Looking for a better set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again, Well, my original thread has gotten quite long, so I decided to make a new one, since my original question had long since been answered. Lets get right to it, I'm running a KangerTech Evod head with a new battery I just got, a Vision "spinner" adjustable voltage battery. It works ok, but I like to vape a lot, and my main complaint about it is that I'm having to go through a lot of new coils in short order and also that I can't really taste the taste of the liquid anymore in the hit. Plus the quality of the hits might be in question. Also today with a 2.5 ohms (don't know if that matters) coil that was about a day old or a bit older, my unit started gurgled and I got pure fluid through the head with some vape with it. It seemed to be flooded. I changed the coil to an 1.8 ohms I got and it worked well again. Anyways, I was thinking about what is even out there thats a good value for a better quality head to go with this battery. Like maybe a different set up completely, I don't know whats out there. Like what types of heads there are, and what are worth trying.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Honestly, I'd try going lower resistance coils in what you have. You can buy LR heads or, wrap the coil yourself if you are so inclined. Now gurgling, if this is new, I'd try putting new wicks in there. I personally prefer cotton wicks but, you can't dry burn those and, you change them rather than clean them but, try the differnt materials available and see what works for you.

The EVOD is good but, it sounds like we just have to fine tune it to fit you a bit better, and save you the cost of a new set up. :)

Ah yes, of course, I'd rather not have to spend money. I didn't really need to go ahead and get this nice battery either, but I figure I want better! :D I thought it wouldn't matter what resistance coils I use because I can change voltage to suit the ohms level. What I got right now are 1.8 and 2.5 replacements. I mean, it seems like a lot of people on here like the EVOD, and so do I, but I want my coils to last longer then they have been. With a fresh coil it hits great usually. Its like, when I've hit a set up that has a tank on it and a fancy battery, the hit is much better quality then with my EVOD on its best day.

Yep, I'm bumping the thread here, I'm definitely thinking about getting a totally different head, something that produces consistantly good tasting vapor, the way it should taste when vaped correctly. I really am having issues with taste, and for some reason my 2.5 coils flood real quickly, I just put one in like 6 hours ago and its already useless, flooded. Anyways, the 1.8's are working better, they were actually for the pro tank and are a slightly different design, the other ones were made specifically for the Kanger EVOD, my 2.5 replacements, and they flood like super easy. Anywho, I have 2 of each left to use or maybe just one 1.8 left. At this point with my experience with this head, I want something better, and I'm willing to spend a decent amount of money to get it, as long as its not too costly to use it, whatever parts need replacing with use. I have a store in Lakeville I can go to, or I can order online. I'm tempted to go out there to just get something they recommend there, but obviously my selection is huge online. Anyways I'll be patient and research it properly so I don't get something thats not going to be the quality, longevity and the right price to use/price to buy. I was going to go out there today, but I don't really got the time before work at this point. So I'll make the right choice to wait and get advice. I suppose I should give you a budget to help give good advice eh?! :D Well if I have to, I guess I'd be willing to spend up to say 40-50 bucks max for just the head itself. I'm thinking it'll probably less then that. I've got a decent amount of liquid to use up before I need more of that, but when I get this new head I want a new, perfect all day/night flavor. So that combined with what I'll need to buy to keep this working with high quality drags for say a month (wicks, whatever it will be) I don't want to be dropping too much on it, well I can but can't with how much I'm working with, gotta budget properly, but I still want better then this Kanger. So I'm in the market for something better out there that will work great with my Vision adjustable voltage battery. I just know that you long time vapers could post me good recommendations that I can research reviews on this forum and also wherever online I can buy them. So please do! I mean, I'm still a noob, all I know is that someone recommended me the EVOD on here, I mean its good for what it is, but for how much I vape, the flavor is really an issue for me, I don't really enjoy the hits sometimes. Anyways you guys, thanks for reading through my giant post here. Thanks in advance for helping out a frequent vapor smoker. I just want to enjoy it more with something better then the old Kanger EVOD.

Hoppocket

Jun 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I've also moved to the 1.8ohm low resistance coils and I like them better. You may want to try dry burning after each fill or two, I find it helps a lot in restoring the flavor in a used coil. That's actually one of the big sellers for me with the EVOD/ProTank... I can remove and replace/clean/dryburn the coil, even in the middle of a tank, without having to waste the juice. Frequency is dependent on the juice for me, as some foul things up quicker than others.

I've also read and tried removing 1 wick (there are several in an EVOD/ProTank coil setup) and this can help, so you may want to experiment with that. It's super easy on this BCC.

Having made my way through Cartridge, Mega Dual Coil, Drippers, Clearamizers, Vivi Nova's, and now finally EVOD / Protank, I have seen a great deal of improvement. I'm currently satisfied but keep an eye out for the next big improvement.

txgtr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2013
Texas
I've honestly had the best luck in rebuilding the heads of either protanks or vivi novas. I'm using 3mm silica wick which works well for thick juices. I spent about 10 bucks on silica and kanthal and have enough materials for a long time to come.

The first couple of attempts didn't fare too well, but now I can rebuild them quicker than I can clean them. I'm having more luck with the protanks than the vivis, but I'm determined to get those ironed out too for better performance.

My coils I can make either 1.8 to 2.0 ohms. I can go higher with more wraps but I like those resistances.

Well, I might be making a stupid decision here, but I think I'm gunna head over to the lakeville store today and see what they recommend to buy from them. Because I tried a couple of their own set ups, they had a fancier battery then mine, but I would think it would be the same thing as its adjustable as well. I really liked how the quality of the vape was with those 2 systems I tried, so with my slightly inferior battery, with the same head they are using I would think I can get the same quality. I bet your probably tell me the best way to go is to custom make it, its just the convenience of being able to get it today vs doing more research and having to wait to get the parts/things I would need to do that. At any rate, I'll still have my EVOD, so in the future I bet I'll eventually see what options there are to make this head completely custom to give the best vape possible.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
Gurgling is normally because of overfilling that spills over into the air tube.
If you make your own wicks with cotton be sure to buy either unbleached cotton or if bleached be sure to boil it first.
Research is paramount......watch some vids on You Tube. GrimmGrean, pbusardo etc.
Be sure your vaping technique is correct. There is a thread on ECF that will tell you how to vape as opposed to smoking cigs.
Spinners are not "slightly inferior". They are quite good if set up correctly with the Evods.

Well, I decided to switch to a cartomizer, not spelling that right im sure. Anywho, I don't know what the name is for the tank I have with it, but the carto's brand name are called "smok" (not smoke) anyways, I changed because I tried some peoples set ups with that and I enjoyed the flavor so much more then what the EVOD was giving me. I still have the EVOD and would love to get it working perfect maybe to give it to a good friend or my mom to use. Anyways, I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase.

Heres another update. I spent a pretty penny at the c cig store today. I got a brand new battery, the ZMAX. Also got different tank made of Glass instead of poly-carbonate. Also picked up 5 more cartos that are double hole punched for more juice delivery. Gotta say this set up has made a world of difference. I mean, its not like its god like, but its a much better vapor then what I've had previously. At this point, I feel pretty set, my only complaint really is that I was told its not a good idea to change flavors with these cartomizers, So I'm stuck with one flavor till the carto needs changing. Well, now that I've got a battery that goes up to 6 volts, I'm sure that opens up the doors for any kind of head if I were to ever change set ups again. I'm using a 1.5 ohms resistance carto and was told that 5 volts is a good setting. They are eather 2.0 or 1.5 can't remember and don't have the box with me here. Anyways, I would like to learn more about how to actually take a drag properly so I can extend the life of my cartos and have a better vape. I'll search for the link, but if you know a good one, posting would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread