Status
Not open for further replies.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Hello, world!

I've been using e-cigs on and off for a good long while now, but have not yet got into rebuildables. I figure it's high time for me to finally give them a shot.

I've read a lot of great reviews on the kayfun line, and it's clones, and feel this would be a good way to go. So far I've got my eye on a Black Russian (clone of the Russian 91%):
Kayfun Lite Atomizer Clone Black Russian Ed Red OS Clear SS Mids Adj Airflow | eBay

I don't have any mech mods at this time, but was planning on giving it a shot on my DNA20 device to start off with. If I do enjoy it and want to stick with it, I was planning on picking up an ohm reader, a couple Sony VTC4 batteries, and the new Clone V1 from Stealth Vape (a copper nemesis style mod):
Clone V1

However, when it comes down to other things I'll need, I'm a bit stumped. I don't know what type of wire and wick I should start off with. Does it make a difference to a new user? Are there a certain types of kanthal and wick which will make building coils easier? Are there certain types of coils builds I should start off using in a KFL style atty?

I'm open to any suggestions or advice relating to my choices in hardware, or on building coils for an RBA noob. I appreciate any input!

Woody

Last edited:

JavaDan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Chesapeake Bay
Woody,

First off, I would suggest you start out with a cheaper RBA. The Kayfun/Russian will run you +- $100 for something you are not sure you'll like. I would start out with an AGA-T2. You will only have about $30 bucks invested if you don't like it. If you DO like it, you'll have a nice, dependable RBA that is flexible insofar as you can use it dual or single coil with various wicking setups. Then you can splurge for a Kayfun/Russian.

Check out the sticky in this forum that describes the wire types and resistances. The thicker the wire, the easier it will be to wrap (generally) but everything is a trade-off. I would start out with 30ga A1 Kanthal, but I could be starting a war here. ;)

An ohm meter is a must unless you have a good, very protected battery like the Provari.

As for wicks, your choices are pretty much wide open: Mesh, silica, Ekowool, ceramic, cotton, rope, SS braid. Keep it simple. Stick with mesh to start with. There are a lot of decent YouTube vids on wrapping both coils and mesh wicks. Research is a good thing.

I'm not experienced, just starting RBA myself, but that's the advice I've gotten, and it is working out pretty well. I started with an AGA-T2, and then got a Z-Atty Pro. Next up will be a Kayfun. YMMV.

--Dan

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
First off, I would suggest you start out with a cheaper RBA. The Kayfun/Russian will run you +- $100 for something you are not sure you'll like...

Check out the sticky in this forum that describes the wire types and resistances. The thicker the wire, the easier it will be to wrap (generally) but everything is a trade-off. I would start out with 30ga A1 Kanthal, but I could be starting a war here. ;)

An ohm meter is a must unless you have a good, very protected battery like the Provari.

As for wicks, your choices are pretty much wide open: Mesh, silica, Ekowool, ceramic, cotton, rope, SS braid. Keep it simple. Stick with mesh to start with. There are a lot of decent YouTube vids on wrapping both coils and mesh wicks. Research is a good thing.

Thanks for the quick reply and the info!

The R91 clone I posted is about $40 (the price will come back down when he has more in stock), so I don't think that's too unfair to start off with. With how popular these KFL style devices are, I figure it'll be slightly easier to find help or advice if I need to in the future.

I checked out the sticky and bookmarked it, thanks for that! I also sourced some 30 guage A-1 for $4 for a 25 foot roll. I figure that may be able to get me started off.

My two mods at this time are a DNA20 mod and a SID. They both have protections built-in and an ohm display. I figure that should be good enough to get started with? Is there any danger in checking resistance on a mod rather than an ohm-meter?

I've heard lots of good things about using organic cotton, so that is what I'm more familiar with, but if mesh is easier, I may check into that.

I'll have to do some more research later today when I have the time.

Thanks again!

Woody

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
My first RBA was an HCigar Kayfun 3.1 clone that I got for around $45..... I bought some 28ga. Kanthal and some cotton, and wrapped a coil around a 5/64" Drill Bit, which came out to 1.3 Ohms.... Following the advice of some Youtube vids I watched, I then attached the Coil & fed the cotton through the coil. I then put the chimney on, pushed the cotton down onto the deck, & primed the wick. I was then able to fill the Kayfun & vape away...

All in all, it was a pretty easy & straightforward process IMHO, and the vape is EXCELLENT.....If I had it to do all over again, I would still go with the Kayfun....They are great fun to build on, and you have the benefit of a tank so you don't have to drip every few hits....

JavaDan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Chesapeake Bay
My two mods at this time are a DNA20 mod and a SID. They both have protections built-in and an ohm display. I figure that should be good enough to get started with? Is there any danger in checking resistance on a mod rather than an ohm-meter?

No danger so long as you have the protection. A SID should be just fine. I can't speak to the DNA20. I use my Provari and have not had any issues.

I've heard lots of good things about using organic cotton, so that is what I'm more familiar with, but if mesh is easier, I may check into that.

Me too. I'm going to try a micro coil with cotton on my AGA-T2 this weekend.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
I just pulled the trigger on some 28 gauge Kanthal and some organic cotton. Still waiting for the Black Russians to come back in stock some time this week.

I've already got the batteries and ohm meter picked out and ready to order if RBA's feels like something I'm going to stick with. From all the great things I've heard about the Kayfun and it's clones, I'm sure that won't be an issue ;)

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
Well, I pulled the trigger on the real KFL+ and just built it out for the first time...

Wow. That's all I can say.

After going through so many dripping atties and tanks over the years, I finally understand why these rebuildables are so danged popular. This thing has the flavor of a Cisco atty, the juice capacity of the largest tanks, and produces more thick vapor than anything I've used to date.

I think I have found my end-game of vaping :D Now to pick up a DNA30 mod to go with it.... looking at that Hana Modz v3 really hard right now.

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread