Not open for further replies.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Kurt

We have experienced some "hot spots" but mostly in testing recently made samples. We learned from test results that VG requires some additional mixing to have accurate consistant results. So with that in mind we do periodically re-mix our nicotine batches to ensure that there is no separation. As of now I have not seen any separation since we started mixing longer.

I will remember to watch out for my significant digits. Thanks.

For a density test would you like to use specific gravity as a method to test for that? That could be done pretty easily.

Adam

Adam,
From your observations concerning hot spots with nic in 100% VG, do you feel this was from the initial mixing or separation/settling over time?

If there is a possibility of nic separation/settling in VG, could temperature could play a role? Some store their liquids in a cupboard while others use the fridge or freezer. Could this be a concern for the DIY crowd using 100mg in all VG? I have a habit of shaking anything I use but others may not.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I have been looking for an accurate way to test my juices for nicotine levels which brought me here with interest. I do have a few doubts and was curious if they could clarify how this works.

So if you take Nicotine which has a pH of 10.2 according to the document and then add distilled water to it, why is the water's pH not taken into consideration? Even if you did find out the water had a pH of 7.0 and did the test to find out how much 1 ml of water dropped the pH of the solution, you would then have to factor in the dye. Now even if you sorted that out how does the change in pH have anything to do with the level of nicotine in the solution? Now if I was to go real world and test a bottle of juice I received, what is the starting pH of VG/PG and how does it affect the overall pH level? Also what is the pH of the flavors added to the substance?

Very interested like I said because I have always wondered how accurate the nicotine level is in the juices I buy, thanks for any reply.

AFKing

Moved On
Apr 20, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Adam,
From your observations concerning hot spots with nic in 100% VG, do you feel this was from the initial mixing or separation/settling over time?

If there is a possibility of nic separation/settling in VG, could temperature could play a role? Some store their liquids in a cupboard while others use the fridge or freezer. Could this be a concern for the DIY crowd using 100mg in all VG? I have a habit of shaking anything I use but others may not.

AzPlumber

From what I have seen there has not been any separation after initially mixing. I feel that any hot spots are the result of not adequately mixing from the getgo. We do however store all of our nic in a commercial refrigerator. We are just trying to make sure we provide the freshest product possible. I would always advise shaking your eliquids, if it is already completely mixed together it can do no harm.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Thanks Adam, I diy in high VG and the thick viscosity of it makes mixing a challenge. I now use an electric hot plate with a sauce pan of water set at about 140 degrees. Just put the bottle of newly made e-liquid in the hot water for a few minutes and then shaking it up.

J808,
The basis for this test was developed by a Chemist. If you would like to read the history on it's development, head on over to the "Tips And Tricks / DIY E-Liquid" forum and check out the sticky's. (btw) It may not be accurate on liquids with flavorings but is accurate enough for liquids with just nic and pg/vg.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
J808,

pH is by definition an aqueous property. The pH of a nic solution takes into account the pH of pure water. I could go on, but any first-year college or AP chemistry text will explain it all...it does take some time to learn it though.

The acidities of VG and PG are not equal to that of water, but they are close. The difference of the pH of say 36 mg nic in VG and 36 mg nic in water would be in the places past the decimal. Important for my purposes, since I am trying to do this measurement very accurately, but not a big issue for a kit test. You are correct, though, the two solutions are not equal. So I generally do pH vs Vol HCl titration curves on an accurately diluted sample of the nic-liquid, and then work back to what the nic content is in the original sample. A bigger issue is using an indicator's color to gauge the equivalence point. Bromo-blue is a tough indicator to see in the first place for me (eyes not as good as when I was younger), and getting full curves is more accurate anyway. Also, the acid that is used is not generally standardized very accurately, since it is not really meant for titrations, rather its for other applications, like cleaning metals. Thus, it may say 0.12N, but it might actually be 0.11N or 0.13N, which is a big difference when titrations are being considered. My acid is 0.07051M HCl, rigorously standardized to 5 ppd.

So besides the uncertainty of titrating a straight nic-VG or nic-PG solution, the other factors I list also cut back on the precision of the kit. So you can really only say your result is about +/- 10-15% accurate with the kit. My method is accurate to 0.1 mg, in general, depending on how many titrations I do on a sample.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
If you sign up for their newsletter, they are doing a test of nic concentrations dependent on
storage, on a window sill, in a fridge, etc...how the concentration may change.
It's an ongoing study and WAY TO GO MADVAPES!!!
Are they still doing this study? It doesn't appear that they have updated their results since last November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread