Long time users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesrf

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2009
so this morning I saw an article about jule and vaping vs Heath effects in general. I quit smoking cigarettes in the spring of 2009 and switched to “vaping” (still not a fan of the term).

I’m curious how many of you have switched close to ten years ago and if anyone has had a chest X-ray or any type of exam since?

I confess I have not, as 40 has turned to 50 tho I find myself wondering if switching has indeed made me healthier and why no one seems to be interested in examining us?

While I understand there wouldn’t be a good “baseline” there should be some interesting data to be had.

Please add your thoughts and comments here.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I switched in 2010 after 28 years of smoking. Have I had a chest x-ray or lung exam, no. Have I thought about getting one, yes many times. If I was to be honest with myself the reason I have not is because I'm afraid of what the result might be.
I know for a fact I'm better off with vaping than smoking as I have not been sick since I started, not one cold, not one cough or case of flu. When I smoked I used to get savage bronchitis at least twice a year. So far that's been good enough for me.

My understanding is that the majority of the visible damage caused by smoking is gone within a year or two. But even so it might be difficult to differentiate potential vaping damage from residual smoking damage.

I would also be highly interested to hear from anyone who has had a lung related health check up as a long term vaper.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
now that vaping has reached 10 years and millions of smokers have switched to vaping... the fact we're still waiting for even one person to surface with health related issues connected to vaping... sounds like winning.

however, they still push the demonization of vaping to protect their cancerous cash cows.

RichardV

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
The Golden Isles of Georgia, USA
I quit smoking in April 2012 and started vaping. While being treated for colon cancer in 2014 I had several chest xrays and breathing tests. I aced every one of them (lungs were clear) and now at 67 I can do more than when I was 60 and hacking my lungs out!
When I quit I was smoking 2 packs a day.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My opinion has long been that the very lack of data indicates the existence of positive data. This is based on known research behavior of big tobacco. Caution, this gets a bit tinfoil hatty:

The way big tobacco managed to do fake research and hide the danger of cigarettes for years was to never actually officially finish a study. There is this thing called a preliminary finding, ie most of the way through a study you can pretty much tell what a study is going to say. What big tobacco would do is look at these preliminary findings and if it looked like the research wasn’t going their way they would cancel the study before the results became official. There’s even a movie about this with Russel Crowe in it called the insider.

Now I think it is reasonable to assume that big tobacco has already done all the research on vaping, and if it was in their best interests to release it they would have. Therefore I personally assume that the research they did did NOT show ecigs as being dangerous so they hid it. This is supported by them going after independent vaping research using the same methodology they do to go after independent cigarette research. They gamed the way research is done:
In a research study most of the money is spent up front. Renting equipment and space, finding researchers, etc. Big tobacco would wait until the research was just beginning and the money was spent, then hire the researchers away to effectively kill the project. There is proof that they have done this in the past with various vaping studies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steamix

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
Not 10 years vaping, but getting closer and closer :laugh: I smoked for 20+ years. I did very recently have pulmonary testing done with chest xrays. All clean and clear. Only thing I do have is what my doc calls hypersensitivity in my airways. She explained it as VERY slight pre-asthmatic type symptoms most likely flared by dust and pet dander (huge vote on the abundance of pet dander in my surroundings :D). With an albuterol breathing treatment the minute airways that are affected responded well. Neither my primary doc nor my immunologist squawked an iota over the vaping. They see it as a non-factor in my "sensitivities".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread