Status
Not open for further replies.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
Somehow most of my married batteries became divorced. I had a lot of 1 battery mods and the batteries left each other. Can I remarry them and mark them this time or are they no good as a pair anymore? I really can't afford more batteries and I'm using more duel battery mods now. Thanks for any help!

Dudeman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2009
New Bedford, MA
Are your batteries all around the same age with near the same number of charges on them?
Do you have a good battery charger?
Are you using a good mod? Preferably one that shows battery levels?
If you can answer yes to all of the above, no worries.

I have 6 batteries that were all used in single cell mods that are now used in a Topside dual. No problems. They drain at the same rates and charge the same. They now remain in pairs unless I drop 4 at a time and mix them up.

I DO need to get some new batts though as mine are around 2 years old.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
In addition to the questions in the above post, I'll ask: How hard do you use the batteries? If you're trying to pull something close to CDR from them, a good match is likely more critical than if you're only pulling a small fraction of CDR.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I DO need to get some new batts though as mine are around 2 years old.
I've got some VTC5s that are five years old now that still run well, so two years of age alone is not (IMO) a reason to replace cells.

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
If you're trying to pull something close to CDR from them, a good match is likely more critical than if you're only pulling a small fraction of CDR.
I have no clue what CDR is lol.
They're all good batteries and I have a good external charger. 1 pair doesn't charge the same, the rest charge in the same time as its pair. Should I just dedicate the pair that doesn't charge together and use them individually?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have no clue what CDR is lol.
They're all good batteries and I have a good external charger. 1 pair doesn't charge the same, the rest charge in the same time as its pair. Should I just dedicate the pair that doesn't charge together and use them individually?

CDR is the max voltage you can safely pull from the battery. Basically do you vape high watts or low watts?

The idea behind married batteries is to arrange batteries to wear out at about the same time. If your charger will measure total battery capacity and resistance you can measure them all and match like with like.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
One of the reasons for marrying cells is to match the batteries performance. With a regulated device, as the voltage in a cell depletes, the current draw increases. Should these voltages differ by a significant amount, for what ever reasons, then 1 cell will always be working harder than the other.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I've got some VTC5s that are five years old now that still run well, so two years of age alone is not (IMO) a reason to replace cells.
I still have a set of baby blue Samsung 25R in play. The age isn't the issue. Instead, it's the number of charge cycles. These aforementioned baby blues have only seen around 40 cycles as they've typically been paired with a mod I don't use quite as often.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Somehow most of my married batteries became divorced. I had a lot of 1 battery mods and the batteries left each other. Can I remarry them and mark them this time or are they no good as a pair anymore? I really can't afford more batteries and I'm using more duel battery mods now. Thanks for any help!

The best and safest way to judge whether batteries can be considered for matching is to buy them at the same time and mark them as pairs (1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc). If you've used them singly in different mods instead of keeping them in matched pairs, then you'd need a charger that measures internal resistance to determine condition. Cells that are close close or equal in IR are better candidates for pairing. Internal resistance rises over time and usage and affects the rate that the cells discharge.

The Zanflare C4 charger and the Opus 3100 or the 3400 will both measure and display internal resistance. Doing it the manual way is more accurate, but the chargers that measure I/R will give you a reasonably accurate number for comparison and matching.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I basically vape low I guess. Depending on the mod and atty I vape between 25 and 65.
That’s more medium to high than it is low. 65w on two batteries is a fairly solid draw. More on one battery, but we’re talking about dual batteries atm. Depending on what batteries got used with what battery marriage might be a concern then.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Ideally, you would get new batteries, but I get that may not be an option.

Can you get maybe 4 or 6 for your super high wattage needs, and then ONCE you decide to use for your lower wattage needs which pairs go together, well.... KEEP them together.

I'm so bad at battery marriage, I have come to decide that my brown LGs are all for two battery mods, and a few high wattage Samsungs I bought, inadvisably.

I keep all my green Samsungs that I have for a while (that aren't dead, anyway) for single battery mods. Since I tend to charge my married batteries together, they don't get divorced, and they remain my "Two battery mods."

You could do that with wraps, I guess, but I am lazy. I'm not so much a minister more a justice of the peace. Or, some chick with her marriage license from "The school of Breath and Lite, take our 40 dollar course and marry the hippies' type even.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread