Long time ecig user switching to patch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp74supra

Feb 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hello all,

Let me explain my situation a bit here. I smoked a pack a day for around 5-6 years. Next month will mark my 2 year anniversary smoking SOLELY ecigs. The transition was easy for me.. the ecig was amazing and satisfying. To be honest, for all I cared, I could smoke the thing for the rest of my life. Well enough about praising the ecig, we all know its amazing. Although I just said I could smoke it for the rest of my life.. the best option as we all know, is to quit nicotine all together. So here's my issue...

A girl... FINALLY after dating a few real idiots, I found the one I will marry.. she's an amazing girl, kind, caring, great work ethic.. she was glad that I smoked an ecig vs regular cigs.. but were 4 months into dating now and she has made it clear.. she wants me off the ecig. All in all, I really can't blame her.. and if its her or the ecig.. im choosing her! She does not like the smell of the vapor in the car, gives her a headache and she calls it my grown up passifier.

I have been smoking 18mg/ml for the last 2 years. I feel as if I upped my nicotine by switching to an ecig. I average around 2ml of 18mg liquid a day. I know I said above that I smoked a pack a day and thats correct for an average, however there were days, like Friday and Saturday nights where I smoked a pack and a half like if I was out drinking, etc..

When I was looking at the patches with her, I seen there was 21mg (step 1), 14mg (step 2), and they go down from there. Not thinking that I was smoking 2ml per day.. I said, I think the 14mg will be to start off with. Yesterday was my first day with the 14mg patch. In the morning, I put it on, when it first hit me, I could really feel it. I didn't smoke my ecig at all yesterday. Toward the end of the work day I felt a little low on nicotine, however my skin didnt feel like it was crawling or anything like that. I took the patch off before I went to bed. Woke up this morning, put another on.. today I am feeling fairly irritated. I can't really focus at work today.. hence my long post on here. Now that im fairly long into the post, I feel the nicotine is getting a little better and im starting to calm down a bit. I understand getting off nicotine is not easy.. im just wondering if this patch method is better than weaning myself off of the ecig. It seems with the ecig, I can mix my 18mg and 11mg together, then switch to straight 11, then mix 11 and 8, then just 8, then mix 8 and 4, then 4, then maybe chew 2mg gum, then nothing. If I did this method.. I will restrict myself to only 1ml of liquid a day.. going over 1ml per day will not help me quit.

Regardless if the patch fails.. I will NEVER EVER go back to regular cigs.. I will go back to the ecig.. Also.. if you all feel that weaning off the ecig is better than the patch method.. how long do you think I should wait in between lowering nicotine to curb a lot of the withdraw?

Sorry for the long post... I needed to clear my mind.. now the patch has kicked in and im not so irritated anymore :2cool:

Thanks!

jameth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Southern Utah
The fact that you have been given an ultimatum about something that has been good for your life and health should be a major red flag, sure would be to me.

What other good things in your life are going to be forced to be changed in your future by this person?

If it were me and the vapor legitimately gave her headaches (sounds like BS to me), I would simply not vape in her face, and use it similar to how I would have smkoked outside when I was a smoker, but to give up ecigs totally for someone else? No way.

Now if YOU come to your OWN conclusion that your done with them, then hell yea by all means, do whatever works to get you where you want to be.

My hypothesis is that you will quit, eventually something will happen with your relationship, and you will be at a gas station buying a pack of smokes to deal with the stress, because it is easier and faster then getting back into ecig hardware.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I would go to Wal*Mart and buy some Vegetable Glycerin. It's usually in the same aisle as the band-aids and other home treatment stuff. Try vaping that straight VG as long as you are on the patch. Good luck. :)

Edit:
You could also go to a farm supply store and pick up some PG as well. Your girlfriend might be allergic to one or the other. If you could narrow that down, and eliminate one of the things that bother her. Win-win. At the same time, you will be vaping unflavored 0 nic, so that won't interfere with the patch.

Last edited:

azzaman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Your partner just needs more education on NRT.

Patches and gum have side effects, let alone have a proven LOW success rate.

Only 4 months and she wants you to stop vaping?

If patches worked there wouldn't be any smokers. A better strategy would be to up the nic in your e liquid and quit smoking completely. Then start to reduce the nic over a period of time, gradually to 0.

Good luck.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Your partner just needs more education on NRT.

Patches and gum have side effects, let alone have a proven LOW success rate.

Only 4 months and she wants you to stop vaping?

If patches worked there wouldn't be any smokers. A better strategy would be to up the nic in your e liquid and quit smoking completely. Then start to reduce the nic over a period of time, gradually to 0.

Good luck.
Read the OP. He hasn't smoked in two years. His significant other would like him to quit vaping because (among other things) it gives her a headache.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Regardless of the other issues, I'd suggest getting some gum to get over the rough patches in the day. It's really helped me! You can use the patch, gum and vape at the same time, I am and all my Dr's approve as long as I'm off the cigs.
As for the patches, two weeks at each strength is what is recommended, it's supposed to be an eight week process, 21 for two weeks, 14 for two weeks, then 7 for two weeks.
Good luck, but I think the gum will help smooth out the rough spots in the day for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread