Maybe it's because it's a new year.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suspiciousmind

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
....but I got this notion that I might try E-cigarettes.

I've beem smoking over forty years.....mostly Marlboro reds....about a pack a day. I've been watching E-cigs a little bit for a few years but after talking with a few users over that time, I decided they weren't for me....yet. Any new technology needs time to evolve and I'm thinking I've given it enough time now so, I did a little quick research and made the jump.

I ordered a "standard" starter kit from Apollo with "manual" battery and tobacco flavor with 16mg potency (next to strongest). I really don't know what I'm doing at all here.....just taking my best guess at what my best starting point should be. I also signed up for their free disposable cig option in the coffee flavor....also 16mg potency. I hope these were pretty good decisions for my first investment but, I'd like opinions from experienced users as to what better choices I should make moving forward.

So, being a complete virgin (I haven't taken my first vape hit yet), I'm hoping for some guidance from those that have gone before me to help me do this right. I don't know if I'm even trying to quit smoking yet.....should I be?....will I be? I hope it's that easy.

I really don't know exactly what to expect from this experience but I'm looking forward to whatever it is....feel free to make your predictions.

mseymour67

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Columbus OH
Congrats on making the choice to try e-cigs!!!! I made the switch just before Thanksgiving, and I must say I VERY happy I did. I have heard a lot of good things about the Apollo, so you should be happy with it. I personally use the G6 kit from Halo when I am work, and a kit from JohnsonCreek, called the Vea, when I am at home....because of the larger battery. This forum is a great resourse for us newb's, and believe me, I have surfed this forum frequently. Also check out smokenjoey.com and tasteyourjuice.com ... these two guys are outstanding and honest in there reviews of e-cigs and accessories. Main things is to get off of the cigarettes, and e-cigs have greatly helped me.

ClippinWings

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
The OC
I was a pack a day Marlboro Ultra Light smoker and started with 18mg Nic, which I initially found to be a bit too high for me... so you may need to up your nic level...

The biggest piece of advice I have for someone who is just starting... if you struggle, don't blame all e-cigarettes. There are a ton of options out there between batteries, atomizers, e-liquid, etc... TYhe right fit for you DOES exist... just realize that it's a rare person who finds that right combination on their first go.

Last edited:

PickyJuicer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Hey, welcome to the ECF!

While I can't tell you if what you ordered is wrong or right, I can say that making the jump to e-cigs was a good decision!

Every one of us here was a complete e-cig virgin at one time. Some better equipped with knowledge than others.

I used a V2 for quite some time and thought I was content with it... HAHA, once I learned there was other stuff out there, there was no turning back and my little V2 was gifted to someone who thought they might like to try e-cigs.

Should you be trying to quit smoking? I think that's a very personal decision. My intent was to use an electronic cigarette as a smoking substitution. It worked for me for over a year! My husbad wanted to quit smoking and thought that these would help him. After a few failed attempts, he found a setup that worked for him and has quit smoking as well. He was a 30 year 1.5 pad red smoker. He didn't have high hopes going in, rather he just changed a few smoking habits and eased into it. One day he forgot to smoke... So was it intentional? Yes and no. There was a deliberate attempt to quit smoking, but quitting happened 34 days after finding a good setup and good flavors. Now he has a toybox! errr... I do too but who's keeping track? :)

Suspiciousmind

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
Congrats on making the choice to try e-cigs!!!! I made the switch just before Thanksgiving, and I must say I VERY happy I did. I have heard a lot of good things about the Apollo, so you should be happy with it. I personally use the G6 kit from Halo when I am work, and a kit from JohnsonCreek, called the Vea, when I am at home....because of the larger battery. This forum is a great resourse for us newb's, and believe me, I have surfed this forum frequently. Also check out smokenjoey.com and tasteyourjuice.com ... these two guys are outstanding and honest in there reviews of e-cigs and accessories. Main things is to get off of the cigarettes, and e-cigs have greatly helped me.

Thanks for the good words and the research lead!

Suspiciousmind

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
I was a pack a day Marlboro Ultra Light smoker and started with 18mg Nic, which I initially found to be a bit too high for me... so you may need to up your nic level...

The biggest piece of advice I have for someone who is just starting... if you struggle, don't blame all e-cigarettes. There are a ton of options out there between batteries, atomizers, e-liquid, etc... TYhe right fit for you DOES exist... just realize that it's a rare person who finds that right combination on their first go.

Yep, from what little research I've done thus far, there are an infinite array of choices. I gotta start somewhere I guess. If I can divert some of the money I've been sending to the tobacco companies to my own little research project searching for alternatives, I'm not out anything....right?

Last edited:

Suspiciousmind

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
Hey, welcome to the ECF!

While I can't tell you if what you ordered is wrong or right, I can say that making the jump to e-cigs was a good decision!

Every one of us here was a complete e-cig virgin at one time. Some better equipped with knowledge than others.

I used a V2 for quite some time and thought I was content with it... HAHA, once I learned there was other stuff out there, there was no turning back and my little V2 was gifted to someone who thought they might like to try e-cigs.

Should you be trying to quit smoking? I think that's a very personal decision. My intent was to use an electronic cigarette as a smoking substitution. It worked for me for over a year! My husbad wanted to quit smoking and thought that these would help him. After a few failed attempts, he found a setup that worked for him and has quit smoking as well. He was a 30 year 1.5 pad red smoker. He didn't have high hopes going in, rather he just changed a few smoking habits and eased into it. One day he forgot to smoke... So was it intentional? Yes and no. There was a deliberate attempt to quit smoking, but quitting happened 34 days after finding a good setup and good flavors. Now he has a toybox! errr... I do too but who's keeping track? :)

Sounds encouraging! I guess I plan to supplement my reds initially by being able to get a hit in different places for a change. I've quit before for a month or two but, really missed the hand-to-mouth thing and routine most of all I think. I believe maybe I can have both of those and more with e-cigs. I also like technology and this is one.....I need a new hobby anyway.

Maybe there's an app for this?

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Remember coughing and gaging 40 years ago on that first cigarette? Well now you get to do it again on your first e-cig :lol: It's just a bit of a learning curve to find the power/resistance level, and the flavors/strengths that satisfies you. Each of us is a little different, that's why there were so many different cigarettes to choose from. So don't be discouraged if you don't like the first flavor you choose, there are plenty of others. The first flavor I chose (red & white) tasted like siphoning a gas tank, and I remember thinking that if vaping tastes like this ... it's a no-go for me. A friend suggested a different flavor (from the same supplier no less), and I have never smoked a cigarette since.

Suspiciousmind

Jan 2, 2013
    Carolina
    Remember coughing and gaging 40 years ago on that first cigarette? Well now you get to do it again on your first e-cig :lol: It's just a bit of a learning curve to find the power/resistance level, and the flavors/strengths that satisfies you. Each of us is a little different, that's why there were so many different cigarettes to choose from. So don't be discouraged if you don't like the first flavor you choose, there are plenty of others. The first flavor I chose (red & white) tasted like siphoning a gas tank, and I remember thinking that if vaping tastes like this ... it's a no-go for me. A friend suggested a different flavor (from the same supplier no less), and I have never smoked a cigarette since.

Thanks, I'm resisting the urge to order more flavors and potencies right now and I don't expect my kit to arrive for a couple of days!

Should I at least order up a really potent recipe just in case??....any suggestions on something 30mg+ that'll fit my apollo?

I'm a noob so, I don't claim to know what I'm talking about at all.

WVvet

ECF Veteran
    Jun 11, 2011
    WV
    Best of luck on your ecig journey! I ordered my 'starter' kit a year and a half ago without much hope it would help me quit. I smoked a few the first couple weeks, then found I preferred the "cleaner" feel of vaping. Not to say there wasn't a learning curve. But once I got my ego style kit and found big cartridges that didn't need refilling a hundred times a day I have been a very happy camper.

PickyJuicer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 11, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    I've found there is also a bit of a time sink. I can't just grab a pack of smokes and run out the door. Each evening, I plan the next day, lol. I figure out what flavors I'd like to take with me (I have over 100 - I'm a flavor junkie), fill my clearos or cartos and pack my little e-cig bag (which is just a digital camera case that I gutted and put back together to suit my needs).

It can get frustrating too. Leaking tanks, ejuices that you're excited over only to find that they taste like dishsoap, dead batteries (ALWAYS have a back up and make sure your back up has a back up)!

I'm not saying this to be discouraging at all, quite the contrary. You just have to expect these things. It's not as simple and absentminded as smoking so there should be a real committment!

All in all, we have fun with it. "taste my juice", "whatcha mixin?", "that tastes like ...!!" are all normal parts of the conversations now. Meeting other vapers is fun too. My tattoos used to be conversation starters, now it's my vaping, lol.

It's entirely up to you if you want to go hog wild before experiencing an e-cig at all. If you really wanted to try one out, get a disposable from a gas station, drug store or Walmart. You will at least know what to expect by the time you get your vape mail!

Cigarettes here are around 11 bucks a pack. We live very close to an indian reservation though so we could get a carton of off brand for $25.00, not including the gas for the 45 minute each way drive. Technically, we're spending more on vaping BUT, if we were purchasing cigarettes locally, one carton would be in excess of 100 bucks. So, when I get the "receipt of shame" from our vape shop, I don't feel horrible. In fact - and this may not be as funny to you as it is to me - my dryer broke. We had to replace it. $715.00 in one shot. I said "Well... you know, that's really only 5 trips to Vapor Trail" so if we vape up the juices we have and use up our stash, we'll have it all back within a few weeks. And yes... that's how I justify our hobby, lol.

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 12, 2012
    Welcome, and congratulations! Don't worry about quitting for right now. Just worry about vaping. You might be like my friend, and quit immediately, and you might be like me and do both for months. There is no "right" way. As PickyJuicer said, just make sure you have backups! When I started, I got three batteries: One for vaping, one for charging, and one for if one of the other two crapped out. :)

KillTheNoise

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    I would love to link this ut im on my phone and cannot, however, if you have a spare 10-15 mins search for a video on youtube NAMED

THE NEXT STEP IN VAPING. by GrimmGreen

He is a fairly popular reviewer with tons of videos and does a very good job of breaking down vaping equipment. I highly suggest you watch it!

Either way, congrats on the leap! There's a lot of info out there and it will hurt your brain trying to learn everything for the next month, but you will eventually figure it out and be a transformed smoker! Just don't get discouraged and ask all the questions you want, there are a lot of awesome people in tnis community who love to help out newbies like yourself. Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread