My First DIY Juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
I read these threads for hours and decided to jump in and get wet. I used Lorann's Butter Rum and an 80/20 PG/VG mixture. No nic (just ordered that last night from WL). I started with three 1ml mixtures. I mixed flavoring at 5%, 10%, and 15%. Flavor was there in the 5% mix but not enough. I couldn't tell the difference in the taste of the 10% and 15% mixes. I settled on an 11% mix and made a 5ml bottle. I steeped it overnight and it's a keeper. I have never purchased a commercial Butter Rum online or from a B&M but I did try one that a friend had. It tasted ok but was extremely weak. The flavor was there but you had to "think about it". My flavor is much stronger.

I thought that if it were just a little sweeter then it would taste just like the lifesaver candy. I have a 15 ml bottle of sweeteners that I purchased from MBV so I added 1 drop to the 15% mixture (5%). Gave it a mix and let it set for about an hour. It killed all taste. It was not like vaping no flavor but no hint of Butter Rum detected. I couldn't believe it so I added one drop to the 10% mixture. Same result, killed my flavor.

What happened?

What is in the sweetener that MBV sells?

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
EM is a little bit more forgiving if you over sweeten but 5% is to much. You should use 5ml test batches so you have some room to measure accurately. You should start with .5 - 1% sweetener. You should not add any sweetener or any additives or enhancers untill you've let it steep a few days. Just the passage of time will change a flavor drastically. So it may have just been the butter rum flavor has faded and it may not be the fault of the sweetener at all. So you should mix your primary flavor let it steep a few days and stablize then adjust primary flavor strength then let it steep for another day then adjust for sweetness.

Last edited:

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA
EM is a little bit more forgiving if you over sweeten but 5% is to much. You should use 5ml test batches so you have some room to measure accurately. You should start with .5 - 1% sweetener. You should not add any sweetener or any additives or enhancers untill you've let it steep a few days. Just the passage of time will change a flavor drastically. So it may have just been the butter rum flavor has faded and it may not be the fault of the sweetener at all. So you should mix your primary flavor let it steep a few days and stablize then adjust primary flavor strength then let it steep for another day then adjust for sweetness.

No, this happened immediately. Had been vaping good flavor for half an hour, added one drop of sweetener and "bamb" flavor gone. I agree that 5% was probably too much. I purchased the bottle to try to make juices that I didn't like vapable and it took 3-4 drops in a 1.6ml evod to taste any sweetness at all.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
No, this happened immediately. Had been vaping good flavor for half an hour, added one drop of sweetener and "bamb" flavor gone. I agree that 5% was probably too much. I purchased the bottle to try to make juices that I didn't like vapable and it took 3-4 drops in a 1.6ml evod to taste any sweetness at all.

Try switching to EM and use 1%

fadifafitto

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2012
Germany
+1 for what Danny said,
but another idea came to mind,

if your final mix is 1ml, you can dilute the sweetener before adding it,
so mix 1 drop of sweetener with 9 drops of plain PG,
and from the sweetener/PG mix, start by adding 1 drop (0.5%) ,

also remember that when adding sweetener, you reduce the flavor %,
so you might need to add the same amount of flavor (0.5%),