Looking for the perfect RTA or RDTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaep

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
San Diego
I have been vaping the Wotofo Serpent RTA for a while now but has leaking and dry-hit issues. The Serpent RDTA is amazing but the juice capacity is only 2.5ml. Im looking to upgrade..

I like the Billows and Limos but they're too tall and also have a few issues....and im sure there's something newer/better out by now.. I know im an oldschool vaper and I should know my shtuff, but tbh, I mainly just geek out on APVs...I am out of the loop when it comes to attys these days..

Needs:

- Single-coil capability
- 4 to 5ml juice capacity
- Not sub-ohm only
- Good for 20 to 40watt vaping
- 24 or 25mm width
- Below 60mm in height
- 510 driptip compatible
- Must have MTL capability (prefer restricted DTL or open MTL)
- RTA or RDTA
- Minimal leakage
- No finicky refilling

List of recommended RTA's as seen below:

OBS Engine Nano
GeekVape Blitzen
Vandy Vape Kaylin Mini
Wofoto Serpent Mini
GeekVape Zeus
Innokin Ares
DigiFlavor Siren 2
Animodz Doggystyle (or SJMY version)
Digiflavor Pharaoh Mini

Last edited:

Vaep

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
San Diego
Perfect then! It looks like the Siren2 would have more airflow judging by the size of the holes under the coil. The Ares carries .5 more ml capacity. Both RTAs have topcap issues making them not the best for carrying in your pocket. It seems like the Ares would require less fillings due to the capacity and airflow, but its a pretty even fight in my eyes!

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Sort of unrelated but here's some oldschool RTAs with shorty topcaps and rotted out acrylic (threaded) sections..lol..I think they only held maybe half a ml of juice each haha..Orchid and Kayfun clones...and also an eGo+eVod...who needs a "pod" vape? :lol:
wih27wm.jpg
Ok don't go making fun of my Evods. :D I usually DTL (semi-restricted) but I still have like a dozen of those Evods. Those are a great little stealth vape on a pico or the like. I build them to around 2.2ohm and run 12-18mg nic in them and they are great. Yeah, only hold a bit of juice, but they last a LONG time with that build and nic level. Those Evods are great to have around.

I like the Siren 2 wide open as well. It's a solid vape for me, hope you enjoy yours.

That said, I also am a fan of the Serpent SMM. Run that wide open as well, definitely a different vape than the Siren, but I enjoy them both. Main leaking I get from the SMM is after filling. Screwing down the top cap can increase the pressure and push juice out the airflow. What works for me is after filling, I give it a good few pulls right after tightening the cap down. This seems to vape off the juice pushed up through the cotton and keeps it from leaking. It's a good vape though. Depending on your coil (heat capacity) and vaping style, you will of course get the obligatory condensation from the bottom airflow.

I've got the Zeus as well, but seem to keep going back to the Serpent SMM the most since I'm very familiar with it. I'm sure the Zeus will be enjoyed as well once I get around to it. :thumb:. Been squonking a bit, so my RTAs are getting ignored for the most part currently.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Thanks guys. I like the width of the Blitzen but the driptip is way too wide for my vape style (MTL) so I got the Engine Nano.. Seems perfect and the price is too nice.. Cheers!
That's what I like about alot of tanks, they include a 510 DT adapter so it can be used MTL. [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My topcap was initially a bit loose. It never leaked though, just sometimes wouldn't click into place completely, but it never leaked.

There were early reports of condensation in the chimney/drip tip, but those have apparently been fixed. I dont' really know why mine stopped doing it, but it also seems there are some machining "tolerances" that can also make the airflow ring tighter or looser. Mine's a bit tight, but has been loosening up.

Despite all this, I do recommend it. It's my second favorite RTA so far, flavor is great. The things I'm talking about are more like "small niggling issues" not dealbreakers. I might not have ordered another if my topcap HADN'T stopped doing that, but I would have continued vaping the one I had.

Anna

Vaep

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
San Diego
OK I got the Siren2. Was a bit cheaper than the Ares and Ive had the Siren2 in the back of my mind since Ive seen it recommended so much, but I thought the airflow might be too tight. But then I remembered that I never have open airflow on my Serpent RTA. Its always at 25% open, so if the Siren2 can match that, ill be happy. DONE. :] :]

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I know you already chose another RTA, but wanted to throw this out there just in case anyone else is wondering. My ares (and all the rest in the shops I went to around me) had nice tight top caps on them. An older one the shop owner uses does have a wobble to the top, but he said there was no leaks.

Vaep

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
San Diego
Im wondering now if the Siren 2 will be too tight of a draw for me... I MTL but also DTL randomly because my current atty (original Serpent RTA) has big enough airflow to do both. I guess that is where my hotspot is; Just enough airflow to have a loose, effortless MTL draw, and also a slightly restrictive DTL draw, without even having to adjust the AFC.

I guess I will see how the Siren goes when it arrives in a month.. If its too tight then ill be looking at a more open tank....I got my eye on the Zeus and the Engine Nano mainly.. Also the Serpent SMM but while it would be great to have no leaks, im having doubts about side airflow when compared to under airflow. How different is it? The rest of the RTAs yall listed seem like too much airflow for my style but I could be wrong-- I wish I knew how dynamic the AFCs of these RTAs are..

Sort of unrelated but here's some oldschool RTAs with shorty topcaps and rotted out acrylic (threaded) sections..lol..I think they only held maybe half a ml of juice each haha..Orchid and Kayfun clones...and also an eGo+eVod...who needs a "pod" vape? :lol:
wih27wm.jpg

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think the Siren V2 top would come off in a pocket, mine has floated (successfully) with the airholes open in my purse. Same with the Ares, though, and 0 leaks. The ares "click into place thing" is fairly substantial. Mine was a bit loose on arrival but has gotten tighter (I don't understand this at all or why) but it has.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread