Long time lurker needing help with elecrical shorts & Kayfuns

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBiloi

Apr 1, 2014
United States
I'd prefer to be posting in the general subforum but I understand the restrictions. Hoping some knowledgeable folks will take pity on me.

If there’s a sticky I’ve missed or any other kind of article on this topic, please link me before I waste anyone’s time.

I’m wondering about how shorts work cause I don’t quite understand the concept and the few threads I have stumbled across left a very frightening impression of what can happen if you vape with a short. Which I previously thought was impossible because I assumed the coil wouldn’t fire or the device just would pick up on it if you’re using an APV.

I understand that shorts can be caused in an atty by firing a coil when it’s in contact with the metal surface it’s attached to..right?

I figure that it’s not unlikely that I did this the first time I built my coils on this atty because I had no idea what I was doing and I wanted to know if this is going to affect me on any coils going forward. Does the short affect the entire atty? I don’t see how it could. I would imagine it just affects that one build, right?

Another question I have is just about the SVD, I guess. My mod often just randomly loses power while vaping. It’s happened enough times that I know it’s not because of holding the button longer than 10 seconds and it’s not from pressing it three times either. The issue seems to be appearing more and more often even on relatively new 18650 batteries. Any ideas what could be causing this? I’m worried it’s the signs of my impending doom from a short somewhere in my vape. I think I’m wrong though.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Pan D Moneum

Jan 1, 2014
Fl, 'Merica
I have a SVD. And I run Kayfuns to- The Kayfuns, especially the clones have a pretty well known issue with the center pin (or positive pin). They are what makes the connection to your battery and they run up to the positive deck and post. A lot of people try a back the screw out to increase exposure to battery on bottom. But that center pin is hollow at the top where it meets the pos deck and therefore is a weak point. If you've messed with it it may not be broken, but it may be cracked thus causing a short or power spikes. This could throw your SVD into spasms thinking there's an issue, and it needs to take a break. Before you do anything check fatdaddyvapes. He sells a kayfun repair kit for a reasonable price which has a new center pin along with other things that are nice to just have laying around. I recently picked up a VTR for 57.00 which allows .06 ohms. I build my Kayfun and R91 at about 1 ohm and see a huge difference in quality of flavor, vapor production, etc. Whereas, the SVD doesn't like you to go below 1.2 to 1.3 ohms. Which is ok, and better than a clearo/carto (in my opinion), but that slight difference gives appreciable vape quality that I think you'll enjoy. Also, depending on awg of your build, with battery pairing, and the other obvious things we overlook sometimes, the SVD can be touchy. I like it in single 18350 mode (mini) cuz it's very mobile. And the replacement is 35-40 buckaroos! Sorry to ramble, those Kayfun kits are worth the investment though!

Pan D Moneum

Jan 1, 2014
Fl, 'Merica
Oh yeah shorts are like when power is traveling from your battery to the atty and a break or crack or contact with anything other than that straight line occurs... Just like lightning, power out of your battery is always searching for a ground. So, if your coil is touching the deck, or another coil, the power is lost due to its nature of looking for a ground, and, if it's lost, it's not getting where we need it to be. The business end of the Atty- The connections in your pv are the roadmap for the power in your battery. And the fire button is the gas when you hit it, and the brakes when you let it go. Let's call the chip the air traffic controller. Oh well, I digress, you got it by now I'm sure...

Pan D Moneum

Jan 1, 2014
Fl, 'Merica
If your'e going mech, be responsible to learn amap about batteries. I like Sony VTC 4's... The VTR is a real good poor man's box mod. At under 60.00 if you break it, scratch it, lose it, whatever it's not a huge loss. I think it has a lil more flexibility chip wise than SVD. Although SVD has good uses too- Mech's are less forgiving, but better power delivery systems. I bought a good ohm meter, and tankometer, just because the more info I have re: my setup/build the safer and more content I am with my vape.

ConConCon

Mar 26, 2014
OH
Thanks, I really appreciate the help! I had no idea the VTR was capable of handling resistances that low. I think I'll probably look into getting a cheap mech mod for now to experiment with lower ohms.
I have a VTR and cut off the ring and sanded down the side walls for the kayfun's/kayfunclones/any22mm device to fit flush on it without scratching the side wall and I am loving it ever since. I had a tesla that shorted out after awhile of attempting to vape it at lower ohms/rebuilding protanks and such. However since I got my VTR I am able to use a lot of 22mm devices as low as .07Ohms without the device not firing randomly. However I do build somewhere between 0.8~1.1ohms depending on the device. It is by far the best regulated device I have come across that fires at sub-ohms for a cheap price. Although I am saving up for a DNA30 device when the bugs get fixed with them.
As everybody else has stated with mech's, make sure you do your research. Ohm's law is BEYOND important to know in and out when building on RDA's and using mechanicals. GET an Ohm Meter! As far as good devices that I have been told provide the best quality vapes: Nemesis, Stingray, Chi Yu to name a few. Yes there are clones out there that are sold a lot cheaper. Make sure to read the reviews and also check if there are any reviews on youtube to watch to get more info and see the device broken down, color, scheme, weight as you don't want to end up buying a "Stainless Steel" device that rusts when you go to clean it for the first use. Oh and get an Ohm Meter! :)

coalyard

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Rome, NY, USA
Ok, if your SVD is intermittently not firing, it is probably due to a short in your build. The SVD will not fire below a resistance load of 1.2 ohm; a short is 0 ohm. A shorted coil in a non regulated or protected mod is a big deal, and it can be dangerous. Without guessing or casting any aspersions on your level of experience, I would strongly suggest that you practice getting your builds solid and functioning consistently before delving into the world of mech mods or sub ohm vaping. If you don't already have one, you need a VOM to check coils and batteries. You need more than just a passing understanding of Ohms law.

Research batteries and builds for coils, and ask questions here. I have personally found that my slow progression in vaping has been very satisfying to me. As I gain experience, I learn how to get the best from the equipment I have, which points me to what I need to take it to the next level. "If you start on top, you have nowhere to go but down." --me

Good luck, and welcome to ECF!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread