What you can do to HELP fight the BAN?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you ...... about the lies the FDA is telling?

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!

Calling ALL vapers.. New Yorkers or not.. we don't care if you live overseas... we need HELP!!!!

While there may not be anything big going on in your local area as far as vaping goes... we have been fighting the ban for a few months here. We could REALLY use some help!!!

Here is what happened at the most recent meeting we attended... http://www.vapersforum.com/showthread.php?t=1536

I have gotten hundreds of PM's and posts thanking me for all I do for the vaping community... Thanks for my intro to vaping video and my informative posts and the other forum I run. I appreciate your thanks... BUT...

Stop writing to me and start writing to my legislators! It is TIME to pay up people!!! We NEED help out here!!!!

What you can do is simple.

You can call, you can email, or you can call AND email!!!

Legislator Jon Cooper wrote potential legislation which would ban the sale of PV's/e-cigs to people under 19 (which we agree with) and also bans the use of PV's in areas where smoking is NOT permitted... which essentially means we can only use them in smoking areas and get cancer ANYWAY from all the secondhand smoke!!!

YOU need to tell him how WRONG this is!!!!

Below is a form email which you can copy and paste and sign your name if you are lazy (as many of us are) and not inclined to type anything yourself... otherwise write your own letter! Explain why vaping is so important to you and how it has changed your life! Tell him that the FDA is lying to him and all of us! Please ask for the info on the hearing and vote (as noted at the end of the email below) even if you cannot attend (due to distance) since it is important for them to realize that MANY people may show up for this vote!

You should also consider including a link to one of your favorite studies or articles in FAVOR of PV's. If you call... you may just state that you are opposed to Resolution 1347-09 to ban electronic cigarette use in public places and you would like legislator cooper aware of that.. you should also give your name (you can say you would not like to give your address).

I expect that all of you who REALLY want to do something to prevent the ban of these devoces will take the 1 minute it requis to cop and paste and send an email... and if you have another 30 seconds to call and let him know how you feel!!! You have all shared your stories here.. now share them somewhere it can make a difference!!!!

Legislator Cooper's email address is PUBLICLY available on his website and it is...
jon.cooper@co.suffolk.ny.us

His phone number (also publicly available on the Suffolk County Legislature website) is...
631 854-4500

Put "Personal Vaporizer" or "Electronic Cigarette" in the subject line.

Legislator Cooper,

I am an electronic cigarette user. I have become aware that you are attempting to ban the use of this device in public areas where smoking is not allowed.

Both you and the other Suffolk County Legislators have put out some of the most proactive legislation to protect it's residents. Because of this, I am appalled that a legislator who is so vehemently opposed to smoking would do something that encourages non-smokers to put themselves in the way of secondhand smoke! Furthermore, I feel that such a well educated and intelligent legislator should have the common sense to have read the study that suggests the devices are unsafe rather than take the word of an agency who has made so many mistakes in the past. I truly feel that you are about to make a very big mistake!

I would appreciate if you could confirm the time and date of the hearing on 1347-09 as I would like to try to attend and speak about this device and how it has changed my life.

Last edited:

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
Well it's not a particulary good legislation as far as banning vaping in public places goes. Found some 3 loopholes in it and quite frankly I don't see how they could possibly patch them. Best to wait a good while before exploiting those though.
I think writing to Jon Cooper about it is a waste of time. The only way to prevent it would be to find some allies and try to get them to reason with Ruyan's studies. Just playing time could be worthwhile also.

linnx

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2009
Washington USA
www.ecigexpress.com
I found this interesting. I can see a lot of traditional smokers being upset that "vapers" are allowed to smoke indoors but "regular smokers" have to leave the building.

I can see it may be difficult to for enforcers to distinguish between a real cig and a vaporizer. Especially when vaporizers can mimic the look of a traditional cigarette.

This will be a challenging issue without massive public approval of PV's.

"This Legislature also finds that when consumed in public places where traditional
tobacco products are banned, the use of e-cigarettes causes fear, stress and confusion among patrons and workers alike. E-cigarettes also seriously compromise the County’s current public health laws governing indoor smoking bans and create an enforcement nightmare for the Department of Health Services’ Tobacco Enforcement Unit.

Guys.. .pplease do a favor.. do NOT mention the loopholes... they are watching and changing them AS we mention them online... AND

We have already covered this thing to death. We have looked at EVERY aspect of it. We have met with cooper too many times. We have spoken to most of the legislators and we will meet with the rest this week.... SO...

If nothing else.. the emails will make them so busy they won't have time to come get info to fix their loopholes... If you can't take the 1 min required to copy/paste an email... forget it...

Thanks anyway...

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
Did it. Even if it's a waste of time, I've got a few minute to waste. :)

I copied your email and then added this at the end:

I smoked cigarettes for 30 years . . . 2+ packs a day. I tried EVERYTHING to quit. Within 3 days of using an electronic cigarette, I was able to give up smoking completely. I've now been tobacco-free for 6 months, and I've never felt better. Being around cigarette smoke now makes me feel sick, and I can't believe you would require those who use electronic cigarettes--with NO second-hand smoke--to use our vaporizers in smoking sections. I gave up smoking so that I wouldn't be exposed to tobacco smoke, for heaven's sake!

And if you read the studies out there, you'll see that electronic cigarettes are NOT dangerous to bystanders. The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: List of Identified, Known Carcinogens in Electronic Cigarettes vs. Conventional Cigarettes, and Which Anti-Smoking Groups are Telling Smokers to Smoke

Not my most eloquent efforts, but, hey . . . it took less than five minutes. :)

Keep up the good fight, Spikey!

Sent your letter on verbatim (I don't really expect him to read them, just their presence is enough). I also reposted this in the SPEC forum for any of those guys who may have missed it.
We've got your back.

-Nate
Thansk Nate.. I appreciate you spreading the word. Someone posted it at RtV also. If anyone is on Trogs SD boards it can prob be posted there too.

I smoked cigarettes for 30 years . . . 2+ packs a day. I tried EVERYTHING to quit. Within 3 days of using an electronic cigarette, I was able to give up smoking completely. I've now been tobacco-free for 6 months, and I've never felt better. Being around cigarette smoke now makes me feel sick, and I can't believe you would require those who use electronic cigarettes--with NO second-hand smoke--to use our vaporizers in smoking sections. I gave up smoking so that I wouldn't be exposed to tobacco smoke, for heaven's sake!

And if you read the studies out there, you'll see that electronic cigarettes are NOT dangerous to bystanders. The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: List of Identified, Known Carcinogens in Electronic Cigarettes vs. Conventional Cigarettes, and Which Anti-Smoking Groups are Telling Smokers to Smoke

Thanks JJ! You rock :)

Janetda

ECF Veteran
This is political grandstanding at it's best. There is absolutely no reason e-cigs should only be allowed to be used in areas where smoking is allowed. It's almost like telling an alcoholic that they can drink soda, but only in bars! "We know that soda isn't the perfect drink, but it's better than alcohol. But hey just for fun, let's make sure that we're tempting them every day!"

Sent my letter.

Last edited:

vaporich

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Pittsburgh
www.vaporich.com

Righ on! I feel the same way.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Thank you SO much guys!! The last meeting there were only FOUR of us there and that was NOt enough to make an IMPACT! That is why we are asking for this small token of help... it will all add up I am sure.

Thank you again for your efforts!!!
David Goerlitz is interested in working for e cigs in any way possible. He is the former Winston man, turned anti-smoker spokesman, then shunned by them. He has much information and a media presence. If you read today's Siegel blog, you will see an exchange between him and me. I challenged the doctor to vape in public, preferably for the media. David expressed his desire to do so. Here is that exchange.

Sheri, I'm wiling to vape in a pub,
in a restaurant, in freaking church if I have to. I'll do it on Youtube at the same time. Doing that would be not only fun, but maybe even helpful. When I'm finished, thank the CFTFK, ALF, ALA, ACS, AHA, CDC, WHO, FDA, and Mr. Obama himself for pissing me off. I've joined TICAP and I'm willing to do this as a way to start my new tobacco tour. I still have school programs booked and this may be a great way to launch my protest on behalf of this nonsene.

The majority of posters on this site have a lot to offer in support of their beliefs. All I have to offer is maybe a little media attention to keep this issue in the papers and on the web.
David Goerlitz | Homepage | 07.31.09 - 5:44 pm | #

Sheri, Yes I'm familiar with most of the E-cig distributors and even Ruyan. I am in the Philadelphia area. I've reached out to alot of them, but with little response.

David G.
David Goerlitz | Homepage | 07.31.09 - 10:41 pm | #

My email is kgkjkl@yahoo.com

Thanks! Sent David an email...

David Goerlitz is interested in working for e cigs in any way possible. He is the former Winston man, turned anti-smoker spokesman, then shunned by them. He has much information and a media presence. If you read today's Siegel blog, you will see an exchange between him and me. I challenged the doctor to vape in public, preferably for the media. David expressed his desire to do so. Here is that exchange.

Sheri, I'm wiling to vape in a pub,
in a restaurant, in freaking church if I have to. I'll do it on Youtube at the same time. Doing that would be not only fun, but maybe even helpful. When I'm finished, thank the CFTFK, ALF, ALA, ACS, AHA, CDC, WHO, FDA, and Mr. Obama himself for pissing me off. I've joined TICAP and I'm willing to do this as a way to start my new tobacco tour. I still have school programs booked and this may be a great way to launch my protest on behalf of this nonsene.

The majority of posters on this site have a lot to offer in support of their beliefs. All I have to offer is maybe a little media attention to keep this issue in the papers and on the web.
David Goerlitz | Homepage | 07.31.09 - 5:44 pm | #

Sheri, Yes I'm familiar with most of the E-cig distributors and even Ruyan. I am in the Philadelphia area. I've reached out to alot of them, but with little response.

David G.
David Goerlitz | Homepage | 07.31.09 - 10:41 pm | #

My email is kgkjkl@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread