MA Gov. Patrick proposes 100% increase in OTP tax, 20% increase in cig tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
MA Gov. Deval Patrick proposes 20% increase in cigarette tax (from $2.51 to $3.01), 100% increase in OTP tax (from 90% to 180% of wholesale price for far less hazardous smokeless tobacco, and from 30% to 60% of wholesale price for cigar and smoking tobacco) if news article is correct.
http://www.telegram.com/article/20120126/NEWS/101269859/-1/NEWS07
http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0169.pdf

National Center for Public Policy Research's Jeff Stier criticizes MA Gov Patrick's tobacco tax hike proposal
http://www.talk1200.com/player/?station=WXKS-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=interviews.xml&mid=21787782

http://www.nationalcenter.org:80/PR-Mass_Taxes_012712.html

In letter to MA legislators, Americans for Tax Reform's Grover Norquist correctly criticizes Gov. Patrick's proposal for nation's highest smokeless tobacco tax: “Nicotine is addictive but it poses no serious health risks. Thus, the use of smokeless tobacco is proven to be a safer alternative to smoking,” and “Smokeless tobacco has similar nicotine levels as cigarettes but is 98 percent safer – smokeless tobacco poses no risk for emphysema, lung cancer or heart disease. Though there is still a risk for mouth cancer, it is significantly lower than smoking.”
Gov. Patrick, anti-tobacco lobby refute Norquist’s claims on taxes - BostonHerald.com

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Gov. Deval L. Patrick yesterday proposed a 2.98 percent increase in state spending in fiscal 2013, but the plan relies on a 50-cent per-pack hike in cigarette taxes, cuts to many social service programs, closure of a medium security prison and elimination of several hundred state jobs.

Looks to me as if the bulk of his tax plan is resting squarely on the shoulders of the poorest segment of society. Gouge the lower income brackets that buy the bulk of the tobacco products, cut social service programs, close a prison (no doubt transferring at lest some of those prisoners to more violent prisons)...and ... well, I can't speak to the state jobs he is thinking of. Do you believe it is state employees with 6- or 7-digit incomes? Or is it the clerks, janitors, and road crews?

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Just think how rich our gov's will be once they also include all other safer alternatives taxes in their incomes. My goodness, there's medicines, caffeine, sex, ..... oh gosh, those condoms are so going to skyrocket!! Save our government, use a condom!!! I'm in. Where do I go to vote for these safer alternative excessive taxes????

J/K!!!

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009

nansc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
New Hampshire
I have to jump in here because I live very close to the border of Mass. or as we call it taxachusetts.They already buy all their booze up here and cigarettes.They even have a limit on how many cartons of cigarettes you can buy in a lot of stores which is shocking to me because last time I looked they were $ 52.00 a carton.NH tried this and actually lost money because a lot of people quit.That's what they wanted right?A lot of people have just moved up here and travel to work down there because the wages are so much higher down there.
Are e cigs classified as a tobacco product now?

Bill Godshall

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
nansc inquired:

Are e cigs classified as a tobacco product now?

Not in MA.

At the federal level, thanks to Judge Leon, e-cigarettes are now considered tobacco products by the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, but the FDA hasn't proposed any regulations for e-cigarettes as tobacco products yet.

Several states (UT, CA, MN, NH, CO, TN) have banned e-cigarette sales to minors, and the language in some of those laws considers e-cigarettes to be tobacco or tobacco-like products.

nansc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
New Hampshire
nansc inquired:

Not in MA.

At the federal level, thanks to Judge Leon, e-cigarettes are now considered tobacco products by the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, but the FDA hasn't proposed any regulations for e-cigarettes as tobacco products yet.

Several states (UT, CA, MN, NH, CO, TN) have banned e-cigarette sales to minors, and the language in some of those laws considers e-cigarettes to be tobacco or tobacco-like products.
Thanks Bill I thought I had read something about the FDA was going to go for it so I wasn't sure.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Bill I thought I had read something about the FDA was going to go for it so I wasn't sure.
No, they are "fence sitters" in the case against e-cigs...that's their best position for now. Why?
1. If they take a definitive position against them, the fury of the research will be immense and then they will have to "pay" to regulate them- a huge burden.
2. If they claim they are safe after all, or at least not as harmful as real cigarettes, then Big Pharma, their bed-buddy will be upset with them and not give them sex or spending money for awhile- something the FDA seems addicted to.

So, by sitting on the fence, and claiming "there is a concern with e-cigs- there isn't enough research etc...." but not really taking a firm and grounded stand one way or another, they continue to appease their bed-buddy and allow the different Alphabet Soup clubs to push their propaganda around (ALA, AHA, etc)...so that these incestuous but wealthy groups (from soliciting the mislead contributors and the FDA from Big Pharma and your tax payer monies) remain happy and keeps all of us little ones without these benefits (unfortunately we have very few bed-buddies too) running in circles and trying to put out fires everywhere.

Whew...sorry, I got way far into it....but you get the idea... FDA is over tobacco but they are not taking responsibility for their position either- not yet- Well, not until they can figure out exactly how to proceed in their best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread