Looking for a good beginner RBA, way too many choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

dopamine1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
ohio
Wow there are so many to pick from, there's tons of them and then multiple different clones of each one. Been using protanks and evods so far but they seem to have a lot of issues with wicking and dry hits and seem kind of picky when it comes to juices and mine only tolerate very low voltages (like 5-6 watts). I got an IGO-L I've been playing around with but it goes through juice too fast for me, can't afford to use so much. So I don't think drippers are for me.

Looking for something with these features:
Good taste (only have mvp and ego batteries so 5 volt max and no sub ohm)
Fairly easy to rebuild, prefer single coils for this reason
Glass tank
Airflow control
Affordable

Anyone have any recommendations?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
I have to recommend the AGI...even though the RSST/RSBT is super easy to build on, I love my AGIs. It has a removable deck, so you can use it as a genesis or dripping atomizer. I got my last one for about $10 new from 101vape. I appreciate genesis builds, but I'm not super big on them, at the moment..

Even though the RSST is super easy to build on, that doesn't mean it helps you wrap your wick, if you're doing a mesh build.

Flyfisher

Jul 9, 2014
Germany
I know they are expensive but i would have to say a Taifun Gt is about as good as it gets perfect flavor good sized tank all features you listed and then lets talk about quality... its just there at the top alone. Kayfuns are ok but can be very tricky to get a good set up but once you do they are great and they are a hefty piece of gear. The genesis style attys are also trick with getting the "right" set up i have a RSST and its good one day the next burnt leave it for a day then its good again really confusing. Have you treid rebuilding your protanks? better performance and flavor and if you have the kanthal you are practically there already just takes some time and then you dont have to drop the cash on a cheap imitation now and wish you didnt save the cash and pick up a real one later

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
^I guess you haven't tried a squape-R or estia? No clones of those yet..but there are clones of the taifuns.

Sorry, I did what I passive aggressively respond to, not read your full post.

If you're getting large vapor production, you're going through large amounts of liquid..sorry, it sucks, but it's the way of the world..

Blackboar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Upper Marlboro, MD
Although it's not a glass tank, the Kayfun lite plus is actually a really nice beginner's atty. It's easy to build and provides great flavor. It's not the easiest to change your build or rewick, though, since you need to empty the tank to do so. I would rather start building on that than a Protank, which gives you a tiny workspace. It is also easier to learn on than a genesis like an RSST (which I love and recommend once you're comfortable building your own coils).

I just got my first RBA 2 weeks ago after months building RDA's (I bought a fasttech Kraken months ago but gave up on building it after an hour of frustration). I grabbed a hcigar Kayfun 3.1 & picked up the quartz kit to give me the glass tank. I was prepared for a time consuming and tricky setup, but was pleasantly surprised that it was a snap. SUPER easy, single coil 7/8 wrap and I have it firing at 1.1ohms. Don't be intimidated by all the pieces/parts - wrapping a coil is the hardest part of the entire process. Very simple to wire the coil on to the deck, and if you pick up a syringe tip for your juice filling it is even easier. I don't have to unscrew anything to fill it. The raves about flavor are all true and it looks killer on mods and my Cloupor box. I found mine on Ebay and all in for tank & quartz kit was about $45.

dopamine1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
ohio
Yeah I've read lots of good things about kayfuns but I don't know about the plastic tanks. I'm not sure which of my liquids will damage plastic because I almost always use glass.

Oh yeah I can rebuild the protank heads, just haven't done it yet because I have a stockpile of new ones still in their boxes, and no kanthal left to make the coils. I'll probably do that for now though.

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
Yeah I've read lots of good things about kayfuns but I don't know about the plastic tanks. I'm not sure which of my liquids will damage plastic because I almost always use glass.
Nope. Not an excuse. (Many) Kayfun clones come with a full metal jacket.

Oh yeah I can rebuild the protank heads, just haven't done it yet because I have a stockpile of new ones still in their boxes, and no kanthal left to make the coils. I'll probably do that for now though.
Home coiled PT heads are much better in taste and vapor than new from the box ones. Rip apart a new one and re-wick with cotton even if you don't install a new coil.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Just an FYI... I've ran all kinds of juices thru my KFL+'s, Cinnamon, fruits, tobacco's, deserts, you name it. I've never experienced a cracked tank. I'm even using the EHPRO clones without any problems. Awesome tanks IMO...
Lol..then you have tank friendly juices. I've watched a nano and m tank crack..the juices leached them so fast. I forget what the other juice was that annihilated my tanks. Blue balls was one.

I've had several juices cause my tanks to fog up instantly..or crack over night, in all kinds of intensities.

dopamine1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
ohio
Nope. Not an excuse. (Many) Kayfun clones come with a full metal jacket.

Home coiled PT heads are much better in taste and vapor than new from the box ones. Rip apart a new one and re-wick with cotton even if you don't install a new coil.
Re-wicked one of those protank heads, tasted so nice and clean... but then it leaked its entire tank of juice onto my desk when I wasn't watching. Guess they need flavor wicks still, because it was pretty tight in the coil and still leaked.

Got a kayfun mini with a steel tank though, we'll see how that goes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread