Looking for new device under $500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pretty happy with Volcano's Lavatube 2 until I started getting 1) wrong e-juice shipment 2) wrong cartomizer with different resistance 3) broken tube tanks 4) Lousy customer service. Figured I can do better elsewhere.

So I'm looking to dump my Volcano gear in the trash and start fresh.

Given how much money I save from vaping (not to mention how much better I feel!) I'm planning to drop $1k for 2 devices.

If you were spending $500 for each setup what would you get? (e.g. Tank, cartomizer/atomizer, battery, device) Just curious as I've only explored pre-configured kits so far (e.g. Volcano, Blu, etc). I haven't really delved much into modding or assembling different components together myself. Reminds me of the time I used to buy pre-assembled computers from Dell, HP, etc before building my own.

Thanks for any help and insight you guys can offer!

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
heck 500 will come close to buying 2 nice mods. my provari and semovar come in under that easy.
I suggested provari because it looks like your already tired of cheap devices with lousy service

if it were me in this position I would get a provari and a nice mechanical maybe even toss a rio in there.

handful of batteries

for prebuilt tanks I would try a glass bottom coil clearo or a carto tank

then a few rebuildables:
a genesis tank
a couple drippers.
maybe toss a kayfun on there.
get the mesh, wire, and silica for it
and then
get some small quantities of DIY juice supplies and start playing with that too.

then lock the door and hang a do not disturb sign on the knob. and turn the phone off.

provari - around 200
nice mechanical, roller and poldiac are my faves -150 to 200
reo - depending on model def under 200
batteries - 5 to 10 ea depending on dealer
carto tank - 20 to 50
clearo - something like a protank - 20 ish
geni - rsst around 40
dripperss. starting at 5 to 10
wire/mesh silica/ umm probably - 60 ish
kayfun light - 110-120

diy juice 100 or less

Last edited:

SirSteve

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Northern Indiana
$1000, I think that should come close to covering it, lol. Really depends on what you want. ProVari is a good choice, many Reo users love their stuff. Mechs, way too many high priced ones for me to keep up with, I am sure suggestions will be made though.

Rebuildables, nice stuff in all price ranges, again I'll let others cover the more pricey stuff.

Thrasher has a good list. The thing about vaping is, we all like different combos, I may be happy with DeKang juice in a Boge carto on an ego, you may find that unsatisfactory.

I wouldn't spend all the money at once, get a couple of good PV's and experiment with juices and delivery systems.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I wouldn't spend all the money at once, get a couple of good PV's and experiment with juices and delivery systems.

I think this is the best advice you've been given so far in this thread.

Personally I would start with something smaller, less expensive but that performs well. Then you can find out what you prefer and then go on to buying the higher end gear when you know what your preferences are. A provari or REO (while excellent devices) are simply not for everyone - and as with most things, there is a learning curve associated with them.

We're really good at spending other peoples money on here :D but even if I went back to the start with a 1K budget, I would still buy my Spinner / EVOD / CE5 setup to start.

I think starting with something simple not only allows you to find what works best for you - but also allows you to learn how to trouble-shoot issues you may encounter without the risk of having juice dripping down the side of your $200 APV while you call provape for support while reaching for the smokes.

Also, when you eventually move on to the higher end devices (if you do) you'll have a solid backup device.

Of course I know I am wrong and await to be enlightened by those that are going to suggest that you can't do subohm on a spinner and so it's a POS...

Damn, first off just want to say I’m blown away with all the helpful replies here. I wasn’t expecting so much great info, so much enthusiasm, and so much down to earth advice. You guys seriously rock!

Thrasher – had no idea re-buildable tank even existed. I’ll have to look into genesis and kayfun when I learn more about advanced vaping!

Gasol – Vamo looks shiny and nice. Never knew there were adjustable drip tips, that’s way cool!

TheSteve/texasguys4/Racehorse/NiceHog/wutarush – I never heard of Reo. Very cool form factor! I’ll have to check out the reviews and specs!

Williebb123 – Thanks for introducing me to DNA-20 via futura. The screen looks amazing. Another thing I need to read up on :)

TheSteve/InTheShade – thanks for grounding me to stay pragmatic and strategic in what and how I purchase these devices! You guys are awesome!

That’s a lot of good info and It’ll keep me quite busy reading up on all these new stuff! Thanks again for so much info. Started eCig last year and already saved over 10K between me and my gf. WA cig price is brutal! (Not to mention we can both breath, smell, taste better.) I'm sure I sound like a broken record haha.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
The two most rugged and renowned mods are the REO with a REOmizer, and the Provari, I prefer a carto tank on mine with Ikenvape carto's. That's around $500, leaving lots of room for other things in the future. Easy to use, rugged, American made by companies that do stand behind them, I've had to send my Provari mini in already, my fault, but they fixed it! They both also hold their value quite well, once you get 25 posts on here you can get "verified" and access the classified section of the forum. It's fun to look if nothing else, just to see some of the impressive things for sale!
The other thing, but this is once you get your feet wetter and have a better understanding of things electrical, a MUCH better understanding! You can look into the IHybrid mechanicals, incredibly simple things that can do awesome things!
I don't have your budget, so I am jealous! But I think this will be my next mechanical, just have to figure out what I want on top of it now! $29.08 Nemesis Mod / E-Cigarette Battery Compartment - stainless steel / with telescopic pin at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
Watch reviews on youtube, as you watch them you will find even more options to consider and see what people do and don't like about them, keep this in mind as you watch, will this work for you or not? Do you need the durability and ruggedness? Do you want smooth vapor production? Do you have any idea what you want?
You've opted a more than realistic budget, but haven't given many more parameters than that, look at these suggestions, get back to us and let us know what you like about this or that, and what you don't, then we can help narrow the search down a bit!

davewuvswaffles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2013
Philadelphia
$1000?

How about this for an idea? To start off, grab a Reo Grand or Reo Mini 2.1, Reomizer 2, a Kick 2, some LR cartos, some batteries and 28 gauge Kanthal.

You get the awesomeness that is a Reo, the ability to turn it into a VV/VW, AND all the gear you'll need to get started in rebuildables.

Then with the extra, oh, $700 or so, you can grab well almost anything short of a Vella or other super high end mech that catches your eye.

Edit: And of course if RBA's turn out not to be your thing, you've got a bottom fed dripping atty that couldn't be any more reliable or easy to use.

Last edited:

dirtycowboy

Moved On
Sep 8, 2013
China
www.ebay.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

pianman6954

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
United States
I agree with most of what you said here, I am sure someone will likewise disagree with me on sub ohm coils but I simply can't understand the advantage to it but to each his own. As far as simple, the spinner is a good start and you can find those in kits now. From my own perspective though if I knew about the VW mods from the start I would have spent less on my other gear from the start.

Shadus

Verified Member
Aug 29, 2013
Canton, OH
My suggestion is... keep your lavatube... and pick up whatever else is suggested here that catches your fancy. The vast majority of ecig batteries including the lavatube don't require a specific vendors gear, there is no reason to trash your lavatube because you're sick of dealing with volcano... get some other tanks and gear and just hang onto it -- if for no other reason, it's a backup! That said, you might enjoy an itaste 134 or a provari, I'm a fan of kanger tanks (protank, protank2, evod, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread