Status
Not open for further replies.

KTK8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I am currently on the phone with my bank for being charged from a company Sq *loveli Design Llc Silver Spring Md. My card has be canceled and a new one is being issued. But please be warned when buying online from madvapes.

The Bank is saying the Sq means it was charged via a smartphone white box, and the card number was punched in, not swiped.

I am not mad at madvapes, I doubt it's something the company is doing themselves. But I do think they need to look into this, since so many people are having this same problem after ordering from them. Bank also said it could be an employee there doing this.

I will be ordering from madvapes in the future I will just be using a PrePaid CC this time.

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
i'd like to point out as has been said multiple times in the past: Madvapes doesn't get your credit card number. In fact most online merchants do not - they use a processing gateway that sends them a notification you have paid. All they get is a transaction confirmation mail with the last 4 of your card number.

KTK8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2012
Northern Kentucky
I'm just saying that something strange is going on, and you have to see that. I know that I only ordered from Madvapes, and that same day I got charged from a fake company in MD, which at least one other person has said theirs was from MD as well.

Something is up, and I'm not saying Madvapes is responsible, maybe it's this processing gateway you speak of, but someone is taking advantage of their customers. I'd like to think you would care about that.

oldsoldier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
without trying to talk down to people or providing links and information that could be used for illicit purposes I can state categorically:
1. You can be defrauded online without ever having used your card (physically or online). I know this from personal experience.

2. Processing gateways can indeed be hacked. As can the credit card companies themselves. see here: 1.5million account numbers hacked after Visa and Mastercard card data theft | Mail Online . The whole process is "trust based" between the banks and the processors.

3. You Card may have been compromised locally or by a larger identity theft ring, they buy and trade card numbers in their own little (well big) cottage industry. A card number may float around in limbo for a fair amount of time before it is finally used illegally, or it may be used immediately -- both have been known to happen.

4. Regardless of how your card got compromised, as a consumer it is prudent of you to keep track of your card and report any unauthorized transactions.

5. +1 for the prepaid or onetime use numbers that some credit card companies offer. I have been an advocate of using this technique for quite some time now and only shop online with a prepaid card.

I should probably get some of the mods and members that have worked in the banking Industry to add some additional research and input to put together a sticky rather than continue posting in this one thread. The information is important to all consumers, not just vapers.

oldsoldier

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
update:
Ive reached out to the forum suppliers for screenshots that show just what they see at their end. These screenshots are pre-sanitized when they come to me but clearly show that they don't get your full credit card number. I'll also mark them up for explanatory purposes and re-sanitize them to protect the suppliers that have come forward to show you just exactly what they see.

@ Madvapes: I apologize profusely for hijacking your thread. I just felt that this is something that needs to be more throughly explained. My hopes are that with some involvement from the ECF staff in explaining the situation we will recieve less complaints and that the community will learn more on how to protect themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread