Math??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I'm doing some experimenting with sweetener in some of my DIY juices that are already made. I'm working with 1-2 ml batches. I want a mixture of sweetener that will result in 1% sweetener if added to 1 ml of juice.

I know that 1 drop of sweetener in 1ml of juice equals 5% (assuming 20 drops/ml). I figured that if I add 1ml sweetener to 4 ml of base (20% mixture) then 1 drop of that will result in 1% sweetener when mixed with 1ml juice.

Is my math correct on this?

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
If you've calibrated your dropper and know that there are 20 drops in 1mL your math is correct. Just remember that drops per mL are not fixed for all droppers. Good job otherwise, that is some good work.

Thanks for the reply. I understand about the dropper. Mine is 21 drops per ml. I'm only going to be dealing with 1-3 drops and I think the dropper will be more accurate than the 1ml syringe at those quantities.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the reply. I understand about the dropper. Mine is 21 drops per ml. I'm only going to be dealing with 1-3 drops and I think the dropper will be more accurate than the 1ml syringe at those quantities.

I'd say you're right! At 21drops/mL there won't be too much of a difference either.

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Most of the flavorings are PG based and very thin.

Using drops from those plastic bottles with the stubby little push-in plastic dropper on the end, I found out it takes 30 drops to make 1 ml.

Of course, the size hole in the dropper will vary the amount of drops it takes (along with the viscosity of the fluid) ... but mine almost always = 30

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
Can i make a suggestion? Get some weighing scales and make small batches that way.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/492182-mixing-weight-you-5.html

T

I have scales but have never tried mixing by weight. I have some juices that I made that are ok but I think they might benefit from a small amount of sweetener. In order to try 1% of the sweetener that is "full strength" I would have to mix it with 5ml of juice. I don't want to waste that much if it doesn't work out. Since I can't measure less than 1 drop I decided to reduce the strength of the sweetener so that I could use 1 full drop per 1 ml.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Can I make a Suggestion.

Making Test Batches in 5ml or More. Trying to make 1ml is a PITA Measuring wise.

DIY is Dirt Cheap. Even if you have to Chuck 5ml Down the Drain.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
Can I make a Suggestion.

Making Test Batches in 5ml or More. Trying to make 1ml is a PITA Measuring wise.

DIY is Dirt Cheap. Even if you have to Chuck 5ml Down the Drain.

I don't believe you understand. The juice is already made in 15ml batches. I'm just adding sweetener to a small amount of premade juice. I don't see the need in making a whole new 5ml batch just to try 1% sweetener.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't believe you understand. The juice is already made in 15ml batches. I'm just adding sweetener to a small amount of premade juice. I don't see the need in making a whole new 5ml batch just to try 1% sweetener.

I must have Misread what you are Doing. I thought you trying to Sweeten 1 ~ 2ml of e-Liquid.

I'm doing some experimenting with sweetener in some of my DIY juices that are already made. I'm working with 1-2 ml batches. I want a mixture of sweetener that will result in 1% sweetener if added to 1 ml of juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread