Looks alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tym64

Jul 30, 2017
Walked into my local vape shop, wanted a new mod, saw it, and simply could not help myself. Its the smok 220 tc Iron Man edition. Red with yellow trim. Has the matching baby beast with red. I bought it blind, no reviews, did not go in looking for this or that mod.

Never have bought something based just on the looks, and I am SO glad it did not bite me in the ..... Love the looks, the feel of it. Not real super crazy about the dual batteries, but we will see. reviews seems to mostly be positive.

Yes, I could of saved 20 bucks buying it online, but imho, we dont need another reason for small shops to close down, didn't we learn our lesson from wal mart?? So mostly try and buy from local dealers, yes, Its more expensive, but if it keeps a shop open, and local's employed, its worth it to me.

So ever buy a mod just because it looked cool?? How did it work out?? Was it a winner, or just something that ended up looking cool on a shelf???

I take all the smok "hate" with a grain of salt. No way of knowing if the complaints are legit, if they bought a "smok" or a clone from some internet site. No way of knowing if the "issues" were not user error, or mis handling. As most others, I have a back up mod just in case.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yes, almost four years ago, I bought a mod just because it looked cool. I had serious doubts about it and thought there was a good chance it would end up as a decorative conversation piece. Instead, it quickly became my most-used device and quite a few similar ones joined it, while the gear I was vaping previously ended up falling into disuse.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
Pretty much every mod i've bought because of the looks (or gimmicks) has ended up having issues. To quantify this i generally go for the 'on sale' or budget type devices. They all live in my 'box of shame' in the loft next to the Boge cartos, knock-off clearomisers, rolls of titanium and nickel wire - you get the idea.
The only exceptions are the Eleaf Aster and the..... well the Eleaf Aster.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I have bought one mod for looks alone, but it hasn't arrived yet. However, kudos for supporting your local vape shop, and I'm glad you like the setup. I hope I will be able to say the same. It was something of an impulse purchase, as it looked so awesome (to me). Give me great looks AND high performance and I am a happy camper!

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's for your enjoyment and it's your money. Nothing wrong at all with looks being important. I've passed on stuff that had good performance and high satisfaction among other users but passed because I just plain hated how it looked. Given we use these things everyday we don't have to get something that every time we look at it we're feel the need to look away.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
Walked into my local vape shop, wanted a new mod, saw it, and simply could not help myself. Its the Smok 220 tc Iron Man edition. Red with yellow trim. Has the matching baby beast with red. I bought it blind, no reviews, did not go in looking for this or that mod.

Never have bought something based just on the looks, and I am SO glad it did not bite me in the ..... Love the looks, the feel of it. Not real super crazy about the dual batteries, but we will see. Reviews seems to mostly be positive.

Yes, I could of saved 20 bucks buying it online, but imho, we dont need another reason for small shops to close down, didn't we learn our lesson from wal mart?? So mostly try and buy from local dealers, yes, Its more expensive, but if it keeps a shop open, and local's employed, its worth it to me.

So ever buy a mod just because it looked cool?? How did it work out?? Was it a winner, or just something that ended up looking cool on a shelf???

I take all the smok "hate" with a grain of salt. No way of knowing if the complaints are legit, if they bought a "smok" or a clone from some internet site. No way of knowing if the "issues" were not user error, or mis handling. As most others, I have a back up mod just in case.

I bought an alien because it looked cool. Same with the fuchai 213.

The alien isn't bad, the problem is that smoktech let's a lot of broken mods into circulation, and it's like they don't t care.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I take all the smok "hate" with a grain of salt. No way of knowing if the complaints are legit, if they bought a "smok" or a clone from some internet site. No way of knowing if the "issues" were not user error, or mis handling.
If this logic were true, wouldn't we also be seeing some negative fallback from other mod manufacturer products, too. I've not seen that. Why is it that SMOK seems to be getting all the negative feedback? Maybe it is well deserved?

It's for your enjoyment and it's your money. Nothing wrong at all with looks being important.
I agree with this, too. If you're comfortable spending your hard earned money on a SMOK product, more power to you. Just don't come here complaining after your new mod stops working.

the problem is that smoktech let's a lot of broken mods into circulation, and it's like they don't t care.
I agree. Smok seems to focus more on looks, shapes, colors than they do making mods that will work for an acceptable period of time. Smok also doesn't make it easy to return a defective mod.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
If this logic were true, wouldn't we also be seeing some fallback from other mod manufacturer products, too. Why is it that SMOK seems to be getting all the negative feedback? Maybe it is well deserved?

I agree with this, too. If you're comfortable spending your hard earned money on a SMOK product, more power to you. Just don't come here complaining after your new mod stops working.

I agree. Smok seems to focus more on looks, shapes, colors than they do making mods that will work for an acceptable period of time. Smok also doesn't make it easy to return a defective mod.

One time we tried to cut out the middle man for our smoktech products by buying direct, and we ordered about $3500 worth of hardware, and they didn't send us our hardware.

It took like two or three weeks to get a refund. It was ridiculous.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
One time we tried to cut out the middle man for our smoktech products by buying direct, and we ordered about $3500 worth of hardware, and they didn't send us our hardware.

It took like two or three weeks to get a refund. It was ridiculous.
Our franchise owner hated dealing with SMOK. He bought all the gear for about a dozen shops across three states. As salespeople, we could expect at least a third of all smok mods to become defective and be returned. SMOK often wouldn't compensate us for the returned defective products, so we had to absorb the loss. Eventually our francise stopped dealing with SMOK altogether, and I for one was quite pleased.

@tym64 I sincerely hope that you enjoy your new Smok. Good luck. ;)

Last edited:

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
Our franchise owner hated dealing with SMOK. He bought all the gear for about a dozen shops across three states. As a salesperson, I could expect at least a third of all smok mods to become defective and be returned. SMOK often wouldn't compensate us for the defective products. Eventually our francise stopped dealing with SMOK altogether and I for one was quite pleased.

Yup. We used SinoCig, EC supply, and Zee wholesale for our distros. They had the account sizes to get that stuff done, so we just made sure that they handled it.

At one point we had a 90% return rate on the TFV4.

I used to repair circuit boards and fix various mod issues at the shop, and I fixed a ton of aliens.

edit: I worked alongside the logistics manager a lot. He was my roommate at the time, too, so he .....ed a lot to me about the supply chain he had to deal with.

I also worked in the warehouse from time to time.

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
I bought a Joye Elitar because I like the pipe design. The Cubis tank that comes with it is junk, so I put a Buddha mini on and it's been my daily driver for months now. It will occasionally read "no atomizer" andnot fire, but not often enough to be more than a minor distraction.
I also, just last night, unboxed my blackout Pico and put my Derringer on it, because I wanted that setup to be all black, too.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
I bought a Joye Elitar because I like the pipe design. The Cubis tank that comes with it is junk, so I put a Buddha mini on and it's been my daily driver for months now. It will occasionally read "no atomizer" andnot fire, but not often enough to be more than a minor distraction.
I also, just last night, unboxed my blackout Pico and put my Derringer on it, because I wanted that setup to be all black, too.

Nice. Got pics? I'd like to see that setup

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Nice. Got pics? I'd like to see that setup
Way ahead of ya :D. I just had to switch to my phone.
20180217_124712-979x1305.jpg

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
Way ahead of ya :D. I just had to switch to my phone.
View attachment 722213
Sweet. Ive always liked the pico. Never wanted one myself because it doesn't have enough power to run how I like to vape, buy they're sweet little mods.

I almost bought one of the elitars myself ages ago. lol. Still might, just because fun.
once in a while I run my old patriot on a tube. it sucks now, but it's just fun to mess with lol

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
So ever buy a mod just because it looked cool??

Short answer would be no. But looks go right along with fit and feel. And ease of hitting the fire button/bar.

How did it work out??

I'm happy with all 16 mods I've purchased, all but one still working well. But every one of them has something I would like to "be better." The closest I have to a regret is my Kaos (dim screen and very little menu control/adjustment), but am fine with it as my "beater."

Since fit and feel are important to me, I usually buy from my shop since I can hold them there. I've also seen pictures of mods online that I didn't care for the looks of, but seeing/holding it in the shop looked quite a bit better.....enough so I ended up buying it. But I admit to also checking them out at the shop, then buying online if the deals are there.

WOW! In the time it took to type a response that avoids the SMOK hate/love opinions, another satisfied Smok user gets shot down! :facepalm:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
So many squonks lol.

Also, how's that drop treating you? I'm running mine on my NATO right n
It's a great atty for what it is. I use it very rarely. I prefer single coil attys that are more suited for squonkers. The drop gets away with it but it's not ideal for squonkers. High coils, long wicks.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread