Status
Not open for further replies.

matador

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Colorado
hey mat i hope all is well with you and yours!!! any thing new from the garage yet???

Still workin on them. I've had a few setbacks, I do a little bit of work on the mods every day. Its been raining like crazy here and my basement got s little flooded, not too bad. Had to dig a trench through my yard to divert the water, working on a french drain today. The garage is soaking wet and got several big boxes of welding rod soaked, and ruined my atari and a few other boxes. Now I have a bunch of wet moldy boxes stinking up the place.

Besides that odd smell.....

;)

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Still workin on them. I've had a few setbacks, I do a little bit of work on the mods every day. Its been raining like crazy here and my basement got s little flooded, not too bad. Had to dig a trench through my yard to divert the water, working on a french drain today. The garage is soaking wet and got several big boxes of welding rod soaked, and ruined my atari and a few other boxes. Now I have a bunch of wet moldy boxes stinking up the place.

;)

Im working in CO Springs My job sight got flooded:( been off since Wed Looks like a little more rain tomorrow then it will start to dry up.

an old refrigerator with a 100 watt light bulb makes a great rod storage box

Last edited:

matador

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Colorado
Im working in CO Springs My job sight got flooded:( been off since Wed Looks like a little more rain tomorrow then it will start to dry up.

Buzz!! Hows it going man? The rain just wont quit. Hows things in the springs? Lots of flooding and damaged buildings up here and around Boulder and Ft. Collins. I think they said 4 or 5 people have died so far. Crazyness..

I will definitely get me an old fridge to turn into a rod storage. I've never had any rod get soaked like this before. I threw a sheet of OSB on some 4x4s and have the rod spread out on that for now to try to dry it out. Am I wasting my time or will this stuff still be usable when it dries out? Its over 100 lbs of rod, so I'd really hate to throw it out..

matador

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Colorado

Buzz!! Hows it going man? The rain just wont quit. Hows things in the springs? Lots of flooding and damaged buildings up here and around Boulder and Ft. Collins. I think they said 4 or 5 people have died so far. Crazyness..

I will definitely get me an old fridge to turn into a rod storage. I've never had any rod get soaked like this before. I threw a sheet of OSB on some 4x4s and have the rod spread out on that for now to try to dry it out. Am I wasting my time or will this stuff still be usable when it dries out? Its over 100 lbs of rod, so I'd really hate to throw it out..

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA

If the metal gets corrosion you will get blowouts as your welding you can try sticking it in the oven at 100-120 thats the temp of my portable rod oven for a couple of hours Then if your wife will let you;-)

Dry a batch then run a couple of rods and see is all you can do. I cant use rods that have been wet at work but thats cause Im welding stuff that if it fails could cause loss of life. Low hydrogen rods like 7018 or 8018 if there is moisture can cause your weld to crack but then if your using 6010 or 7014 they can cause you problems if they are to dry but to much moisture can cause you troubles also.

If your hard facing with 11018 its supposed to be not used after 30 minutes of exposure to the atmosphere.

Mostly just flash flooding not as bad as you guys got north of us but still no fun! Im free all weekend if you need a hand with anything shoot me a PM

matador

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Colorado
hey mat i talked to a few guys at work and they said dont ues the welding rods that got wet toss them out!!!

I will at least try it out once its dry and see how it works. The bottoms of the boxes of rod got so wet that some of the rods just fell apart. Its so much money worth of rod, I'd hate to waste it all. Once I can find an old fridge I'm going to follow Buzz's suggestion and build a rod oven for storage, and hopefully it helps to dry them out some.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I think your only hope is to oven dry the ones that are intact once the flux starts falling off they are ruined. At work and personal use have different standard. Its not worth a companys time to pay a welder to grinding out a weld if its spoiled buy a crappy rod. Also some things you can not take a chance with when welding in a industrial application.

Ive taken wet rods home salvaged a good part of them and had no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread