Looking for some answers to my problem. Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichiganGoat

Nov 30, 2014
Grand Rapids, MI
I had this and once I went 100% VG (be sure there is no ethyl alcohol as a thinner) and 0 nic I've had no problem. I never liked the throat hit of a analog and PG and nic have powerful throat hit.

The fact you are sub ohm with the Atlantis and still at 6 nic means your nic hit is magnified. Try reducing to 2 nic and 100% VG for a couple tanks (10 ml bottle of juice)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Well in my and RBA and Atlantis I'm running 90vg/10pg. And I did notice the nic level make a difference but it seems changing nic and ratios only make it last a little more time before the coughing starts. I thought there may have been a pg allergy but even 100vg lead to the same issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of us have a lot more problems with VG than PG -- just because MOST people say that vaping high-VG is easier on your throat doesn't make it true for everyone -- if I vape more than 20% VG, I can't breathe at all! It shuts my airways down completely.

Your wattage is definitely high; even 13w is quite high -- try something like 8w.

Also bear in mind, good ol Big Tobacco puts topical anesthetics and the like into tobacco, just to make it smoother on the throat -- when that effect wears off (it usually takes a couple weeks), then your throat and lungs become a lot more sensitive to EVERYTHING.

And, last but by no means least, if you're doing "lung hits" -- inhaling deeply to the lungs right from the get-go -- that could definitely cause a problem -- try inhaling as if you're sucking on a straw, using the mouth muscles only, hold it a few seconds, then inhale to the lungs if you really feel the need (inhaling to the lungs is not necessary just to get the nicotine). If I tried a lung inhale, I'm quite sure it would probably kill me with coughing.

And finally... it could take as much as a year to finish clearing out the lungs of accumulated tar -- I don't cough as much as I did as a smoker, but it's still there to some extent -- I can't expect the accumulation of a 39 yr smoking habit to be gone in a few weeks or months, it's going to take time.

Andria

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
i have a feeling its due to the high heat from the high wattage. as AndriaD said "it could take as much as a year to finish clearing out the lungs of accumulated tar -- I don't cough as much as I did as a smoker, but it's still there to some extent "

i quit over a year ago - still waking up coughing some days, but no black crud in the mucus. - just got an istick for chrsitmas and a good RTA, i went from 6W vaping with 1.8ohm coils. to 13W vaping on a 1.3ohm coil. today i woke up coughing, and after i took a toot at 13W, i coughed up black mucus - TAR IS STILL IN MY LUNGS FROM OVER A YEAR!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
i have a feeling its due to the high heat from the high wattage. as AndriaD said "it could take as much as a year to finish clearing out the lungs of accumulated tar -- I don't cough as much as I did as a smoker, but it's still there to some extent "

i quit over a year ago - still waking up coughing some days, but no black crud in the mucus. - just got an istick for chrsitmas and a good RTA, i went from 6W vaping with 1.8ohm coils. to 13W vaping on a 1.3ohm coil. today i woke up coughing, and after i took a toot at 13W, i coughed up black mucus - TAR IS STILL IN MY LUNGS FROM OVER A YEAR!

And the coughing is actually a good thing -- far worse if that stuff never came out! When I got back on maintenance meds for my asthma, after starting to have breathing problems from vaping as I never had from smoking, I started coughing more, but now it's a productive cough rather than a dry scratchy wheezy cough; my husband's like "I thought that new medicine was supposed to help" -- but that stuff has to come out, and coughing is the only way to do it.

Andria

tae111

Dec 31, 2014
Byram Twp. NJ.
If you have a 1.2 ohm build and are vaping at 25 watts that's pretty low. My .16 ohm rda won't hardly fire at that level. I usually run around 70 watts. We are not even talking about sub ohms here. I agree with the posters that are saying go with a high vg. Pg is nasty for a lot of people. Once I got away from the pg all the stuff that was associated with smoking, shortness of breath, sore throat, coughing, went away. try a 80 vg 20 pg for awhile and see if that doesn't stop the sore throat issues.

fagoff

Moved On
Dec 13, 2014
new zealand
I was a 40 years full on smoker quit 4 months ago .I have stayed with an ego-T ecig I don't think they are very high wattage .I do tend to hammer it a bit in the evenings and get a raspy dry throat my wife sometimes comments about it .I got crook in December went to Dr and found I had a nasty respiratory infection he put me on antibiotics and three different inhalors im getting better now slowly but surely. the next lot of juice ive ordered is 12 mg nicotine down from 18 and 50/50 from Mt Baker the stuff I buy here could be anything the people who sell it have no idea. I do find I need to keep my throat regularly moistened vaping drys it out big time,I suck mints and try to remember to drink lots of water. Hope that helps.

brizz

Oct 29, 2014
Arizona
You all contributed a lot of great input!! I do lung hit often as my airflow on many of my RBA and tanks is wide open so I do enjoy those straight lung hits. My preferred flavors are dessert and bakery not a fan of fruit at all not even the fruits with cream. Also I've tried dropping those watts to between 8-13 and barely heats the cotton up. I think moving forward for a week I will drop my pg levels then if that doesn't work try dropping my vg levels. If all else fails try the ol mouth to lung hits. I smoked for 11 years and almost 2 packs a day for those who asked. But truly I appreciate all the help. Hopefully staying hydrated and doing a little trial and error will resolve my issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMRs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Penn's woods
If you have a 1.2 ohm build and are vaping at 25 watts that's pretty low. My .16 ohm rda won't hardly fire at that level. I usually run around 70 watts. We are not even talking about sub ohms here. I agree with the posters that are saying go with a high vg. Pg is nasty for a lot of people. Once I got away from the pg all the stuff that was associated with smoking, shortness of breath, sore throat, coughing, went away. try a 80 vg 20 pg for awhile and see if that doesn't stop the sore throat issues.
20/80 is what I do now and it does help a lot in several ways. The reason I lowered my PG intake is because I always had bad cases of acne from it. :facepalm:
Happy 2015

Very good post! I just wanted to add that PG for me is a different nightmare. After almost 3 years of vaping, since the first week of vaping, I reverted back to a 14 year old. My face was breaking out like crazy and it was actually painful! Up until about 3 or 4 months ago, somehow I figured it all out. I lowered the PG in my juice and amazingly no more zits!

Yup, there's a small percentage of the population that has any reaction to PG, inhaled or otherwise. I had a sensativity to PG actually build up into a somewhat severe allergic reaction. I go through alot of juice. About 30ml on an average day. I started Vaping 80VG/20PG (dripping and rebuildable tanks). Using protanks and whatnot, I didn't use nearly as much joose, so I never noticed the scratchy throat. When I found a 50/50 blend joose that I loved after I started dripping, I burnt through more than 30ml in less than a day. that evening I felt horrible. Throat so raw it hurt to swallow, pounding headache, weird itchy feeling, so I retired for the evening. When I woke up...it was no bueno... Still had the deadache, throat still on fire...but now I was covered in hives/rash head to toe. Dr. said I'd built up to an allergic reaction to the high concentration of PG and was a little dehydrated. Now I stick with 90VG or better when I can. No issues since :)... well as long as I drink enough water that is.

One of the other things that can contribute to the scratchy throat can be the wick material. Silica can do this for some people. One lady at a local shop complained that every joose had a weird after taste. I had her try the same joose she just tasted in an evod from my Lemo, and there it was. No more weird aftertaste and she said it felt smoother on her throat.:2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread