Love my 510!! Got some questions tho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my 510 about a week ago, and I absolutely love it! :D And, I love the manual batteries, even though I really didn't think I was gonna like them at all! I haven't started a fire or burned up any attys or anything! :p

Anyway, I have a few questions....

I have 3 attys and the bridge/wick seems to be off center on all of them. Is this normal? Should I try to straighten it somehow or is it off center for a reason? :confused:

I ordered some DSE901 carts because I thought I read somewhere that they would fit the 510 and I wanted to try the different tip (cigarello flatter type), but now I can't find where I read that. Do they fit the 510?

Sometimes when I really get this thing cookin', it leaks where the battery and atty connect. I haven't been able to figure out if its juice or condensation from the atty getting so hot. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to adversely affect the performance at all. It's just a pain when all of a sudden I realize my hand is all wet. 8-o

Should I clean my attys regularly or just wait until a problem develops? I've been rotating 2 for a week of heavy use and everything seems to be working just fine, so don't know if I need to do "preventive maintenance" to keep it that way or just wait and clean them if a problem develops?

Can anybody post pictures of the coffee filter filler technique? I don't really understand what you're using and how you're doing it. I'm gonna need to replace some of these cart fillers soon. If I go with stuffing, do I use the same stuff I did in my 402...like pillow stuffing? Does anybody use the coffe filter AND the straw mod together? I'm using a straw in my carts and it works well, but the stuffing is getting pretty yukky and time for a change.

I ordered a PCC but didn't get it yet. Is it okay to put the 510 in the PCC after each use, before the battery is dead? so that by doing that I would effectively have a fully charged battery with each use? If the batteries have no memory, it would seem that would be safe to do but want to check so I don't mess anything up. :rolleyes:

I feel so lucky that all my equipment works so well (knock on wood!) and I haven't had an analog in 5 days!! Woohoo!!! I just can't believe it myself! I didn't really even try...it just happened! :lol:

Thanks for all your help and encouragement! I need to get one of those tickers for my signature line...how do I do that?

Oh, Razors/Ribbons...one more thing, I wanted to ask you (or anyone else who knows), I think you mentioned a juice called Heavy Shag in one of your posts. You said it wasn't sweet tasting. Can you tell me where to get that? Thanks again!

viachy

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Sofia, Bulgaria
2nd day with my new 510 :)

I would love to see the answers of your questions.

My atomisers are tilt as well :(
I posted a request in another thread - If an experienced 510 user can make a Video for Tips & Maintenance guide will be great.

Coffee & Tea filters is the one that I wanna see the most as I tried with some teabags but I did not use a Lipton one so proably that was the problem it seems like there are different types of teabags...

luvmyvapor

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Texas, USA
Got my 510 about a week ago, and I absolutely love it! :D And, I love the manual batteries, even though I really didn't think I was gonna like them at all! I haven't started a fire or burned up any attys or anything! :p

Anyway, I have a few questions....

I have 3 attys and the bridge/wick seems to be off center on all of them. Is this normal? Should I try to straighten it somehow or is it off center for a reason? :confused:

I looked and mine are off center, but it doesn't affect the quality. Don't mess with them or you are likely to break them.

I ordered some DSE901 carts because I thought I read somewhere that they would fit the 510 and I wanted to try the different tip (cigarello flatter type), but now I can't find where I read that. Do they fit the 510?
Yes they fit.

Sometimes when I really get this thing cookin', it leaks where the battery and atty connect. I haven't been able to figure out if its juice or condensation from the atty getting so hot. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to adversely affect the performance at all. It's just a pain when all of a sudden I realize my hand is all wet. 8-o
Usually when mine leaks, it is condensation from the vaporization. I pull the mouthpiece and wipe it off with a tissue. The other reason it leaks is overfilling the cartridge.

Should I clean my attys regularly or just wait until a problem develops? I've been rotating 2 for a week of heavy use and everything seems to be working just fine, so don't know if I need to do "preventive maintenance" to keep it that way or just wait and clean them if a problem develops?
I didn't clean mine at first but once I got the hang of it, no problems and the atomizers worked like new. I would suggest you clean them on a regular basis or when the vapor starts to get weak. If you wait too long to clean them they get gunked up and can't be saved.
Can anybody post pictures of the coffee filter filler technique? I don't really understand what you're using and how you're doing it. I'm gonna need to replace some of these cart fillers soon. If I go with stuffing, do I use the same stuff I did in my 402...like pillow stuffing? Does anybody use the coffe filter AND the straw mod together? I'm using a straw in my carts and it works well, but the stuffing is getting pretty yukky and time for a change.
The straw might be letting too much liquid wick into the atomizer, hence the leaking. Each vaper has their own technique and you will need to experiment on which works for you. Personally I wash the filler material and have enough blank carts where I can pull the filling if I need it. Many people use Fluval, a fish tank filter material. I can't answer questions about other cart fillers though.
I ordered a PCC but didn't get it yet. Is it okay to put the 510 in the PCC after each use, before the battery is dead? so that by doing that I would effectively have a fully charged battery with each use? If the batteries have no memory, it would seem that would be safe to do but want to check so I don't mess anything up. :rolleyes:
As for charging batteries - they like frequent charges rather than a complete discharge before recharge.

I feel so lucky that all my equipment works so well (knock on wood!) and I haven't had an analog in 5 days!! Woohoo!!! I just can't believe it myself! I didn't really even try...it just happened! :lol:

Thanks for all your help and encouragement! I need to get one of those tickers for my signature line...how do I do that?
Click on one and it should take you to the site and you can create your own.

Oh, Razors/Ribbons...one more thing, I wanted to ask you (or anyone else who knows), I think you mentioned a juice called Heavy Shag in one of your posts. You said it wasn't sweet tasting. Can you tell me where to get that? Thanks again!
I think you can try JantyUSA for that. I'm not sure what Heavy Shag equates too but there are lots of juice reviews on the forum you can check out.

Hope my answers help you out a little :D Happy vaping!

Thanks Luvmyvapor! How do you clean your attys? By just blowing them out and/or draining or do you actually clean them with boiling water or alcohol or something?

This leaking is really getting old fast. I marked the attys so I could tell them apart and it's one particular atty that does it all the time. I thought it might be condensation but now I'm sure it's juice because it's a bit sticky on my hands and it smells.

The weird thing is...that is the atty/battery combo that works the best and that I get the warmest, biggest vapor and throat hit from. :mad: Wonder why that is? :confused:

wegster

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 10, 2009
    NC
    @Speedi
    The 901 carts are roughly half the size of the 510 carts. If you want a 'whistle tip,' the J118/VX2 carts will fit (gently, manually, not 'until in all the way), or just the mouthpiece (not cart) from the J118 will fit into the end of the 510 mouthpiece if you pop the disk out of the end of the 510.

Shouldn't be any issue on the PCC constant battery top-offs, or not a significant one/worth worrying about.

Cleaning, new can of worms. I clean mine in some fashion weekly, others 'drain' them overnight only, others do nothing. Different strokes for different folks..some will dry burn to try to cook off residue, others only clean attys for flavor/liquid changes.

Changing the airflow (straw mod or hole in side or end of inner cart) may well depend on the thickness of the liquid being used, or affected by it. Only leakage I've gotten is due to grossly overfilling, or a hole in the cart with really thin liquid like JC.

Thanks Wegster! Where would I find J118 carts? I got the 901 carts and tried them and love the whistle tip, but they are smaller and I don't seem to get quite the same throat hit from them, but it could be that they're prefilled and that particular juice may not produce as much hit. Haven't refilled any yet with my own juice.

So far I'm not that impressed with my PCC. There were no charging instructions that came with it so I charged it for 8 hours and then tried using it. Batts that I've charged on it don't seem to hold a charge for very long before they need recharged, like maybe 15 minutes or so, which is really bad even by 510 battery standards. :nah: And they weren't even dead when I put them in the PCC, used maybe for 10 minutes.

Anyway, I recharged the PCC overnight (12 hours) last night even though the indicator lights didn't show it was dead. We'll see if that helps at all. If it's not gonna give me better battery life than 15 minutes, I'll be sending it back and buying another battery and charger so I can have 4 fully charged and in rotation at any given time.

Paradiso

ECF Veteran
    Apr 19, 2009
    MA - USA
    I've settled into Fluval and the straw mod on 510 and 901 carts. For now, its working well for me. I use both cart types on my 510 and they both seem to work well.
    For me, leaking happened because I was overfilling the carts. I've stopped trying to get the absolute most juice I can into the carts and the leaking issue is gone for now. (NicJuice in the mouth is seriously YUCK!)

I have started using coffee filter or tea bags for my cart fillers and I think they work better at 1st and definitely taste better than the poly fill. They seem to need more topping off but I usually top off my juice every time I pick it up to start with. I think coffee filters seem to work a tad better than the tea bags imo. Everyone has their own techniques but the idea is that you want a semi loose fitting filler to hold the juice in the cart. If packed too tight it wont soak up any juice. If packed too loose it will leak and possibly flood your atty. My advice is to just play with it and adapt your own technique but just to start you off heres what I do.

to start off you basically want a rectangle of material (tea bag or coffee filter) 2 inches wide by 5 inches long. Fold it in half longways so you have a 1 inch wide by 5 inch wide piece now doubled over. Start at an end and roll it up so its full and soft. You can use a toothpick or the ink cartridge of a ball point pen to get you started if needed. You don't want it tight like a sucker stick but you don't want it too loose either. Keep in mind your using this to absorb the liquid so think soft and pillowy...lol. Roll it up until you think you have enough to fit snugly into the cartridge and trim the excess off of the "un rolled" part, usually 1-2 inches and slide it into the cartrigde. Now take some scissors and trim the excess hanging out of the end of the cartridge flush or slighty shorter than the end of the cart.

Filler' up and vape away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread