• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Man dies after e-cigarette explodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Se/\/te/\/ced

Unresolved Status
Mar 14, 2014
Pakistan
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Too many newspapers took on a sensationalist stance and also reported or gave links to other accidents or negative opinions with or about e-cigs.
The best unbiased report I saw was The Telegraph, and they also gave links to positive reports:
Man killed after e-cigarette explodes into flames - Telegraph

A search for phone battery charging causing problems will also produce many instances, yet I don't recall hearing or seeing equal media coverage on those incidents despite some of them having serious consequences.

One thing I will say is that all battery chargers, e-cig or otherwise, should be clearly marked with the brand logo and specific model it's designed for.
One type does not suit all, and I suspect many people are totally unaware of that, nor able to match an unbranded one with a particular item correctly.

Se/\/te/\/ced

Unresolved Status
Mar 14, 2014
Pakistan
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have a brother in law who's on an oxygen concentrator and he used to lay down his oxygen harness and smoke right next to it. I bought him an eGo with cartomizers and taught him how to fill. He used that for a while and stuck it in a drawer. He finally quit smoking for the most part, but will light one up here and there while on oxygen.

What I saw in the article was that a battery blew up while charging. That could have been any Li-ion, LiMn, or NiMH battery. My phone has a 2200mah battery in it and it's not high drain, it's Li-ion.

He apparently wasn't vaping when the battery exploded, but his room was obviously at some level of oxygen concentration that allowed the fire to burst into consuming flames. It will be blamed on ecigs just because he was a vaper. Go figure.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
So, my take away is, be careful with bottled oxygen.

ETA: am I the only one who doesn't leave batteries charging unattended?

I'll watch TV while my batteries are charging, but If I'm the only one at home and I have to work in the yard, the charger is off. It's why I have eight 18650's charged up all the time.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
ETA: am I the only one who doesn't leave batteries charging unattended?
Far from it, I'm sure - but, you can also be sure that any such accidents will be pounced upon by the media and made a meal of!

I charge mine in the room I work in, and the last thing I do if I either go out or go to bed is make sure there are none plugged in, let alone actually charging.

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
I remember not long after i joined ecf reading a story on here where a guy had bought a mod, and the battery for it, then taken an extra battery with him to work or wherever he was off to. Unfortunately, he put the spare battery in his back pack loose - not in a plastic case or anything, just in the bag. It exploded, but as it was an AW IMR it wasnt anything like as bad as it could have been.

The difference between ecigs and laptops / mobile phones, etc is that none of us charge our phone / laptop batteries externally, we dont carry around spares for laptops / phones as its just not necessary. Ecigs require a little more safety awareness - When we charge our phone we tend to use the charger it came with (if you do use chargers that you bought cheap off a market stall then you are taking a risk) so we pretty much know its ok. With ecigs each kit / mod that we buy may or may not come with its own charger, even if its safe we may end up with a few that arent all compatible, but we also end up with mods where we have to charge our batteries seperately and may end up carrying spares around - thats where the problems start.

Considering how long ecigs have been going now and how popular they are, plus how stupid some people can be i think it's amazing that there havent been more accidents. Hopefully this is a sign that people are careful and that vendors are at least giving a mention to battery safety and making people aware of the potential dangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread