Looking for a little help on next MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mellow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2010
Kansas
Would like to get a new VV mod, Have a box mod and a LT, there okay but wanting to step it up a bit. So far everyone seems to rave about the Provari, it looks and sounds awesome. Wondering if not just getting a simple mod with a kick in it will work for me. Had my eyes on these as well Reo, Buzz, Helix, The Don, Saber Touch VV, and Darwin although I would like to keep cost at a minimum would like to have the best mod I can get. Also will the Indulgence be able to use the Kick? Also are there any major new Mods selected to come out in the near future. Sorry for all the questions

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
The Kick will work in many 18650 battery mods. There are also many mod's currently being developed to use the Kick. I have used the kick in a Bolt w/extensions and it worked well. But, I really do not like tube mods (just me), so my kick is awaiting a non-tube mod to place it in. The Darwin is my PV of choice, and will be getting another. Two Darwins and a Kick(or two) will be all I need. I am spoiled to Variable Wattage and Variable Voltage is no longer an option for me. Also, for me anyway, stacked battery mods are not an option either. Everyone has their favorite PV's, so just find what you like and go with it. As long as you are a "happy vaper", that is all that matters..... :2c::2c:

Edit: Puresmoker is coming out with a mod that can use the Kick....other mods are being modified to use the Kick, and a rumor that the Indulgence may be modified to use the Kick, but just a rumor...

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
A real step up from LT, but significantly lower cost than a fully kitted provari, would be the notcigs Infinity Pro. $120 delivered, with two sets of batteries and charger (coupon code "ECF Buzzkill", 2 words). If your LT charger is a 2-bay unit, you could likely reuse it, skip the charger, but like most things a backup is good to have.

3.3 - 5.5V, 15W maximum power, no voltage sag as the batteries are used, simple wheel interface to change voltage, rugged, good safety features. I get about 6.5ml of eliquid through on one set of batteries, at 4.5V with a 2.5 ohm carto (just over 8 W).

Notcigs came out with the original production VV, the Buzz. They've kept their focus on high performance, rugged, products at good prices.

I'd study up on the Kick. While I don't change power/voltage from vape to vape, I do find I'll nudge it up and down multiple times throughout the day, just depending on how much warmth/vapor I want at any time. With the notcigs products, or the Provari or Darwin, adjustments are easy, but from a review by Cyberwolf, "...Minimizing the necessity of changing the voltage is a good thing in this case. Due to the nature of the Kick being an internal modification to an electronic cigarette, the device must be taken apart to access it. Once the Kick is exposed, a small screwdriver is needed to change the power setting via the dial on the potentiometer." The review was overall positive, but having to take things apart to change voltage and go to a smaller battery to get the Kick to fit inside a PV are things I wouldn't want.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
The notcigs run to just under 3.2A, at just over 4.7V, at 1.5 ohms; the 15W is the limit. No idea what the Provari V2 limits are (I'm not sure if they limit by total amps, total power, or a combination -- not sure what the specs are).

As far as I know the limit on VV boost tubes is the output amperage..the high drain batteries in these devices (at least the 18650's) is at least a constant 10a drain.

If my thinking is correct and you boosted the volts from a battery at 3v to 6v at 3.5a output you would get a drain on the battery of 7a plus any inefficiency (boost circuit are pretty efficient)..so that would put it well in the safe use of the battery.

With a couple 10a 18650's stacked you could theoretically drain 20a constant from them until dead..although I wouldn't want to get too near the amp limit with a battery that size that close to my face...

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Regulators also have a max power rating, which may vary as a function of the output voltage. For instance, http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn7100.pdf is a fairly decent boost regulator, with good documentation (not used in PV, just an example). On a 5V input, it can drive up to 12V/720mA or 15V/570mA. Even with an unlimited 5V gozinta, the gozouta is limited to less than 9W, with efficiency lower at higher voltage (less total output power available at 15V output than at 12V).

I'm comfortable with the notcigs numbers because I've seen multiple people post that they have indeed driven their PV at those points (1.5 DC at 4.7V). According to Provape's data (http://www.provape.com/v/images/ProVariV1vsV2.pdf), it looks like the V2 limits are 14.5W and 3.5A, though they do have one outlier data point, asserting that you can go to 14.7W at 4.2V/3.5A. Net, it looks like the Provape V2 regulator can provide essentially as much power as the notcigs Pro series that's been in production for 9 months.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Yeah they do have a limit..when I was thinking about building my own VV device I saw on digikey you could get a regulator in about any amp limit you could need for a VV e cig. Although the bigger ones the cost kind of gets up there..I think there were some that would be enough for most people and under $5 a chip.

It seems with some of those chips you really only need some resistors and buttons to wire them in including having +/- buttons. The chips are not that big either if they only made affordable small batteries with the output of 18650's you could have a VV Tube about the size of an eGo...

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
You could certainly build a VV device that will work very well.. Many of us have done so....cost is relative to the design of the device...and to the features you want built in...

Here is an example of a 96% efficient VV mod w/ built in digital display....PTR08100W regulator with a N/C "fire" switch and a "slide" main on/off switch. Batteries are Protected 16340's (900mah).

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/199079-wood-box-mod.html

Yeah they do have a limit..when I was thinking about building my own VV device I saw on digikey you could get a regulator in about any amp limit you could need for a VV e cig. Although the bigger ones the cost kind of gets up there..I think there were some that would be enough for most people and under $5 a chip.

It seems with some of those chips you really only need some resistors and buttons to wire them in including having +/- buttons. The chips are not that big either if they only made affordable small batteries with the output of 18650's you could have a VV Tube about the size of an eGo...

Last edited:

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
You could certainly build a VV device that will work very well.. Many of us have done so....cost is relative to the design of the device...and to the features you want built in...

Here is an example of a 98% efficient VV mod w/ built in digital display....PTR08100W regulator with a N/C "fire" switch and a "slide" main on/off switch. Batteries are Protected 16340's (900mah).

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/199079-wood-box-mod.html

Nice..yeah I read a lot of posts in the mod section awhile ago to get ideas for chips and wiring. I still go there on occasion :) I was thinking of a flashlight vv mod with a voltage display before getting a LT..also I'm still thinking of making a pipe vv mod without a display sometime. Well if I could get a small enough voltage display for a reasonable amount I might put one in.

I wish there were more e pipes at reasonable prices because to me vaping seems more like smoking a pipe than a cig. I can get pipes for a few $$$ and I got a dremel style rotary tool recently so a pipe mod is probably in my future lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread