Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I keep my batteries in a couple of racks made from lengths of 2 X 2 vinyl trim with holes drilled in them. One for flat tops and one for button tops. They sit on the back of my computer desk next to the charger. Ones that are ready to be charged just sit at the front of the desk.

I had 4 button top batteries. One in a mod and the other 3 in the rack waiting their turn. A few days ago I noticed there were only 2 in the rack. No idea how long the other one has been missing. It's driving me crazy. My desk is a bit crowded and there's lots of stuff on the floor under it. And a chest of drawers at the side with a printer on top and the drawers full of junk. Two very crowded shelves on the wall above the desk. The battery could be anywhere.

I remember a few weeks ago our 4 year old GGD was coming round for the day and I was going out somewhere. I remember putting a battery or two up on a high shelf so she couldn't pick one up. Can't remember if I retrieved them.

So that battery could be anywhere. Could be on the floor. Could have fallen in a drawer or be on a shelf. Could have rolled over to the wife's side which is even more crowded than my side. It could have fallen in the trash bin and be gone. I don't care about losing the battery, but now I keep thinking about how it could be lying in a tub full of odds and ends, or in a drawer full of office supplies or whatever just waiting for a chance to connect up with an old key ring or a couple of screwdrivers and burn my house down.

Planning to spend some time searching today. I wonder how long it would take for a battery to run down far enough that it isn't dangerous? Given that it was most likely waiting to be charged when it got lost.

Anyone here ever lost a battery?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Never lost a battery but my reading glasses have legs of their own. As far as "safe" discharge, do you mean the slow drop in voltage when sitting unused? A long time, probably up to a year if it was fully charged when it disappeared. But that still doesn't make them "safe".

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I keep my batteries in a couple of racks made from lengths of 2 X 2 vinyl trim with holes drilled in them. One for flat tops and one for button tops. They sit on the back of my computer desk next to the charger. Ones that are ready to be charged just sit at the front of the desk.

I had 4 button top batteries. One in a mod and the other 3 in the rack waiting their turn. A few days ago I noticed there were only 2 in the rack. No idea how long the other one has been missing. It's driving me crazy. My desk is a bit crowded and there's lots of stuff on the floor under it. And a chest of drawers at the side with a printer on top and the drawers full of junk. Two very crowded shelves on the wall above the desk. The battery could be anywhere.

I remember a few weeks ago our 4 year old GGD was coming round for the day and I was going out somewhere. I remember putting a battery or two up on a high shelf so she couldn't pick one up. Can't remember if I retrieved them.

So that battery could be anywhere. Could be on the floor. Could have fallen in a drawer or be on a shelf. Could have rolled over to the wife's side which is even more crowded than my side. It could have fallen in the trash bin and be gone. I don't care about losing the battery, but now I keep thinking about how it could be lying in a tub full of odds and ends, or in a drawer full of office supplies or whatever just waiting for a chance to connect up with an old key ring or a couple of screwdrivers and burn my house down.

Planning to spend some time searching today. I wonder how long it would take for a battery to run down far enough that it isn't dangerous? Given that it was most likely waiting to be charged when it got lost.

Anyone here ever lost a battery?
I keep all my batteries in cases if they are not charging or in a mod... Time to do some house cleaning. I don't think it would be considered "safe" for quite some time.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I've had batteries that were misplaced and found a couple years later, still showing 3.4+ volts. Waiting it out may not ease your mind.

I'd restart the hunt at the highest spots and work down. Less moving of heavier stuff and if it happens to roll and fall while you're digging it won't get overlooked. Good luck!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That's unfortunate, and yeah, they really aren't ever "safe" even if discharged, depending on where they end up and for how long.

I'd agree on starting high and then searching low. Ordinarily I'd suggest a shop vac, but I'm thinking you really don't want to suck a battery into a shop vac. You may have to do some judicious sweeping and moving stuff, unfortunately. But I agree you aren't going to be feeling all thrilled or comfortable if you don't find it.

Any chance it could have gotten carried off either by the kiddo, a pet, or anything else? If a really thorough sweep of the area doesn't do the trick, I'd probably contact your sis and have her ask the kiddo if she saw/collected a battery. In all likelihood she didn't and that's probably a phone call I wouldn't enjoy making, but I might do so for your own peace of mind and for the kiddo's sake. I swear, they can get into almost ANYTHING, and unfortunately, you are better off with the mom doing a search/question too, in case the kiddo got their hands on something. I'm doubtful (highly) but it might be a call I might make, if you don't locate it in your study.

All the best of luck in finding it!

Anna

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Did you know that button top batteries will fit in a Pico? If it's a Pico with some oddball juice on top that you only hit occasionally you might not realise for quite a long time. I think what might of happened was, while I was changing batteries I was listening to Trump on the TV, so my brain tried to protect itself by going into standby mode.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Did you know that button top batteries will fit in a Pico? If it's a Pico with some oddball juice on top that you only hit occasionally you might not realise for quite a long time. I think what might of happened was, while I was changing batteries I was listening to Trump on the TV, so my brain tried to protect itself by going into standby mode.
Congratulations on solving the mystery!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I used to have the same reaction whenever Obama began to speak, my sympathies.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Glad you located. That would be a load off...

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Glad you located. That would be a load off...

It's something that never occurred to me before. Losing a battery could be a big deal. Just having one drop off the desk without me noticing and landing in the wrong place. I know not to put them in my pocket, but losing one could be just as bad. And if I hadn't found this one I might have been worrying for a long time instead of a few days. I'm sure I'll be a lot more careful with them in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread