Looking for a clone tube....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
So I posted the below in a thread here, and felt perhaps I might get a better conversation going if posted by itself.

At the outset, some disclaimers:

1. I am a noob
2. I specifically asked for a clone as it would be a first for me, so I don't feel it is wise to invest in a super expensive original (however if there are reasonably priced origs, I would not be opposed to them)
3. I understand clones elicit great emotions in the world of vaping, pls don't get upset with me :)

Ive been looking for a regulated tube mod, but they seem few and far between. Was thinking, would a mech do the job?

My vaping "parameters" are:

1. I vape at around 29 watts on my reg mod, using a 0.5 ohm coil. It gives me good flavour and a cool vape, which I prefer.
2. Using Ohms law, if I assume a battery of 3.7 to 4.2V, I would need to use a 0.6 ohm coil to replicate my preferred vaping wattage.
3. I prefer to use a tank, rather than build...I'm lazy or too new to bother. I use a Tobeco Super tank, and like the flavour it produces at 29/30 watts.
4. Would a tube mod work with my tank with a 0.5 ohm coil? Using ohms law, I'd be pushing between 27 and 35 watts.
5. I already have 20700 batteries, and dont fancy buying new ones. Are there tube mods that accommodate that battery?

Any suggestions? I can see folks here have lots of experience...I dont mind buying from fasttech and waiting a lifetime LOL.

Dropmyload

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2017
Are you strictly looking for a tube mod? You may look at unregulated box mods.

Just FYI, you want to figure your batteries at full charge which is 4.2V so if you have a failure your coil won’t be pulling more amps from the cell(s) that they can handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, strictly tube for ease of carrying. Single battery if possible.

For your second sentence, I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand what that means...

Reactions: stols001

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
What I mean is that when you charge a cell, the max voltage is 4.2. You need to figure the cell at fresh charge (4.2V) and the amp rating of said cell. Your cell will never be over 4.2V in a mech unless you are stacking your cells. You also need to keep in mind the amp rating for the cell(s) because if you build a coil that pulls too much from the cell, best case scenario is your cell will vent. Worst case scenario is you will have to have reconstructive surgery on your hand and face because you will be holding a pipe bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Personally, I wouldn’t ever recommend using a tank with pre-made coil heads on a mechanical. IMO, either learn to build, or look into a mod with some protection.
doesnt mean it won't work, i do agree with you though. What worries me is the potential for shorts. drop in coils tend to short, and shorts on a mech are baaaad.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Also
Why not consider an rda or an rta and use a pre-made coil instead (not the head just the coil). Will work out a lot cheaper and will perform better as well.

Mechs don’t need to be scary.
true. The thing to remember is that mechs aren’t more complicated than VV mods, they’re simpler. There’s only one variable: what ohm is your coil. When I started on mechs I didn’t know voltage or ohms from a hole in the ground and it worked fine. All I knew was use at least 5 wraps on a coil for safety. That’s it. The other stuff gets you accuracy and let’s you control the kind of vape you get, but strictly speaking they aren’t necessary. I did eventually get an ohm meter and various thicknesses of wire and whatnot, but I did it as I became more interested rather than as a requirement. this was before dual coils were around and which complicate the whole thing, but you can simply not do dual coil till you’re more comfortable with everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread