Lung hit tips?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bssage

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
Iowa
To bring you up to speed on my vaping. I started in mid 09 and went 2+ years with out an analog np, Then kinda dropped it for bar hopping and I really dont know why. Kept vaping but only when smoking was prohibited.

I come back, and I have always been a mod ...... So pickin up where I left off. But now we got all the sub tanks and sub ohm mods, ect. I find myself in the odd position that my desire to be a mod ....., and my ability to vape these new powerful devices is leaving me,,,,,,,,unfulfilled. Worse yet I think TC or some form of that will be the future of vaping.

So today with my new MiniM and new Kanger subtank mini Ni coils. I begin to try lung hits. Doing pretty good for being at it less than an hour. I brings me back to a time in my misspent youth.

But I immediately noticed some differences in what works and what. More specifically I used to hit the button slightly before I would take a mouth hit. If I didnt it would cause me to cough. With lung hitting the opposite seems to be the only way, (Hit as I press).

I really want to get my brain around this. Is their any other "Lung Hit" tips anyone cares to share??

A problem I anticipate is I probably have $300 worth of 24mg juice laying about. So I suppose I will really be reliving my glory days.

Looking for lung hit tips?????

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
It's like learning how to inhale a cigarette, I guess, and everyone does it differently. I personally put the tip to my mouth, press fire, and only start inhaling about half a second later once the coil has ramped up (this depends on the coil build, I'm using twisted 24g). I then restrict the vapor as it goes past my tongue, and focus on drawing with my lungs. The flavor starts to really hit toward the end of the draw, and there's heaps of exhale flavor.

Biggest thing is that it should be comfortable. Compared to mouth-to-lung, it should actually be smoother, less throat hit. That seems strange if you've ever tried to lung hit a cigarette (we've all done it, right?) but that's how it is for me, at least. Start at a low wattage and move up gradually.

tBERGz

ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Seattle
I have noticed with the higher nicotine strength juices, lung hits can be extremely harsh. I tried to vape 18mg juice in an RDA, doing lung hits, and it was so harsh it turned me off of the lung hits for a bit. What I do now is cut down all my juices with pure VG, sacrificing some of the nicotine per mL amount. WAY SMOOTHER though.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When I started vaping I did mouth to lung exclusively like I did when I smoked. I slowly went up in power over the years and now I lung hit all the time.

Requirements for lung hits are; enough air flow so you can do it and enough power so you can get a vape with all the air you're moving through the atty.

My setups have either no heat up time or very little, less than a second. I hit the button when I start to draw. I just tried and can give it a second to start the draw, but I get no benefit from it and I don't cough either way. The same is true for me when I vape a mouth to lung setup. I don't always use nicotine and when I do it's 2 or 3 mg/ml. I occasionally vape a few drags of 5 mg for the TH and that doesn't make me cough either. A friend who smokes tried my mod the other day using a no-nic juice, did a small lung hit and coughed. I think coughing varies greatly between individuals.

That's all I can think of. Good luck with it :thumb:

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
When I first started vaping I was a mouth to lung vaper. When I got my iStick 50 I also got a Subtank Mini and tried doing mouth to lung hits with it. I absolutely hated the Subtank. I switched to using the Nautilus and it worked great for doing mouth to lung hits. I then started trying lung hits using the Nautilus. I opened the airflow control all the way and then put the drip tip loosely between my lips so that when I was drawing in, I was also drawing in extra air from the space between my lips and the drip tip. It only took about a day for me to get the hang of doing lung hits and now I do it exclusively.

This also meant that I had to drop my nicotine strength down to 6 mg. And now I can't really handle stronger nicotine strengths. I've tried some 12 mg juice and the higher nicotine levels just burns my throat too much.

jayscott

Verified Member
Sep 25, 2012
Amherst, Ma.
I'm on my second try with the subtank mini and it's going much better. I've been exclusively mtl hitting ecigs for a few years but never found something satisfying enough for when I'm drinking. First go around with lung hitting a subtank ended up with severe coughing and headrush with 6mg juice. This time I used a mellower juice also 6mg and it's going well. Currently doing 4-5 second inhales at 15 watts on the 1.2ohm coil, and 3 second half mouth half lung hits at 20 watts while drinking. Only been though one night at the bar but didn't smoke a single cig. Huge plus is the shorter hits at higher watts seems to not dehydrate me as much but still gets me the nicotine I need. Only been a few days so I'm still experimenting but there definitely is a learning curve, even for people who have been mtl hitting it for years.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
dont forget you are getting lots more nic intake so be mindful lots of people cut their MG in half. Theres no accounting for technique everyone kinda figures out what works for them and what you like today my change next week. please feel free to join the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on/667660-join-army-subasidal-tendencies.html you are exactly the kind of soldier we need to grow with our cause;-)

I think your lungs kinda get desensitized to direct in hale after a little while it just seems normal.

Sgt.Rock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2014
The Poconos
........put the drip tip loosely between my lips so that when I was drawing in, I was also drawing in extra air from the space between my lips and the drip tip. It only took about a day for me to get the hang of doing lung hits and now I do it exclusively.

This also meant that I had to drop my nicotine strength down to 6 mg. And now I can't really handle stronger nicotine strengths. I've tried some 12 mg juice and the higher nicotine levels just burns my throat too much.

Exactly how I did it..and still do it for the first hit of two of the day at times...and yes you will want to cut back the nic level depending on your device, your personal tolerances and desire.

dam718

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2012
Hawaii
I used a kayfun for a long time, pretty restrictive airflow, and did mouth to lung hits...

My first foray into direct lung hits was with a Doge V2 RDA with a .18 Ohm build on my Stingray X... GOOD LORD! Haha, That thing can put out some serious vapor!

I quickly learned that what I like is a warm vape, not HOT. The initial build I had on the Doge was HOT. So I stepped it down to a cooler .3 Ohm build and found it much more enjoyable. Also had to cut the airflow off quite a bit. To me the super wide open airflow mutes the flavor, so I restrict it enough to get a good lung hit AND good flavor with a warm delivery.

Didn't care much for dripping though, the flavor was great and the massive clouds were fun, but dripping all the time can get tedious.

I'm now using a Subtank Mini with a Ni200 Temp Control build on the RBA with my SXmini M Class. I have the AFC on the two hole setting, rather than the big slot. Tightens the draw up just enough that I still get the good flavor! I run it at 19J on the SXmini, and to me it's a fantastic vape. Still doing lung hits. I tried going back to my Kayfun, but now that I'm used to lung hits, I don't see myself going back to a mouth to lung.

Using 6mg Nic now, and getting plenty of nic. I probably need to look at stepping down to 3. I can get a bit jittery sometimes if I am chain vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread