "Oh, did you buy yours from China too?"
Customer2: "No, I bought it here."
Me: "Sounds like you need to open a ticket at that place in China and see if they will replace it for you. I can sell you a new tank if you like."
Customer1: (Grumbles something and leaves...)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I thought all that coil building stuff was out these days, like if a shop built a coil they would be classified as a manufacturer.

Yeah the store rebuilding went out the door faster'n free juice on empty night when the deeming struck.
Who would'a thought?

Good luck. :)

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Aye weel and mebbes , but aye in my mind is that in my town there are two Vape Shops and the Local Chemist that sells good stuff; I'm well aware that I can get things from the very Far East at El Cheapo prices ... but I'm also aware that the twice I bought atties locally with a fault and took them back they were replaced without question and each time a free packet of coils was thrown in for my inconvenience.... sometimes "use 'em or lose 'em applies" and I like to know that if my kit dies I can walk down the street and get something that'll keep me going ... just sayin'

Last edited:

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I gave this topic some thought and it occured to me that 'hobby' shops in general tend to charge more but 'chain' shops tend to have same ole same ole stuff that moves out the door quickly so they also have sales goals in mind.

A new shop opened in my town where the owner has just enough tobacco products and vape gear to be a legal tobacco and vape shop that's loaded to the ceiling with items to smoke things illegal in my state.

He had some blue Renova Zeros for $49.95. I said "is that for 1 or 2?". His response was to tell me he had the lowest prices in the state. I said "really? tell ya what since it's blue I'll give you $32.... He said "no way buster that's already a great price". I replied that chain shop over at the mall sells them for $28 all day long".

The man got all excited saying I was lying. Then he starts to freak out. While he was shouting in a foreign language all walking around making wild hand gestures I googled the stores web site and showed him. He said "get out and don't come back"....

I just laughed and said "you betcha pal" and walked out. Before actually leaving I placed my back against the door and began pushing it open and said "I'll be back for your going out of business clearance" and slid the door open, to which he replied he was calling the police because I was harassing him. lol.

I walked back to my car thinking I hope he did call the cops because I'm sure they'd like to know the new cigarette store is actually an unauthorized head shop. The "authorized" head shop is across the street from the police station. This guy set up near low income housing figuring he'd be able to gouge the poor folks who don't know he's ripping them off. Tisk, tisk, tisk.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I just don't get it. Most of my local vape shop prices are just absurd, to the point I can't support them even though I'd like to. Just today I went into a vape shop in my city and saw a Recurve RDA I'd like to try and they quoted me 49.95 for the RDA. What??? I don't blame B&Ms for higher prices than online shops and I'm OK with that to a point. But it finally reaches a price level that I consider gouging and I just can't support them to that degree.

Even directly from Wotofo, the manufacturer of the Recurve, they have a price of 29.99. I consider that to be the full retail price even though the usual online shops go anywhere from 19.99 to 24.99 (and these are US vendors, not FT). So while I'm more than willing to support my local shops up to full retail price, adding another 60% over full retail is just a bit much. This same shop charges 60.00 for a Nord kit and most of their products follow suit.

Look, I know B&Ms have a higher overhead both for the facility and employees, but it does reach a point of being unreasonable where I feel like I'm driven to online purchases which doesn't help the vape shop or the local economy.

Probably the worst part is that after I visit a shop 2 or 3 times with the same results I feel bad for not supporting them and as a result I just don't go there anymore. So while I believe the shop owners have every right to charge whatever they want, I know there are others that feel the same way and don't go to these shops any more either. That can't be good for business in the long run.

I have 4 vape shops within 10 miles that do this very same thing, and 1 shop (the good one) that charges full list for every thing. I'm OK with that and buy there frequently, even though I know I can get the same items cheaper online. They also have the biggest and nicest shop with the most employees and have been there the longest. They have a very loyal client base.

It's not my place to tell them how to run their business, and I don't, I just tell them I'll think about it and don't go back. Just wondering if others feel the same about their local shops.
Online retailing is killing walk in retail. Hobby vape gear is even more problematic because fads rule. The shops want to sell you liquid. That's where the money is. The hardware is just for show.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
When vape shops sold house juice which cost little to make up it was a huge cash cow. Hardware didn't matter unless it was a new vaper and had nothing to use to vape their juice.

Now it's all commercial stuff they have to buy at wholesale. I don't know the markup, and while I'm sure it's enough to maybe make a living it's nothing like what it used to be. And with commercial juice you can find the same brands in most shops so you can still shop by price and sales.

If the money is in the juice, I still don't get why they wouldn't want to get the hardware into your hands so you can vape their profit center juices. It's a razor blade model, the money isn't in the handle, it's in the consumable blades. Here it's drop in coils or pods for many users, and obviously the juice. I still don't get why they don't recognize this.

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
In the Roman Empire, Mercury was the Deity in charge of the protection of what the ancient people considered a single category, the traders AND the thieves.

Twenty centuries later, the overall customs have improved remarkably, but some still follow the old categorisation.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    If the money is in the juice, I still font get why they wouldn't want to get the hardware into your hands do you can vape their profit center juices. It's a razor blade model, the money isn't in the handle, it's in the consumable blades. Here it's drop in coils or pods for many users, NC obviously the juice. I still don't get why they don't recognize this.
    This right here! :thumb: And why I started DIY'ing 3 weeks in.
    Another great example is ink jet printers. Dirt cheap printer, cuz the money's in the ink.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Toronto has a healthy vape retail market which allows one to see the many different approaches retailers take. I have noticed the stores that are popular with hardware sales tend to have a very small juice display, and the stores that are not as popular with hardware sales tend to have a very large juice display. And of course there are stores that are struggling to find that happy medium. I do not know what these stores were like in the beginning – did those with larger juice displays try to push hardware only to fail therefore be forced into selling something that is more profitable just to keep the lights on?

Speaking with a store manger once, he did say they have to be selective on the hardware they choose to sell for it could end up costing the store. Trends change rather quickly which can make hardware a gamble. Yesterdays flash mod and hip RDA are no longer popular and are just collecting dust on the shelves costing a retailers money instead of making a profit.

I can also imagine it being difficult for a retailer to predict trends. Do you purchase stock of an item anticipating good sales only for said item to receive a poor review or 2 making it so the retailer can’t even give the product away? Or do you wait to see how the general public reacts to said product prior to carrying it hoping you are not too late jumping on that profitable bandwagon?

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Toronto has a healthy vape retail market which allows one to see the many different approaches retailers take. I have noticed the stores that are popular with hardware sales tend to have a very small juice display, and the stores that are not as popular with hardware sales tend to have a very large juice display. And of course there are stores that are struggling to find that happy medium. I do not know what these stores were like in the beginning – did those with larger juice displays try to push hardware only to fail therefore be forced into selling something that is more profitable just to keep the lights on?

Speaking with a store manger once, he did say they have to be selective on the hardware they choose to sell for it could end up costing the store. Trends change rather quickly which can make hardware a gamble. Yesterdays flash mod and hip RDA are no longer popular and are just collecting dust on the shelves costing a retailers money instead of making a profit.

I can also imagine it being difficult for a retailer to predict trends. Do you purchase stock of an item anticipating good sales only for said item to receive a poor review or 2 making it so the retailer can’t even give the product away? Or do you wait to see how the general public reacts to said product prior to carrying it hoping you are not too late jumping on that profitable bandwagon?

That's true in every retail model. Right now is the big week for preselling ad space on network TV. The buyers are the big companies who have to weigh where to put their dollars. A new show might sound amazing, you buy the ad space, and the series is a flop. This happens every year, and these are big companies buying up like $2 Billion dollars in ads for the fall. You have to figure this is run through their own marketing departments with lots of supposedly very smart marketing experts and they still get make some bad calls. So sure, it's very tough for a small store or small chain to get it it right. But that's every retail outlet out there. Think about clothing lines. You're buying styles in the fall for your spring collection. Again, a lot of pressure to get it right. Plenty of second tier clothing manufacturers go bankrupt every year as do small retail shops, and large retail chains can get squeezed out of business as well.

If you go into a retail business there's little guarantee on stuff like that. Unless you apparently supplement with guaranteed sellers like cigarettes or head shop gear. Go figure.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    Fully agree – which makes B&M retail, in general (and not just vape B&M’s), an extremely difficult business. Even the food industry suffers from popular trends which I am sure you have witnessed living in NY.

Took a little virtual tour via Google of Manhattan to check out what has changed since I lived there back in 2001/2002. What happened to all the awesome dive bars??

• Agree
    Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Fully agree – which makes B&M retail, in general (and not just vape B&M’s), an extremely difficult business. Even the food industry suffers from popular trends which I am sure you have witnessed living in NY.

Took a little virtual tour via Google of Manhattan to check out what has changed since I lived there back in 2001/2002. What happened to all the awesome dive bars??

They couldn't afford the rents? The only ones that can are big banks and chain pharmacies. Not just the little dive bars either. There was what regarded as one of the top restaurants in NY called the Union Square Cafe. It was on Union Square which when they opened was a pretty crappy and somewhat sketchy park. The rent was good but kept going up. About a year ago (maybe 2) the landlord wanted to increase the rent from $30,000 a month to $200,000. Why? The park has been completely rebuilt about 10 years ago and the area around it is now one of the hottest spots in Manhattan. Needless to say there was no way the restaurant, which was already very expensive, could ever cover that and closed. I think it's now a Bank of America branch. They relocated like 5 blocks away from Union Square where the rent was tolerable.

You can still find great dive bars in areas of Brooklyn, but they don't last long as the areas they're in gentrify and rents skyrocket.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    asking the shop clerk to replace the coil in their vape device.
    “We are so accustomed to the comforts of 'I cannot', 'I do not want to' and 'it is too difficult' that we forget to realize when we stop doing things for ourselves and expect others to dance around us, we are not achieving greatness. We have made ourselves weak.” ― Pandora Poikilos

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread