Looking for Suggestions on Starter RDA/RTA's

Status
Not open for further replies.

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
I am looking for advice/suggestions on the type of RDA and/or RTA that I should get. I'm thinking that I would like to initially begin with a single coil at 1.6 ohms. I like to vape around 8 - 10 Watts.

I am not totally new to building coils, I used to rebuild Kanger Protank coils three years ago but when I discovered Aspire ETS tanks I went in that direction and didn't rebuild any coils again. So in a way I'm new again, considering I'm realizing quite rapidly, that technology and equipment have improved tremendously since I built my last coil.

I would probably consider myself a beginner again. Maybe eventually I would try to build double coils, but I'm not too interested in sub-ohms. I like big flavors, not a cloud chaser, although a good production would be nice. I like the 510 driptips, I currently have a Cool Fire Innokin battery with Subohm tank. I'm not really fond of the really airy wide tip. Maybe it's something I have to get used to.

I do have these mods arriving shortly:
1 Eleaf iStick Pico 75W TC
2 LG HG2 INR18650 LiMn 3000mAh Battery - 20 Amp
1 Eleaf Aster - White

Well hopefully gave you enough information to give some suggestions. Thanks for any help!

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
Much appreciated dsheik! :) I think that I would agree with you. I spent a lot of time the last 24 hours reading lots of threads here and it seems like I keep coming back to the Kayfun tanks. A simple build with a coil set up I'm familiar with.

What I wasn't aware of was what MTL and DL's meant until all the reading. Didn't realize they had different tanks or builds for the two styles. Boy the Vaping world seemed to have barreled full steam ahead and I missed that train.

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
I have about the same taste as you. Looking for great flavor and more of a MTL draw for that throat hit. I settled on the Kayfuns for that. I build my coils about 1.1- 1.2 ohms. vape at or around 4.1v or 13w.

Forget the sub ohm tanks and wide bore tip setups, they wont give you what your looking for even if you try shutting down the airflow to a minimum. They arent designed for that.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
A Kayfun 3.1es was my first. It has a little bigger deck than a mini. Sadly, I PIF'd all my Kayfuns when I went Shinyitis for the latest and greatest stuff.

But, when the FDA came along with their "deemings", I re-thought as to what worked for me. I have multiples of four different RTAs. I have two sets of bottom feeder RDAs and a couple of straight RDAs. But, the first set of RTAs I decided on was the Kayfun Lite Plus V2 with Dual Airflow from Longhorn Vapors. A touch more air than the standard single hole.

Anyway, I went back to Kayfun. They are pretty simple, don't leak, and have rather good flavor. Good stuff.

dsheik

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
overland park, KS
I took a similar path. lol A few years back I found a really good vape with the Kayfun light plus once I got the hang of it, but like many got caught up in the shinyitis, sub-ohm craze. Wasted a lot of money on either junk or stuff that wasnt suited for me. The deeming regs put things in perspective and made me more level headed on what I would be purchasing.

Like you , things that simply worked. Kayfun, Provari, etc.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I took a similar path. lol A few years back I found a really good vape with the Kayfun light plus once I got the hang of it, but like many got caught up in the shinyitis, sub-ohm craze. Wasted a lot of money on either junk or stuff that wasnt suited for me. The deeming regs put things in perspective and made me more level headed on what I would be purchasing.

Like you , things that simply worked. Kayfun, Provari, etc.

Yep, I added 5 Provari. I bought so much in the last 6-8 months that I just don't have a need to buy more. I got those 9 Kayfuns and then the extras, plus fattened out other RTA "groups" that have more air for those days that I want it. I look over at my rack and I see 2 KFL, 2 STM, 3 Squapes and an Eden Rose. So much in Tupperware storage.

Sad about not really buying, but nothing new will be coming and my other half is not happy that I quit nicotine, but not spending more money.

A lot of turbulence in the next few years. Sad for those that are just starting to give vaping a shot to quit smoking. Vaping has definitely saved me.

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
I have about the same taste as you. Looking for great flavor and more of a MTL draw for that throat hit. I settled on the Kayfuns for that. I build my coils about 1.1- 1.2 ohms. vape at or around 4.1v or 13w.

Forget the sub ohm tanks and wide bore tip setups, they wont give you what your looking for even if you try shutting down the airflow to a minimum. They arent designed for that.

The iSub Tank that came with the Coolfire had me realizing that I wasn't overly fond of the wide mouth. The tank was just way too airy. I did close the air flow as much as I could and just wasn't satisfying. I finally just traded out the iSub Tank with my Aspire tank and returned to my little happy spot.

Before this post, I did buy 3 types of RDA's from Fasttech. One has 3 posts and the other two are Velocity decks. I looked for 510 drip tip adapters but then, after they were already shipped and on their way here, I had that tiny gut feeling that they may not be what I was looking for. Hence this post! I guess I will be making a new order on Fasttech really soon!

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
A Kayfun 3.1es was my first. It has a little bigger deck than a mini. Sadly, I PIF'd all my Kayfuns when I went Shinyitis for the latest and greatest stuff.

But, when the FDA came along with their "deemings", I re-thought as to what worked for me. I have multiples of four different RTAs. I have two sets of bottom feeder RDAs and a couple of straight RDAs. But, the first set of RTAs I decided on was the Kayfun Lite Plus V2 with Dual Airflow from Longhorn Vapors. A touch more air than the standard single hole.

Anyway, I went back to Kayfun. They are pretty simple, don't leak, and have rather good flavor. Good stuff.

"Shinyitis" is very contagious! I had it when I first started vaping many years ago! But the selection wasn't as big as it is now. I gave a lot of my Evod starters away to friends who were wanting to try so they could quit too. But I was buying and trying different Batteries and Tanks. I went to a local vape shop and bought a small RDA and had some coils built on it. I didn't like it very much because it had no airflow. Suggestion was to bore more holes in it, but I didn't have the tools or the desire since I discovered rebuilding Protank coils. Shinyitis wore off after about a year when I found the batteries and tanks I liked. Then I went on vaping happily for a couple years oblivious to the changes that were occurring.

I knew about the FDA regulations that were coming, but I didn't really think it would affect me, until it did.... A wall was formed between me and my favorite vendor called Blue Check. That's a wall I will not pass. So that is why I'm here now. Now my favorite juice is unavailable to me so I had turned to DYI. That terrified me until it didn't. LOL So now that I have the DYI working, I realized my tanks and atomizers aren't going to be lasting forever either. So here I am, returning to the idea of me building my own coils again.

If the FDA becomes oppressive that it stifles the vaping world. I don't want to be caught off guard because what I want or use is no longer available. I need to be more self reliant I think.

I'm going to get some Kayfuns, the V5 comes in regular and mini size, what is the difference? What wire should I get to get the build I'm looking for? 24, 26 or 28 gauge? Like I said its been a while since I built my last coil.

Reactions: Eskie

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
Yep, I added 5 Provari. I bought so much in the last 6-8 months that I just don't have a need to buy more. I got those 9 Kayfuns and then the extras, plus fattened out other RTA "groups" that have more air for those days that I want it. I look over at my rack and I see 2 KFL, 2 STM, 3 Squapes and an Eden Rose. So much in Tupperware storage.

Sad about not really buying, but nothing new will be coming and my other half is not happy that I quit nicotine, but not spending more money.

A lot of turbulence in the next few years. Sad for those that are just starting to give vaping a shot to quit smoking. Vaping has definitely saved me.

Vaping was the only thing that helped me stop a 25+ year bad habit. Therefore I feel for those who are thinking about quitting and having to swim through so much misinformation in the news and even the FDA! I think I trust my doc when he says my lung function has improved greatly and my blood pressure is good, then says don't start smoking again! He is for Vaping as a tool to quit as I'm not his only patient that has gone this route with success and improved health. I hope those who are trying to quit now much success!.

I saw a ProVari 2.5 Dragon on ProVapes for a great price. Might be worth getting an extra mod.. but I just bought two that arrived today!

Reactions: Eskie

Rex Everything

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2014
Tacoma
the pico/serpent mini is a great combo ....compact, easy builds and pretty sure you can dial the air flow down enough...oh and while it comes with a fairly wide DT its a 510 so easy find something that will work for you....and pretty damn leak resistant (i own 2 and never had a leak)

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
the pico/serpent mini is a great combo ....compact, easy builds and pretty sure you can dial the air flow down enough...oh and while it comes with a fairly wide DT its a 510 so easy find something that will work for you....and pretty damn leak resistant (i own 2 and never had a leak)

Thanks! I will definitely look into this as well. Looks like it would be easy to build on.

Mason Van

Unresolved Status
Sep 7, 2016
China
www.dhgate.com
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

nova_did_it

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Glendale, AZ, USA
If you ever feel like venturing into RDA's, The NarDA my favorite single coil atomizer and it has AMAZING flavor. The build is also very simple and they are plenty of build guides for it. The height of the coil is really the only thing you have to mind.
Thanks for the suggestion! I got a few RDA's and my problem is with the Airflow being too Airy. Unless I learn to do DL hits they may work so I'm keeping them around. But I will definitely check this out :D

Sickbabies

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2016
New York
Thanks for the suggestion! I got a few RDA's and my problem is with the Airflow being too Airy. Unless I learn to do DL hits they may work so I'm keeping them around. But I will definitely check this out :D

The NarDA can be closed down pretty tight for a nice draw. You could also even block off one of the airflow holes to get even tighter

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
If you are at 8 Watts maybe the NarDA is already overkill concerning airflow.
Maybe try a small chambered single coil RDA with a really tight draw, like this:
SMOKTech MINI RDA Atomizer
At 8 Watts it has superb flavor. Seriously tight draw, but that can be fixed by drilling, if needed. 3 dollars... good value as well imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread