Long Island Ban Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone today said to me "We won the battle, but we lost the war" today. Was that you Eplanet?

So... following is a general summary as I have a VERY long week coming up and LOTS to do before Wednesday!

VapersClub has done some organizing. We elected a board by very primitive methods at our meeting on Friday.

We had already started things in motion. On Friday morning I sent out the following letter to all the Suffolk County Legislators voting on the ban.

Long Island, New York Vapers Club
XXX-XXX-XXXX

Re: Electronic Cigarette Ban

Dear Legislator XXXXX,

We are writing in reference to the meeting on June 9th where you will vote on whether or not to ban the sale and restrict the use of electronic cigarettes in Suffolk County. Before doing so we wanted to at least give you a minimal education so that you know what you are voting on. Here is a link to a flyer which explains the basics of the electronic cigarette (aka PV or personal vaporizer) and what it is all about. http://vapersclub.com/vapersclubdotcompamphlet.pdf More information can be found at www.e-cigarette-forum.com.

A few of our club members, who are current users of electronic cigarettes who meet monthly, intend to meet with Legislator Jon Cooper next week to educate him about the PV and we would like to offer you the opportunity for the same education so you can be aware of what it is you are voting on.

Time is short and it will be shorter by the time you receive this. If you would like to set up a short 30 minute meeting so we can answer any questions you may have about the PV/E-cig I am happy to come and meet with you or have one of our members meet with you to answer any questions you may have before the vote. You can also reach me by phone or email with any questions you may have.

I thank you for your time and please remember that your decision will affect ALL Long Islanders and their loved ones… not just those who use nicotine. Please consider very carefully that by restricting access to these devices, many who have failed for decades to quit any other way will have no option but to return to traditional cigarettes, which may as well be a death sentence. I would not want that on my conscience.

Spike XXXXX
Long Island, New York Vapers Club
www.VapersClub.com
VapersClub@aol.com
XXX-XXX-XXXX

I sent the email above on Thursday 5/28 and mailed copies of actual paper letters on Friday 5/29. At this point we had already been in contact with Legislator Cooper's office who agreed to a meeting with us on 6/3. The vote on the ban was supposed to take place 6/9.

On Friday we received a phone call confirming the date and time for the meeting for 6/3 and also asking if we could speak on 6/1 to discuss amendments being considered for the terms of the legislation. Today I had a conference call with the legislative aid from Legislator Cooper's office and EPlanet who was elected as a Vice President of the Vapers Club (along with liquid vapor) although he wiill not have decision making authority due to his status as a supplier. During this conference call we were informed of changes to the terms of the legislation to bring it "in line" with Suffolk County's tobacco 19 ordinance. We discussed some specifics, but prefer not to post them as we have no written confirmation yet. As soon as the proposed legislation is changed online or we receive an email confirming the wording of the changes we will post results.

Also on Friday we met (at our LI Vapers Club meeting) an additional party with a vested interest in preventing the ban and they have legal counsel from what I understand. We will not be working with them, but will be in collaboration with information. This should be beneficial to both of us as we have different resources available.

In the meantime... we will have meetings with/speak in front of at least 6 of the 18 Suffolk County Legislators this week and try to educate them about the PV/ecig. We do need some help though. We need to print out certain studies and info. I will be posting a seperate thread asking for your help. To inspire proper help.. the Vapers Club will be offering a prize for one of the people who helps us collect the info we need for the meeting (name will be chosen out of a hat by a board member) .

From what we understand... the legislation must be re-introduced with the amendment proposed for review and must be approved again in it's new format before it can be voted on. If true, this would mean we will have the opportunity to speak at the public hearing when it is introduced (we did not last time because no one knew about the hearing until it was over... ot was very sneaky!).

So... as with all things political.. there is a lot of red tape. We will post further info as soon as we receive a copy of the new legislation and again after we meet with the Legislators to share any further info that we are permitted to share.

Thanks for your patience and everyone's help thusfar!

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
Spikey, if you need any ideas on debating/debunking the arguements the antis are using against the PV's - you can pull anything you need out of my blog...

So far I have covered the following arguements:

-What about the children
-the Gateway to Cigarettes

You're doing a fantastic job here!

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
Spikey is an inspiration and a force to be reckoned with but she can not do it on her own.

Take a moment and read this please.
There is a resolution being proposed in Suffolk county that is seeking to prohibit the use of electronic cigarettes in public non smoking areas. If passed, this will force vapers in Suffolk county to go to designated smoking areas to use our personal vaporizers.

There is going to be a public hearing on this subject on June 23. It will be held at 2:30 p.m. in Riverhead at the Suffolk County Community College Culinary Arts and Hospitality Center, 1st floor meeting room at 20 East Main Street in Riverhead, NY.

At this public hearing anybody interested in speaking on the subject will be allowed 5 minutes to speak. Spikey, Josh from e-liquid planet and myself will all be speaking at this hearing. The three of us have already addressed some of the legislators at a health and human service committee meeting on June 4th and we let it be known that we are part of a club of vapers that share similar opinion that we should not be forced to be exposed to second hand smoke to enjoy our vaping.

I am not asking people to get up and speak in front of the legislators though anybody interested in doing so will be welcomed openly. What we really could use is as many people as possible to show up send a message that we are supported by others. We need to let them know that this is important to more than just three people. Every extra person sitting with us in the gallery will make a difference.

Even if you live in Nassau county or one of the buroughs this is something that should be important to you. Back in the 1990's Suffolk county was one of the first counties in the country to start banning smoking in public places. They provided a model that neerby areas used as an example to go about instituting their own bans.

If a ban on vaping passes in Suffolk county, history tells us that it will not be long before it spreads to Nassau, Queens, Brooklyn and many other surrounding areas.

June 23 is a Tuesday and I know it is difficult for a lot of people to take time off from work but if there was ever a day to leave at lunch time THIS IS THE DAY. The entire future of vaping in Suffolk county could depend on it because this is the ONLY scheduled public hearing and once it passes by so does your opportunity to have your voice heard.

Please give this serious consideration. We really could use our club behind us on this one.

Thanks for reading this,
dumwaldo

Thanks,
dumwaldo

Last edited:

eplanet

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Someone today said to me "We won the battle, but we lost the war" today. Was that you Eplanet?

]

That was not me, I dont have a clue who said that...we spoke today? nah, I will call you in a few... We do need support!!! rise up people!!!

Peace...

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I just want to follow up with some information regarding the schedule of events required before this can become a law and the specific opportunities that will be available to speak at.

The above post is for the public hearing. This is a hearing where the public is offered the chance to comment and it is entered into the record so the involved legislators and committee members can review the public concerns to enter into the next step in an informed manner.

Individuals are given 5 minutes to speak at this meeting.

The next step is a Health and Human Services meeting. The six legislators that make up the H&HS Committee need to approve the proposal before it can go to a vote before the entire body of legislators.

Individuals are given 3 minutes to speak and that meeting is scheduled for July 30.

The final step is a vote by all legislators in attendance at the general meeting held on August 4. Prior to the vote, Individuals are given 3 minutes to speak.

I am telling you guys this because Spikey, Josh and myself will be speaking at all of these meetings and we are hoping to have support with us at all of the meetings. After speaking with Spikey she wanted to make sure I was clear with you all about this. We can't use all our ammo at the first meeting so please be prepared for another plea for support even after this meeting.

Thanks,
dumwaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread