Looking to get into rebuildable coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
hey guys,

For a long time I’ve been vaping using the cloud beast king, but I just can’t stand buying these overly expensive coils anymore and having them burn out in three days or having the tank leak everywhere (starting to think smok sucks), so I’m moving on to rebuildable coils. I don’t really know where to start so if anyone could give me any tips for a beginner I would appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Your thoughts are not wrong, Smok really is not that great of a manufacturer in general.

First off, you will need to decide on a rebuildable system. An RDA is a good choice for beginners to start with. You don't have to worry about having to get the wicking just right to keep it from leaking.

You will need to choose whether you want a single or dual coil. Single coil would be easier to start with. On a dual coil you will need to balance two coils and get them heating evenly, which is a little tricky at times.

Once you get that figured out, you need to decide if you want to build coils, or buy pre-made coils. Either is fine, just with pre-made coils you will want to know what resistance range you want and buy accordingly.

You then will need some cotton, and and a pair of wire cutters and you will be ready to build.

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
Your thoughts are not wrong, Smok really is not that great of a manufacturer in general.

First off, you will need to decide on a rebuildable system. An RDA is a good choice for beginners to start with. You don't have to worry about having to get the wicking just right to keep it from leaking.

You will need to choose whether you want a single or dual coil. Single coil would be easier to start with. On a dual coil you will need to balance two coils and get them heating evenly, which is a little tricky at times.

Once you get that figured out, you need to decide if you want to build coils, or buy pre-made coils. Either is fine, just with pre-made coils you will want to know what resistance range you want and buy accordingly.

You then will need some cotton, and and a pair of wire cutters and you will be ready to build.
Yeah I’ve been using smok products for over a year and I’m fed up for sure. At first with the cloud beast king I loved the clouds, but then I realized I could get pretty much the same results from something that is better quality and cheaper to maintain. Thanks for the advice!

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Another easy option would be a genesis-style RDTA, like the Geekvape Avocado or Ijoy Combo for example. They are simple to build and don't leak like a lot of RTAs.
I found that RDTAs are very leak free when you leave them upright, but if they end up horizontal they seem to leak very bad. I had my ijoy combo leak an entire tank in my pocket before, never fun when that happens.

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie
Your wicking needs to be improved, plenty on advice on Youtube! You dont want to cram the wicks in or you get dry hits, make sure they take up the juice feed hole by fluffing up the cotton, I have a spare dual coil RTA I am no longer using, if you want it? For the TFV12!

• Useful

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Your wicking needs to be improved, plenty on advice on Youtube! You dont want to cram the wicks in or you get dry hits, make sure they take up the juice feed hole by fluffing up the cotton, I have a spare dual coil RTA I am no longer using, if you want it? For the TFV12!

I have wicked it every way possible. When the leaking stops (which only happens when it lays on its side) I begin to get dry hits. If I use just a little less, leaks. Personally, i don't use anything other than RDAs on squonk mods anymore anyway, so I have no desire to try it again. When I did use it (and I loved using it, the combo has great flavor and I loved the I interchangeable decks) I just used it as an at home only unit, worked great for that.

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
Good advice thanks! That’s ok, but thank tiu

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I suggest CHEAP single coil RDA ... Use the RDA to learn to build and learn to wick the coil......

Then shop for a tank... I would Start with an RDTA easier to wick the tanks. As these are RDA with a tank under the deck. Most are dual coil but some come with chamber plugs so they can be used single coil.

No tank is leak proof.... some leak less and are harder to make leak. But given the right physical and atmospheric conditions they all leak. Including RDA. That why wicking can be a challenge. ... the same wick is used to feed the coil and seal the tank.... and often the need of one is detrimental to the other. Get it wrong you get bad flavor or burnt wicks or leaks or too much/little juice to coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
I suggest CHEAP single coil RDA ... Use the RDA to learn to build and learn to wick the coil......

Then shop for a tank... I would Start with an RDTA easier to wick the tanks. As these are RDA with a tank under the deck. Most are dual coil but some come with chamber plugs so they can be used single coil.

No tank is leak proof.... some leak less and are harder to make leak. But given the right physical and atmospheric conditions they all leak. Including RDA. That why wicking can be a challenge. ... the same wick is used to feed the coil and seal the tank.... and often the need of one is detrimental to the other. Get it wrong you get bad flavor or burnt wicks or leaks or too much/little juice to coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
starting to think smok sucks, so I’m moving on to rebuildable coils. I don’t really know where to start so if anyone could give me any tips for a beginner I would appreciate it!
I'm in agreement. SMOK sucks.

I wouldn't give up on clearomizers just yet. Don't give up clearomizers or drop in coils based solely on your experience with SMOK.

I'm a reasonably experienced vaper (over 6 years) who has been rebuilding coils since the beginning of rebuildables. There came a point in time a couple of years ago when I just got tired of rebuilding and rewicking, and found a solid, reliable clearomizer. I appreciate the convenience of factory made, drop in coils in a good tank.

I suggest the original Uwell Crown tank. Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank I've been using these tanks for the last 3 years. I've never experienced any leaking. The coils last me at least 3 - 4 weeks. The flavor and vapor production equals a RDA/RTA, in my opinion.

• Useful

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
I'm in agreement. SMOK sucks.

I wouldn't give up on clearomizers just yet. Don't give up clearomizers or drop in coils based solely on your experience with SMOK.

I'm a reasonably experienced vaper (over 6 years) who has been rebuilding coils since the beginning of rebuildables. There came a point in time a couple of years ago when I just got tired of rebuilding and rewicking, and found a solid, reliable clearomizer. I appreciate the convenience of factory made, drop in coils in a good tank.

I suggest the original Uwell Crown tank. Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank I've been using these tanks for the last 3 years. I've never experienced any leaking. The coils last me at least 3 - 4 weeks. The flavor and vapor production equals a RDA/RTA, in my opinion.
I’ll look into it, thanks!

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
hey guys,

For a long time I’ve been vaping using the cloud beast king, but I just can’t stand buying these overly expensive coils anymore and having them burn out in three days or having the tank leak everywhere (starting to think smok sucks), so I’m moving on to rebuildable coils. I don’t really know where to start so if anyone could give me any tips for a beginner I would appreciate it!

…I'm a reasonably experienced vaper (over 6 years) who has been rebuilding coils since the beginning of rebuildables. There came a point in time a couple of years ago when I just got tired of rebuilding and rewicking, and found a solid, reliable clearomizer. I appreciate the convenience of factory made, drop in coils in a good tank.…

With the caveat that a well made rebuilt drop-in can be far and away better suited to our individual vape and consistently so in comparison to typical factory offerings.

There's no better hidden secret on this forum than harnessing the principles of strain…

A fabulous vape in 30 seconds and no better method for an honest baseline. Vape memory is all too easily persuaded by shiny and me gots too.

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!

Then there's always chuckin' horseshoes. ;)

what type of vapor are you? MTl, DL, cloud chasing?

All of the above.

Good luck. :)

p.s. Think mass to wetted surface area. What does it get ya?

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
With the caveat that a well made rebuilt drop-in can be far and away better suited to our individual vape and consistently so in comparison to typical factory offerings.

There's no better hidden secret on this forum than harnessing the principles of strain…

A fabulous vape in 30 seconds and no better method for an honest baseline. Vape memory is all too easily persuaded by shiny and me gots too.

Tensioned Micro Coils. The next step.
Protank MicroCoil Discussion!

Then there's always chuckin' horseshoes. ;)

All of the above.

Good luck. :)

p.s. Think mass to wetted surface area. What does it get ya?
Thanks!

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
Though I do not agree about SMOK I will say that building your own coils is cool but that gets old too. I started off building coils and wicking years ago and then got tired of having to do it so went back to premade coils with tanks like the super tank, prince, beast, Falcon etc...

I have several RDA's and RTA's and I'm not going to lie to you; a good tank such as the crown, Falcon etc will provide just as much flavor as RDA or RTA. In fact these newer tanks with premade coil/wick units are so good that they sometimes taste better than anything I can get out of a rebuildable. Just something to think on.

I prefer the convenience of drop in coils over building now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread