Low wattage flavor issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFatBoyLo

Mar 25, 2015
Hamilton Ohio
I keep seeing people post "I'm all about flavor, I don't need to go over 20 watts, or sub ohm or Drip" I have found by asking, sampling different Mods and Aty's and Dripper's. That the e juice you are vaping has a unlock point for max flavor. Some premium juice requires a Drip Mod. Most unlock between 21w-30w in my Delta II Aty. Am I missing something. Or am I correct? Some juice needs what it needs or you can't taste the true full spectrum of the flavor your vaping???

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
This comes down to taste being subjective. What you find really pops at 30 watts in an RDA, I might find pops at 8 watts in my disposable 510. Is like menthol I like small amounts of menthol in fruit flavored juices and a friend of mine used heavy menthol in everything she vapes. While I wouldn't taste anything but the menthol at her levels, she can still pick up every flavor in the juice.

Reactions: taotoo

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
I keep seeing people post "I'm all about flavor, I don't need to go over 20 watts, or sub ohm or Drip" I have found by asking, sampling different Mods and Aty's and Dripper's. That the e juice you are Vaping has a unlock point for max flavor. Some premium juice requires a Drip Mod. Most unlock between 21w-30w in my Delta II Aty. Am I missing something. Or am I correct? Some juice needs what it needs or you can't taste the true full spectrum of the flavor your Vaping???

@TFatBoyLo - Congrats and best wishes on starting your vaping journey. With your indulgence, permit me to take Nancy's great thoughts and expound.

It can be very challenging for new members/vapers of ECF to understand the "Vaping Universe". EVERYTHING is subjective. What's most important and reality is what works for YOU and NOT me so you don't smoke those nasty cigs. The length of a thread and the number of posts is fun and enjoyable but not a real "metric" for the wide diversity in the Vaping Universe. Just because folks understandably and respectfully make a zillon posts about cloud chasing, sub OHM, high wattage, etc and how flamingoes flew around their house when they tried a given mod, topper, or a given flavor, its not a carved in stone and a must follow "rule" for you and so often is NOT and I repeat NOT indicative of how and what folks use to vape. Some examples:

- Millions of folks use those cigalikes + cart (closed systems), think Blu sold at Wallgreens and they are perfectly happy
- Some vapers enjoy flavorless juice. NO flavors, just PG/VG + NIC
- Some vapers are what we call "dual users" and still smoke regular combustable cigs but fewer of them since they started vaping
- Some people MUST have the latest and greatest gizmo and others stick with what works for them and have no intention of changing
- Some vendors create juice designed for a fuller and more nuanced flavor in a dripper (RDA) or a RTA. Others mix juice which is designed for any kind of topper.
- Some vapers love a given juice when it's fresh/new and others enjoy the same juice after it's steeped for say one month. Some flavors DUE change over time and some vapers can taste the change and others can not.
- For some, it's also a hobby along with THA (Tobacco Harm Reduction) so they love wrapping coils and wicking every day, building Mods, Mixing their own juice etc
- Along with what Nanacy said, it's important to remember that during the early stages of your vaping journey your "taste" for a given juice is likely to change so what you enjoy vaping today may taste like motor oil /lol two years down the road. This is normal and expected. Your taste buds and sense of smell are recovering to a normal state since smoking combustible cigs played havoc on your body
- Embrace this diversity (It's ALL good) and don't be reluctant to experiment as your budget permits.

Good luck and HTH

:)

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I keep seeing people post "I'm all about flavor, I don't need to go over 20 watts, or sub ohm or Drip" I have found by asking, sampling different Mods and Aty's and Dripper's. That the e juice you are Vaping has a unlock point for max flavor. Some premium juice requires a Drip Mod. Most unlock between 21w-30w in my Delta II Aty. Am I missing something. Or am I correct? Some juice needs what it needs or you can't taste the true full spectrum of the flavor your Vaping???

TFatBoyLo, you've already got some great responses here. I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts.

I can vape at anywhere between 8 - 50 watts and be reasonably happy. The hardware setups will be totally different though and an atty and setup that works well at 8 watts is not going to be anything like a setup that's good at 50 watts. A juice will also taste quite different through that power range and though those setups.

That's particularly true for flavor chasing. I also prefer flavor over vapor, but I also like higher power that gives me what I think of as the 'aggressiveness' of the vape experience. I like to get it done in two to three second drags of fairly warm vape. That combination can be tough to get.

My go-to RDA is a bottom fed Cyclone on a Reo Grand mechanical mod. The Cyclone is only 14mm in diameter which is a lot smaller than the typical 22mm RDAs out there. The small air chamber is similar the what you get in the Kayfun type RTAs and gives me the enhanced flavor those do. It also lets me use dual coils at lower resistance for about 35 watts. I really like that total experience though it does cut into the flavor a bit.

If I used slightly smaller air holes on the Cyclone, cut back the power a bit (higher resistance in this case) and inhaled slower I would get more flavor and a less aggressive vape.

I also make my own juices so I can modify the recipes for the devices and setups I use them in if I want to.

It's all about balancing the variables for me. Air chamber size, wire material and gauge, coil design, air flow, power and the juice recipe all come together to make the vape you end up with. This isn't rocket science, but it's more than just power :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread