Massive smokeless tobacco tax increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
While I'm ranting, is anyone seeing anywhere near the life expectancy they claim with the new light bulbs? They might outlast incandescent by a bit but certainly not by months.

How long they last seems to depend on how the socket is oriented and how well the socket is ventilated. In my experience, those bulbs which screw up into a vertical socket with poor air circulation (for instance, in a ceiling fixture with a glass cover) seem to fry their electronics quite quickly. They'll only last about twice as long as a standard incandescent. Those in some kinds of desk lamps where the socket can get quite hot, might last three times as long, plus burn out the socket and switch as a "bonus." Then you get to buy a whole new desk lamp, in addition to replacing the fried fluorescent bulb.

We use a lot of the fluorescent bulbs and have since they first appeared on the market. But there are still some applications where they're totally inappropriate, and I resent like hell the government forcing us to use them everywhere.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
When I worked at AT&T with Uverse tech support, if somebody called in with a wireless internet problem, the first thing we looked for was EMI, and that meant those types of light bulbs. I've saw EMI do some fun stuff while there. I.E., I had a guy who had almost constant picture freezing on 1 TV. Had him turn off all the lights in his house and it worked great. Turned them on one by one and found out the halogen lights over the kitchen sink were the culprits that made the picture freeze when they were turned on. Turned them back off, started working again. The coax cable for the living room was probably run along the attic floor right where those lights were installed in the ceiling. Go figure.....

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I guess they don't have sarcasm up there in Utah....

Actually, your example was hyperbole, not sarcasm.

Hyperbole is a figure of speech that uses an exaggerated or extravagant statement to create a strong emotional response. As a figure of speech it is not intended to be taken literally. Hyperbole is frequently used for humour. Hyperbole

Example: The night has a thousand eyes.

Sarcasm is a mocking, often ironic, remark intended to wound. Adjective: sarcastic.

Some good examples here: HowStuffWorks "How Sarcasm Works"

Please forgive me. I can't help myself. I was an English major. This explains a lot. I also have a tendency to make bad puns.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Mostly, you're right about the environments where they don't work well. Haven't had a lamp fry yet but good to know. Doesn't that desk lamp issue create a fire hazard? The fact that we're being forced over is yet again overstepping by the government. I have no problem with many of the applications and would do so without legislation just to save money.

That being said, the dimming technology really isn't there yet and I prefer having a level of light in various parts of the house. I find they won't dim low enough for my liking. In addition, they suck as outside spotlights on my motion sensors. They finally are bright enough by the time I'm in the door.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oh, and if you break one, you have a toxic mercury spill that requires special clean-up techniques. Mercury Releases and Spills | Mercury | US EPA

God help you if you have children that rough-house. Speaking of which, where is the government's concern "for the children" in this issue?! Conspicuously absent.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Actually, your example was hyperbole, not sarcasm.

"I guess you don't have hyperboles up there in Utah" would just cause confusion as people would be wondering what type of underground rodent playing a base drum would have to do with what I said....whatever you call it, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I would say sarcasm is something said in jest that isn't meant to be taken seriously, is that incorrect?

I dint git nun of that hi'er ejumakashun lern'in stuff thoz colage folk be gittin. I be purty shure I new whut sarcasm ment tho.

But if it makes you feel better about yourself to correct people on their grammer usage in an area of the internet where you're pretty much guaranteed to find somthing to correct, more power to ya.

Last edited:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mostly, you're right about the environments where they don't work well. Haven't had a lamp fry yet but good to know. Doesn't that desk lamp issue create a fire hazard?

Naw, the lamp's switch gets gritty and just fries open. The bulb usually calls it a life when the switch fries.

I get those cheapie, position-adjustable shaded lamps from Office Depot or Staples when they're on sale for about $10-12. They're this kind, but not this brand:

cheap desk lamp

I've learned to keep a couple as backups. When the lamp switch feels gritty and the bulb won't light, I just pull the lamp out of the screwed-down base, pitch it along with the bulb, and drop in a whole new lamp.

"Phooey," sez I, as far as calling in a haz-mat team to deal with the bulb. So arrest me.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
"I guess you don't have hyperboles up there in Utah" would just cause confusion as people would be wondering what type of underground rodent playing a base drum would have to do with what I said....whatever you call it, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

No, no, no. I said "hyperbole", not "hypermole." And strangely, the first time I ever saw the word hyperbole in writing, I expected it would be pronounced "HY-per-bowl". *Sigh* I was wrong (the only time in my life that ever happened!) It is correctly pronounced hy-PER-bo-lee. I don't know why. It just is. It's all Greek to me.

But someday I do hope to see one of those cute little Okie Moles that do Phil Collins *covers. For you older folks, that would be Gene Krupa covers. Crazy! Utah, eat your heart out!

[And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.]

--------------------------------

*Cover - For those of you who didn't have a rock band practicing in your basement for 10 years, (please pass the ear plugs) to "cover" in the music world means to perform a song that somebody else made famous.

Confession: my all time favorite drum sequence -- even more so than the Ventures' "Wipeout" The Ventures Live: Wipe Out / pixelmuttz.blogspot.com - YouTube which actually is quite excellent -- is Steve Adler's performance on Sweet Child o' Mine. Guns.N.Roses-Sweet Child O'Mine- Steven Adler on Drums - YouTube

:rickroll::headbang:

WARNING WARNING WARNING - There are people smoking real tobacco cigarettes in the G&R clip. Do not allow children to watch. 8-o

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Confession: my all time favorite drum sequence -- even more so than the Ventures' "Wipeout" The Ventures Live: Wipe Out / pixelmuttz.blogspot.com - YouTube which actually is quite excellent -- is Steve Adler's performance on Sweet Child o' Mine. Guns.N.Roses-Sweet Child O'Mine- Steven Adler on Drums - YouTube
As a drum fan, may I assume you are familiar with Niel Peart of Rush?
He isn't just a drummer keeping the beat with a few added riffs, he is an instrument unto himself.

And as a side note: You have a lucky husband.
:wub:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
Yeah..Niel Pert (aka The Professor)...

That 9 minute YouTube video ate up 10% 0f my daily download allowance from Hughesnet but it was well worth it. I was never into Rush back in the day, but that was excellent. Plus these ear buds I bought (Nuphone? or something like that) really are outstanding. I could probably be deaf in 3 years if my connectivity issues didn't suck so bad.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
I can't say I particularly care for the new bulbs (color just seems "off"), but I haven't had to change one in 3+ years. It seemed like I was changing the incandescent type every other month...

Dang !. I bought some that were guaranteed for 3 years. They didn't even last 6 months. I should have kept the receipts.:mad:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
As a drum fan, may I assume you are familiar with Niel Peart of Rush?
He isn't just a drummer keeping the beat with a few added riffs, he is an instrument unto himself.

And as a side note: You have a lucky husband.
:wub:

Awww... actually the rock band playing in the basement was organized by "my son, the drummer" who is an excellent player (not that I'm prejudiced in any way, of course.) He has in the past year or so taught himself to play bass guitar and is now playing with a band in Ft. Collins Co called Stumble Monkey. If they have someone at a gig who can sit in on bass, then he will do a number on drums. Loud as it was, and good as he is on bass, I miss his drumming. But grandson Zac is pickin' up the slack!

Zac's First Drums - YouTube

Oh, and yes, Rush is another band that "my son, the drummer" is fond of. And you know about Def Leppard's drummer?

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I was just lazily surfing around and landed on a cheerful reference to 'Rush'... thought, "That's it. You can't get away from that idiot even in ECF."
Thought y'all talking about Limbaugh.

That's how old I am.
:facepalm:

LOL!

I'll let you in on a little secret. I'm that old, too. Having son who is a musician is what makes me able to masquerade as a youngster at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread