Looking to get into rebuildable coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
Though I do not agree about SMOK I will say that building your own coils is cool but that gets old too. I started off building coils and wicking years ago and then got tired of having to do it so went back to premade coils with tanks like the super tank, prince, beast, Falcon etc...

I have several RDA's and RTA's and I'm not going to lie to you; a good tank such as the crown, Falcon etc will provide just as much flavor as RDA or RTA. In fact these newer tanks with premade coil/wick units are so good that they sometimes taste better than anything I can get out of a rebuildable. Just something to think on.

I prefer the convenience of drop in coils over building now.
Thanks for the advice! I’m gonna try out and who knows maybe I will lile drop ins better

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks for the advice! I’m gonna try out and who knows maybe I will lile drop ins better
Not too many drop ins can beat a rebuildable for flavor. Will say the Fireluke dual mesh comes pretty close.

Snicks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2013
Riverside, CA
Not too many drop ins can beat a rebuildable for flavor. Will say the Fireluke dual mesh comes pretty close.
The falcon mesh does. It consistently puts out as much flavor as any rebuildable I have tried.

/edit: I should say any rebuildable I own and nothing that is crazy exotic. I mean I have seen some pretty exotic coil builds that I bet put out tons of flavor but the guy just starting out is not going to be building like this.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
or having the tank leak everywhere

Top flow air. Other than some seepage around the 510 on Themis I have not had anything approaching leaking. I think you would have to have them pre-flooded and then turn them upside down to realistically get a leak unless the top isn't on. I've only seen one person complaining about leaking.

I’d say I’m a cloud chaser

GeekVapes Zeus (single or dual, I have dual) or Digiflavor Themis (I have the mesh/clamp deck) are the two I know and love in that category. You would probably want the dual in either, wicking the Themis mesh may be difficult when new.

I don’t really know where to start so if anyone could give me any tips for a beginner I would appreciate it!

Search YouTube and the forums for whatever you decide on before you buy to get an idea of how easy/hard they are.

The two I mention trend towards hard for people because they put too much wick in the feed and choke it off. Being new to RTA you may not have that issue since you're not used to choking off feeds to stop leaking, as long as you watch videos and get an idea of the concept. The best tip I got was build like it would flood if it was a SubTank RTA.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm sort of in agreement with the clone thing to see what types of rebuildables will work best for you and the single coil to start, although there are certainly people out there who are far more manually dexterous than me. Once you've found something you really like that will give you a sense of what direction to go in, kind of thing, although there are many clones that are a perfectly nice vape unto their own right. It took me a while to get the whole rebuilding thing, and I'm glad I didn't start out on supremely expensive atomizers AND one of my favorite attys really can only be bought as a clone due to the cost and availability of the original.

I started out with a coilmaster kit and I'm glad I did, it kind of gave me everything I needed to hand but your mileage may vary on that.

Best of luck, and I agree there are probably infinity maybe better drop ins than Smok, so whether you rebuild or not (and I am urging you to try it) it's sometimes nice to know you have something reliable that won't leak on the go, so you could do both, get a better atomizer AND try some rebuildable ones. I have lots of RTAs I like, but I still really enjoy and get plenty of use out of some drop in coil types and I am glad I didn't limit myself to one or the other and etc.

Anna

Reactions: Snicks

Gottahavemyvape

Jul 20, 2018
I'm sort of in agreement with the clone thing to see what types of rebuildables will work best for you and the single coil to start, although there are certainly people out there who are far more manually dexterous than me. Once you've found something you really like that will give you a sense of what direction to go in, kind of thing, although there are many clones that are a perfectly nice vape unto their own right. It took me a while to get the whole rebuilding thing, and I'm glad I didn't start out on supremely expensive atomizers AND one of my favorite attys really can only be bought as a clone due to the cost and availability of the original.

I started out with a coilmaster kit and I'm glad I did, it kind of gave me everything I needed to hand but your mileage may vary on that.

Best of luck, and I agree there are probably infinity maybe better drop ins than Smok, so whether you rebuild or not (and I am urging you to try it) it's sometimes nice to know you have something reliable that won't leak on the go, so you could do both, get a better atomizer AND try some rebuildable ones. I have lots of RTAs I like, but I still really enjoy and get plenty of use out of some drop in coil types and I am glad I didn't limit myself to one or the other and etc.

Anna
Thank you this is a big help!

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Building your own coils will be a lot cheaper any way you look at it. RBA clones these days are generally fine and are usually fairly faithful to the original that costs much more. Once you know what design you like, you might want to buy an authentic tank. For 25 bucks you can buy a couple of rolls of wire and a box of Rayon coil from Sally's Beauty Supply and that will last you a year or more. 24ga, 26ga, and 28ga are the most popular wire gauges for building. SS316L is a popular wire because it works in wattage or temperature control mode.

I have a Coilmaster kit, but I generally use a stepped mandrel to wind my coils quickly and accurately. For starters you can use a nail in the right size to wrap your coils. Eventually, you might want to try a Coilmaster kit or pick up a stepped mandrel for less money.

Last edited:

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
I use Eleaf coils in my Smok tanks. They are a little less expensive. They last me longer, and I have gotten zero defective coils. I use the HW1 in my BB and BBB. I do not know if some orhers fit the Cloud Beast but I suspect so. I have two rda's a Dead Rabbit ( very forgiving build) and a Bambino ( tiny deck great flavor). Both authentic very inexpensive at my B&M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread