Variable Voltage Vaping, Should I pull the trigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

werkkrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Philadelphia
www.werkkrew.com
My birthday is coming up and I have been eying up the ProVari as my first VV mod. That being said, I'm not truly sure why I want to go down the VV route, and I am not sure I am ready to feel compelled to retire my Silver Bullet. I need some convincing.

So far my SB has been used for dripping on LR atty's, and for that it works great. If I could get my hands on a kick I am sure my SB would be my go-to mod for when I want to drip. That being said, the performance of a standard 3.7v mod has been less than stellar on any Dual Coil cartos, which really sucks since pretty much every tank out there uses DCC's inside.

Ultimately I figure I'll have my SB with a kick in it as my dripping setup, a VV mod for my tanks (since it seems like Dual Coil cartos need a bit more voltage to match my vaping style), and eventually I'd really like to get my hands on a VV box mod for bottom feeding. Anyhow, I'm rambling...

Where does VV vaping fall into your collection? Is the ProVari the top of the line variable voltage mod out there (excluding the darwin, I don't want that)?

Does my assumption of using a standard 3.7v mod with/without a kick for dripping, and a VV mod for everything else seem to make sense?

I need some convincing/claritication before I take the plunge as it is quite expensive.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The Question Shouldn't be "Should I?".

The Question Should Be "Why Didn't I Do This Sooner?".

VVPV Opens up an Entire New World of Possibilities. No more fussing around with Atty/Carto ohms. VVPV lets you fine tune your Hit to Exactly what you want. And what the e-Liquid can handle for a given Atty/Carto.

I have a Provari and my Only regret is that I bought all those Silly Starter kits thinking I was saving Money verses buy a Provari which was “Expensive”.

BTW – The Provari Mini is about to come out. A Great size when your On the Go. And I believe that the Extension Cap allows your to run 18490/18500 Batteries in it. Which is a Great Setup when you are at home.

werkkrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Philadelphia
www.werkkrew.com
lol, thanks for the responses guys.

My big concern is that I just got a silver bullet about 3 weeks ago, and that + batteries, chargers, etc was about $150. I'm afraid that if I get a ProVari my $150 investment in the Silver Bullet will just turn out to be a total waste.

So I guess my question becomes, to all those who have several mods, where do the standard 3.7v mods fall into play? Do you use them strictly for dripping, or do they just start to gather dust?

carlton

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
Albuquerque
Just get the kick and a surge tank for bottom feeding. No need for three devices, just use the one you have. The only possible issue with it, is that the kick might not give you enough wattage for the dual coils. But I'd try it first, and then decide on getting something else. Especially since it sounds like you're going to get one, anyways.

dotma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have a lavatube and i thought when i got that that i would be doing the high voltage all the way and all my other stuff would gather dust. I have found over the months, though, that i really dont like it all that high, around 4.2 at the most, and i like to have a couple of cartos filled to switch around during the day -- so i end up using throughout the day the lavatube, an ego, and a 3.7 volt box mod all through the day. Of course i work at home so it probably wouldnt be convenient to carry around all that stuff everywhere. I do agree though that variable voltage is way awesome to give you that choice. And if you find that you dont use the SB anymore, you could sell it in the classies!

KeysBum

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2011
Florida Keys, USA
So I guess my question becomes, to all those who have several mods, where do the standard 3.7v mods fall into play? Do you use them strictly for dripping, or do they just start to gather dust?

I sold a couple of my 3.7 V mods, the others are literally collecting dust. I've got 3 Buzz Pros and 2 Chinatubes. Once you go VV, you won't go back.

werkkrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Philadelphia
www.werkkrew.com
Just get the kick and a surge tank for bottom feeding. No need for three devices, just use the one you have. The only possible issue with it, is that the kick might not give you enough wattage for the dual coils. But I'd try it first, and then decide on getting something else. Especially since it sounds like you're going to get one, anyways.

Yeah, I'm not trying to have tons of devices, at most 3 I'd imagine. Since this is just as much a hobby for me as it is anything else. Part of the problem is there are too many options. I don't even know what a surge tank is, for example. That being said, the main reason I would want a box mod is more because I love the craftsmanship that goes into them, and I feel like I'd enjoy having one even though functionally they wouldn't replace anything I already have.

klee6150

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2010
Salem, Oregon
I use three PVs consistently all day long.

1. Double Barrel Silver Bullet 6.4V 3.0oHm cartos
2. ProVari 4.7-5.3V 3.0oHm cartos
3. SaberTouch 5V 5Amp 3.0oHM cartos

The ProVari is my fav, but they all get vaped equally. Not really a hassle to carry around in a round metal pen holder. You won't be sorry if you get the ProVari.

It's just so overwhelming. This juice on this atty at this specific voltage is the best, but that juice is best on that atty at that voltage. So hard to get a grip on, honestly. The more I learn the more confused and overwhelmed I become.

dont get overwhelmed, its whatever works for you. Klee made a good point about the provari, its a strong reliable PV, you can set it and forget it, and no more being overwhelmed..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

My big concern is that I just got a silver bullet about 3 weeks ago, and that + batteries, chargers, etc was about $150. I'm afraid that if I get a ProVari my $150 investment in the Silver Bullet will just turn out to be a total waste.

I bet if you took some Good Pictures of it you could sell it in the Classified Section in a Heart Beat.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal

werkkrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2012
Philadelphia
www.werkkrew.com
dont get overwhelmed, its whatever works for you. Klee made a good point about the provari, its a strong reliable PV, you can set it and forget it, and no more being overwhelmed..

I get overwhelmed for a few reasons. First is that I'm a little bit ocd to begin with, I wanna try all the atty's, all the juices, etc. The second, and more important thing is that so far my vaping experience has been a little lackluster. Granted its been positive enough to keep me in, and off analogs, but I'm still chasing that perfect vape. Most of what I have tried so far as been okay, but not perfect. To the point where I am still craving analogs from time to time, even after all these months.

As someone relatively new to the hobby, the number of options is quite overwhelming. I'm trying to settle into my style and learn my preferences before I waste too much money. There's so many different attys, carts, tanks, juices, juice ratios, etc, etc. that finding what is just right for you seems like an endless journey. Shelling out $200 as a part of that process is a little hard to swallow.

J**2

ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Medical Lake, WA, USA
I've a Provari , a GG stealth, and a ego. Gave the ego to my girlfriend and am ordering a Provari mini soon. My GG is used for stealth vaping but it's just a tube and a button. Basically backup for now.

I love Ikenvape i06 attys. Tried to buy 1.5 ohm never in stock. Bought 3.5 i06 which are usually in stock and vape away at 5.5.

Provari rules !!

GG stealth, Provari, iatty2, DIY chef

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread