Macaveli V1 Switch Overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixsix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
Arizona
For some time, I've been unhappy with the switch on my SS Macaveli V1. Yes, it worked, but I felt that it wasn't as clean and smooth as it should be for a hybrid in this price range. Especially when compared to the beautiful switch on the Macaveli V2.

The problem was caused by a small gap between the button and the switch housing. This gap caused the button to 'wobble' in the switch and occasionally stick. It would even throw a small spark or two if you weren't careful. I've read and watched a handful of reviews explaining that these sparks are 'normal' and that they're just something that happens from time to time.

Nonsense. Visible sparks are sketchy and I'm not going to have them anywhere near my fingers.

I'm not sure if any other V1 owners have experienced similar issues, but this is what my button looked like:

TtXU7Eg.jpg

Notice the pitting around the edge of the button and inside of the switch housing. That's a direct result of tiny arcs while firing the device over time.

I contacted Mac directly and tried to order some replacement parts for my switch. He was super friendly, and told me that the parts were unavailable but he'd be able to get them for me "in the next couple of weeks." Waited a couple of weeks, contacted again, was told to wait "a few more days." Waited another week and contacted him again, this time there was no response. I understand people get busy and whatnot, but I'm not going to sit back and shoot lightning bolts out of my hybrid while I wait for Mac to respond to my messages.

Took my switch down to a local machine shop, and explained that I needed to tighten up the tolerance between the button and switch housing. Two hours and $20 later, this is the result:

voO3mjP.jpg

LJCD2lX.jpg

Nice and clean. The new button fits snugly in the housing with no side-to-side wobble whatsoever. Button throw is smooth as silk, with no arcing. The added bonus here is that the switch now makes a more complete connection, meaning more power at the coil(s).

If anyone else has been experiencing issues with their V1 switch button, I highly recommend looking into getting this done. It's made a huge improvement in the performance of the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread