M402 vs Blu Cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

repus

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Bay City, Mi
This is to compare the Blue Cig from Electronic Cigarette by Blu E-Cigarette to the M402 from LITECIG USA I just recieved my Blu Cig yesterday and was excited to try it out, and compare it to a similar e-cig the m402, so I decided to post the results here for people in the market for a cheap super mini.

Price Comparison

The Blu Cig is 59.95 and comes with 1 atomizer, 2 batteries, recharging pack, 25 cartridges, usb and wall charger.

The M402 is 39.95 and comes with 1 atomizer, 2 batteries, 5 cartirdges, usb and wall charger.

As you can see the Blu comes with more carts, and a pack to recharge on the go, for 20.00 more. But it is just as easy to buy some e juice from litecigusa for 5.50 and match if not beat the amount of carts the blu comes with.

Cartridges

The Blu carts come in 5 flavors, and are advertised at 150 puffs per cartridge, which isnt true at all, you will get roughly 30-50 depending on user. The flavors are good, but most of it is left in cartridge after the it is not producing vapor any longer, so you are left wasting it. The carts are refillable, which is a plus, and I have found they create better vapor after refilled. If you want to buy new carts, it is 25.00 for 25, so 1 dollar each.

The M402 comes with 5 cartridges of tobacco flavor, which last roughly the same if not a little longer than the Blu carts out of the box. Refilling is easy with these, and you can also buy new carts from litecigusa prefilled. The e juice on this site is very good and well priced. Buying new carts on litecigusa is 4.25 for 5 so more expensive, but it is best to refill these, as you can get good vapor in any flavor you choose.

Sensitivity

This is the first issue I had with the Blu, it is way to sensitive, to the point of only being able to use indoors with no noise. I found that just opening the pack set off both batteries inside, any hits on the pack made them go off, even light air blowing on them. This caused alot of trouble and I found I had to disconnect the battery from the atomizer when in the pack just so it wouldnt waste the carts. This problem lead to poor battery life, and if you forget to disconnect the atomizer, the carts last even shorter periods of time.

The M402 has no trouble in this area, other then if your in a club with reallyloud music or driving in a convertible. You should have no trouble with it self hitting.

Battery Life

Blu- Anywhere from 40 mins to 1 hour 15 mins, depending on the sensitivity factor.

M402- Consistent with 1 hour of heavy use, or about 2 carts, depending on user.

Size

The Blu is a little shorter than the M402 however, the M402 has a little less diameter. The are close enough that this should not be a purchasing factor.

Vapor Production

Blu has nice vapor production when it wants too, however it is not as consistent as most would like. You can go from high amounts to almost none, without any explanation. I found myself going through 3 carts in an hour trying to figure out if that was the problem, and it wasnt. I think this can be a part of the high sensitivity of the unit, creating vapor when its in your pocket not when your using it.

M402
has very consistent vapor on a fully charged battery. And as expected it starts to produce less as time goes on. It does not fluctuate like the Blu.

Both units have the same amount of vapor when at top performance. However the Blu is easier to get a large amount of vapor from, when its working properly.

Overview

Blu
Positives-
Rechargable Pack, Size, Ease of Use, Vapor Production when working properly, Cheap replacement parts, cheap carts, refillable.
Negatives- Super sensitive, Non consistent vapor production, Short battery life, due to sensitivity, takes 2 weeks to recieve one.

M402

Positives- Size, Ease of Use, Vapor Production, Refillable, Takes about 3 days to get, good battery life for a super mini, consistent and reliable.
Negatives- No rechargable pack, doesnt come with a carrying case, only comes with 5 carts.

Ratings

For quick referencing here are some ratings out of *****.

1. Vapor Production- Blu *** due to consistency. M402 ****
  2. Battery Life- Blu *** without pack ***** with pack. M402 ****
  3. Price- Blu *****. M402 ****
  4. Ease of use- Blu ****. M402 *****
  5. Sensitivity- Blu **. M402 ****
Over all Blu gets 18 star out of 25. M402 gets 21 out of 25

In the end I would skip the Blu for now, until they get all the kinks worked out and just buy a M402 if your in the market for a supermini. When you purchase, just buy a flavor of e-juice for refills, a carrying case, and a car charger and you have a better version of the blu.

LockMD

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks for the review, I have a Blu on order too (whenever they decide to ship it)

You say the Blu is way too sensitive and inconsistent with vapor. My 402 was exactly the same way. It still is way too sensitive for me like you said with the Blu, I can gently blow on the tip and it will light up. General road noise (windows up) and radio on and it lights up. But the consistency has improved grately. I like the 402, just use it for home use only now.

SandHandle

May 30, 2009
I recieved my blu a few days ago, and I have to agree with the vapor production inconsistency. I'm not sure whether electric cigs are supposed to stop giving a throat hit after a few drags, but the blu does, and needs a bit of downtime before each hit to get a good amount of vapor production.

They also have a problem apparently with recharging instructions. The booklet says that the charger will turn off or turn the LED a different color, but what they don't tell you is that it actually flashes one color to another until it remains solid off/blue. Not a deal breaker, but a minor annoyance for those of us who are new to e-cigs. I am staring right now at the usb charger (which has been plugged in for almost two hours) still flashing red, then blue, then red again in seemingly random intervals.

The charging case that it comes with would probably be good if you had about two hours to spare waiting for the charge to finish, but it too flashes on and off until it supposedly remains off, letting you know it is finished charging (which I have yet to experience).

When it works, it works well, however, but it seems far to finicky for the new user starting from analogues (which work far more consistently and quickly atm). I haven't given up, however, and I plan on ordering some liquid and a syringe to inject the cartridges.

Does anyone know how to refill the cartriges? (or a better question: how to refill carts without unintentionally mixing flavors in the cart :confused:)

dpixel8

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2009
WI
I recieved my blu a few days ago, and I have to agree with the vapor production inconsistency. I'm not sure whether electric cigs are supposed to stop giving a throat hit after a few drags, but the blu does, and needs a bit of downtime before each hit to get a good amount of vapor production.

They also have a problem apparently with recharging instructions. The booklet says that the charger will turn off or turn the LED a different color, but what they don't tell you is that it actually flashes one color to another until it remains solid off/blue. Not a deal breaker, but a minor annoyance for those of us who are new to e-cigs. I am staring right now at the usb charger (which has been plugged in for almost two hours) still flashing red, then blue, then red again in seemingly random intervals.

The charging case that it comes with would probably be good if you had about two hours to spare waiting for the charge to finish, but it too flashes on and off until it supposedly remains off, letting you know it is finished charging (which I have yet to experience).

When it works, it works well, however, but it seems far to finicky for the new user starting from analogues (which work far more consistently and quickly atm). I haven't given up, however, and I plan on ordering some liquid and a syringe to inject the cartridges.

Does anyone know how to refill the cartriges? (or a better question: how to refill carts without unintentionally mixing flavors in the cart :confused:)

There is a whole forum for how-to's on just that subject, as well as making your own flavors (do at your own risk)

LockMD

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009

dpixel8's right there is lots of info out there - its far easier then I thought it would be. Drops vary per device but heres what I do on the 402 and it works pretty well for me.

1) pull mouthpiece off atty and push a paper clip up through the tiny hole to get at the cart.

2) gently remove stuffing rinse under sink - put it on a paper towel and dab it in diff spots until dry

3) put 6 drops in empty cart - replace stuffing gently and slowly - top off with 1-3 more drops until it pools

4) take paper clip and move stuffing around if the pool of juice doesnt absorb just dab the top of cart with paper towel

5) put cart back in mouthpiece - put mouthpiece back on atty and puff away.

works well and lasts a looooong time

SandHandle

May 30, 2009
well, I know that there are threads on this forum specifically for refilling/mixing flavors and whatnot, but I haven't seen any threads specifically dealing with the blu, so I was a bit confused. In any case, thanks for the advice, I was pretty much thinking the same thing, but I was going to take out the filling with tweezers (the paperclip thing sounds easier though :p)

dpixel8

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2009
WI
well, I know that there are threads on this forum specifically for refilling/mixing flavors and whatnot, but I haven't seen any threads specifically dealing with the blu, so I was a bit confused. In any case, thanks for the advice, I was pretty much thinking the same thing, but I was going to take out the filling with tweezers (the paperclip thing sounds easier though :p)

that's because the blu doesn't have much of a very good rep around here. :rolleyes:

repus

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2009
Bay City, Mi
after using the blu for ahwile longer, i have just given up on their cartridges, i have found that the foil/plastic in them cause the problem of vapor inconsistency. when I dip or drip on the blu it works very well and is an easy hit, which is nice but is also the reason for the negtive on the sensitivity.

if your using indoors, or on a calm day outside, dripping or dipping it will produce the best consistency.

SandHandle

May 30, 2009
I have since replaced thier stuffing with fluval - I'll let ya know how that goes after I've used it for a while.

please do :)
I just ordered some niquid from dietsmokes in the hopes that I can salvage this thing (I may just end up testing their "30 day money back" offer, but I have little hope for that). If not, I have some friends interested in entering the world of e-cigs, so I may just sell it to them and buy an m401.

LockMD

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
please do :)
I just ordered some niquid from dietsmokes in the hopes that I can salvage this thing (I may just end up testing their "30 day money back" offer, but I have little hope for that). If not, I have some friends interested in entering the world of e-cigs, so I may just sell it to them and buy an m401.

Still not impressed! :mad: Started to get that burnt taste, took apart and the cart still has juice in it! :mad:

I'll keep playing with it but for now, I'm just gonna leave this thing at home and will use it mainly for dripping. Maybe the fluval needs a couple uses to get broke in :confused: probably not my other devices that I replaced the orig stuffing with fluval are fine.

LockMD

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
so basicallly what everyone is saying is the blu not that great???

Yup and the stupid thing is I already had the VX2 and M402 before I even ordered blu. Oh well, live and learn. Thats how I usually am with new things constantly searching for something better but it looks like this time I did it right the first time ;)

I think, for now, I will just use blue for dripping/tasteing new mixes before filling the carts for the VX2 and M402 so its not a total loss. The 402 even though a tad longer then blu and with its red LED and with its girly smoke design on the batt WAY OUT PERFORMS BLU!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread