Lungs not clearing up. Am I doing something wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Kearney, NE
Hello all! I was a menthol smoker for 20 years, and have been only vaping (no cigs) for 82 days now. I have noticed that I am feeling better overall but am still feeling heavy in the lungs and still having congestion associated with smoking. Is this normal? How long approx. should I expect it to take before my breathing improves? I have no medical issues, (IE: asthma, emphysema, etc...) I recall my lungs clearing out after a few weeks when I had quit before... Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks!

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
About 3 weeks in myself and Im still hacking up stuff.. BUT its not the same grey/brown color it used to be when I smoked cigs so Im thinking thats a good sign hehe.
It was getting better actually, but just a few days ago I had to get some juice at Circle K in an emergency and its got alot more PG than the 50/50 mix I had been vaping on since I started.. Seems it irritats my chest and throat more, and the last two days Ive been coughing up almost like I was still smoking (when I smoked I was spitting stuff out after nearly every drag so its not that bad)..

Damrin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Kearney, NE
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I started vaping the smoke shop pg juice, then tried vape shop 50/50 and decided I like that more, and now I make my own at 50/50. Now, in all fairness I have noticed that I stopped "clearing" my throat every 5 seconds, but I have not experienced that clean-out that comes with quitting... I will take you guys wonderful advice and give it time. Thanks!!

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Everything I read so far is right. Everyone is different. After 18 months of vapeing I would say for the next 8/12 months you're going to find things changing. Taste, smell, breathing, and other things. Some your going to say cool and others will be oh crap. Just when you think the changes are done it'll change some more. Your body needs time to get the toxic stuff out and time to heal. I've adjusted my nic level and pg/vg a couple times. Due to changes in me and changes in the way I vape. Just this month I've changed both due to my switching from cotton wick to rayon. But I will not go back for anything. I think the best advice is your on a path that will require change and adjustments. But it's a better path than you were on before. So hang in there and roll with it.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
Ive been hoping to start hacking up stuff, but still yet to happen. Guess Ill keep waiting, was a 30+ year smoker, youd think something would start coming up. Only been since May though, so we will see.

I haven't smoked a burning tobacco cigarette in 13 months and still nothing coming up. I don't know whether to be happy about it or concerned. When I smoked, I coughed up a lung every morning for about two hours and cleared my throat every time I spoke, all day long. That stopped after about 3 days of quitting. I was a ~45 year smoker. I don't know.

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Ive been hoping to start hacking up stuff, but still yet to happen. Guess Ill keep waiting, was a 30+ year smoker, youd think something would start coming up. Only been since May though, so we will see.

You know, some people never hack up crap... It comes up in minute amounts, exhaled or metabolized. By not smoking, you at least give your body a chance to repair itself and not just fight a defensive battle! Congratulations, in case no one told you!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Wow! Thanks for all the replies! I started vaping the smoke shop pg juice, then tried vape shop 50/50 and decided I like that more, and now I make my own at 50/50. Now, in all fairness I have noticed that I stopped "clearing" my throat every 5 seconds, but I have not experienced that clean-out that comes with quitting... I will take you guys wonderful advice and give it time. Thanks!!

I'm doing the clean-out thing for the 2nd time, and although this time I'm only cleaning out a month's worth instead of 39 years', it actually seems harder this time. I have asthma, and I find myself feeling breathless a lot more now than I did even as a smoker. I'm thinking it might be because of the summer humidity; down here in Atlanta, the humidity is just killing; when you walk from an air-conditioned place out into the heat and humidity, it feels a great deal like trying to breathe jello -- hot jello. So I'm trying to vape a higher nic level, less often, just to give my lungs as much of a break as I can. Also trying to not inhale, but keep the vapor in my throat and nose. Also, I had increased my VG level slightly due to dehydration, but I'm thinking I need to go back to the highest level of PG my current flavors can manage. I'm just starting to learn this DIY thing, so I'll have to work on it. I know it's really just a matter of time; before my illness in June and temporarily going back to smoking, I had made it just over 3 months, and my breathing was *much* better; I barely knew I had asthma at all, except for when I first wake up, but even then the wheezing was far less than when I was a regular smoker. Just hang tight; it really is just a matter of time, but everyone is different. :thumb:

Andria

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I never coughed up oysters! Just my sense of smell returned, which is good and bad and i taste food again, which is also good and bad!

Not wheezing is pretty nice. I smoked 40 a day for 30 years. I make my own juice at 50/50 normally, just because i like easy maths and it suits me.

When you can smell a lit cigarette from 40 yards, you're becoming the new, old you!

T

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
I think whether or not you cough up stuff from your lungs depends on HOW you smoked. After 53 yrs of smoking, I waited and waited to start the coughing and clearing process. Didn't happen, and I thought on why in the world would I skip this very important healing function.

There two things that might have contributed: 1. I was a "shallow" smoker. Very seldom inhaled deeply. Think on the old movie star's, Bette Davis, quick puffs and you got me. 2. In the middle of those 53 yrs. I played 25 yrs of quite a lot of tennis. 2-4 hrs, 3 to 4 days a week running around and panting on those courts will certainly help clear out whatever is in your lungs.

I did catch a cold around Easter, nine months vaping, and coughed, put nothing came up. Fever and wiped out feeling for a week, and another week not up to par. Maybe it wasn't a cold, but this old bod adjusting. No way to know.

Anyway, it's been a yr. now and in another few mos. will turn the BIG "7" "0"! Ain't going to worry "boud" it one bit. :D......The knees tho may be cause for concern. :p

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
About 3 weeks in myself and Im still hacking up stuff.. BUT its not the same grey/brown color it used to be

Ahhh, the only down side to vaping. That heavy brown stuff weighs more so you could really get some good distance on a loogy. In a good wind, forget about it, you could spit one forever. A year into vaping, I got nothing. Its like we need ...... for spitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread