Maybe want a new setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richrob424

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
Virginia
Ok so I got into vaping about 12 days ago or so. I have a Vision 2 spinner with KangerTech Pro tank 3. I'm thinking I want a new bigger setup. I'm trying vaping to get off analogs. My first full day vaping cut analog intake by 75%. 11-12 days later it is cut down by just 60-60%. So my analog consumption went back up a bit.
I'm kinda leaning to a MVP2 or a clone of some sort. The only thing is I'm lost in all the terminology and watts/ohms, etc. Any ideas out there for this noob?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Well, you need a spare. So, get something that is a step-up and make your current one the spare.

MVP2
ZMAX V5
VAMO V5
EVIC

Also, there are several coming out this Christmas-ish, the iStick has just come out. Great specs, but...(just my opinion) Anyway, look those up.

The Protank3 is good, but the Nautilus is a step-up.

Last edited:

amtseung

Sep 22, 2014
California
Welcome to ECF! Glad to see another person ready to tackle the learning curve that is vaping and vape gear.

The terminology all comes from basic electronics. Power output is measured in watts, ohms would be the number of ohms a.k.a. resistance of your coils, amps would be the amount of current flowing through your device (number of electrons passing through a set point per time period). I forget the formula for calculating watts, but I'm sure wikipedia can remedy that.
Ohm's Law is what ties all of this together. The simplified formula is V = I x R, where V is your battery voltage (actual voltage, not the marketed 3.7V, so roughly 4.2V on a full charge), I is your current or number of amps, and R is your resistance. This becomes key to not killing yourself if you ever take the dive into sub-ohm vaping (builds that are under 1.0 ohms resistance).
Regarding your increase in analog consumption, have you tried increasing the amount of nicotine in the liquid you get/buy/make? New gear doesn't always solve the problem, and it could end up being money wasted, which is always bad, unless you own BP or RJReynolds.
Properly big clouds were the only thing that got me permanently off the analogs, which only happened when I jumped from a crappy Ego CE4 to cloudchasing on a Magneto mod and Nimbus RDA. I'm not saying you should follow my poor example and go down this route, but this is a fringe case of what it takes some people to quit smoking and convert full time to vaping. Don't feel bad if you're still double-timing. Changing the brain's dependence on things takes time. Ask regular coffee drinkers what happens when they can only drink tea...

olefolks

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2013
Lewisville, TX, USA
reosmods.com

Went thru the whole gambit you are about to go thru. ProVari, Nautilus, Pro Tank 3, Russian 91, KayFun Lite +, etc. The site I have posted is a money saving everlasting Vape Heaven. Yes, you have to learn to build your own coils however, the Reo Mods sub forum in the Suppliers section will take you from the Womb to the Tomb. Just saying!!
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/

Last edited:

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
Ok so I got into vaping about 12 days ago or so. I have a Vision 2 spinner with KangerTech Pro tank 3. I'm thinking I want a new bigger setup. I'm trying vaping to get off analogs. My first full day vaping cut analog intake by 75%. 11-12 days later it is cut down by just 60-60%. So my analog consumption went back up a bit.
I'm kinda leaning to a MVP2 or a clone of some sort. The only thing is I'm lost in all the terminology and watts/ohms, etc. Any ideas out there for this noob?

MVP V2 and Nautilus Mini is my vote for a great step-up

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Congrats on starting to quit. I want to add a few things first before I recommend a setup.

First, I used to be a pack a day smoker. when I bought my first Ecig, it did not totally satisfy my urges. Even though the Nicotine was there, there are other chemicals in a cigarette you're addicted to. So, Ecigs aren't a perfect replacement. Instead, they are a good tool to help you quit. So don't judge the amount of analogs as your gauge as to if it's working.. if you're smoking less, then it's working. Try seeing how long you can go without a cigarette.. challenge yourself each day. Try raising your nicotine level a bit... see if that helps. I went from a pack a day to about 3 per day instantly... All based on EGO type batteries. I rewarded myself by allowing myself to vape indoors, but had to go out to smoke. I would vape heavily when I wanted a cigarette and try to withold smoking for as long as possible.. eventually it went down to one per day.... then one day, I said... Ok.. let's see how long I can go this time.... .so far, it's been a year and a half... Now, 3 months after I switched, I picked up half a cigarette and lit it to see if it still tasted good.. and it was horrible.. I couldn't even take one drag.

Now, that being said, most people are intimidated by getting a larger setup when they're first trying to quit. If you're open minded about it, you might want to look into getting a better one starting off. You have a twist, which is my #1 choice for people wanting to make the switch. Those are easy to carry. There seems to be a recent push in mods the past month. There have been some good 20 watt mods coming out, and if I were to recomend someone switching from an EGO, I'd suggest something along the 20 watt range. The MVP is a tried and true device, and easy to carry. However, the MVP has been out for over a year now, and it's starting to show it's age as far as capabilities. A new device has come out called the istick by Ismoka . IMO, it will replace the MVP for entry level mods, but that is just my opinion. I saw this at a brick and mortar store, and I was impressed. It costs about the same as an MVP, but is smaller. I cannot say as far as durability, but the shop owner was impressed.

If you have a bit more money, a Vaporshark DNA 30 would be my next suggestion. It is quite a bit more expensive though, but people have had good reviews and opinions of them. It's also compact, and offers more power and it has lots of support for it. It is more powerfull, and it has a sure foot in the "hobbyist" aspect of vaping.

Now, with those two suggestions, I still say you do not need anything more than your EGO to quit smoking. Most of the quitting has to do with the mental aspect of smoking and not the hardware. Try challenging yourself to go a bit longer, and reach for your ecig BEFORE you reach for an analog. Realize that the Ecig will not satisfy you all the time, but give it the chance first. Think of where and when you smoke the most, and then ban yourself from that time/place with regular cigarettes. If you smoke the most while you're on your computer, then tell yourself not to smoke there, but vape instead. Also, you might want to try a different clearomizer or increase the nicotine content. I remember smoking never tasted good, but it did make me feel better. Change that by making Vaping taste GOOD.. find a juice you really like the taste of.. then look for a second juice you like the taste of. Don't look for an exact replica of your smoking...you're not wanting to replicate, just switch. For me, it was RY4... Tasted sweet, like a caramel, and it's the flavor that got me to quit.. find your flavor.

Just my :2c:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I'm at a 18 mg made by High Voltage (transformer) and a 24 mg by Drip (red cowboy).

do they taste good? The nicotine content sounds about right.

I did some research on Nicotine, and in short I found out that Nicotine affects the dopamine pathways in your brain. Dopamine is the natural drug in your brain that indicates "success" or "I did it"... It's the chemical that is released after you get first place in a race, or score a goal in soccer or a touchdown in football. Think about it.. they just finished expending a lot of effort to get there...what gives them that bit of energy for that victory dance?? It's dopamine triggering adrenaline, and that feeling of success. Now, imagine smoking a cigarette. It triggers the same success feelings in your brain. You stop smoking, and your brain indicates "you're failing". It knows that inhaling that burning thing is success.. so, you get that craving. You have taught your brain that smoking = "success".

Knowing that, I catered my vaping to that knowledge.. I first weened myself from the physical burning cigarette, to something else... The ecig. I made sure I vaped 18 or 24mg of nicotine... once I was off, I switched away from tobacco flavors... just to put that extra barrier between me and going back to cigarettes. I "re-trained" my brain to accept non tobacco flavors.. and vaping in general. Since then, I've been lowering my nicotine levels. I am now vaping at 4mg, and I'm vaping vanilla custard, skittles, and guava. I don't know if I'll officially quit vaping, but I might just leave out the nicotine in a few months.

That is what worked for me. I'm not saying it will work for you, but hopefully it's something to consider. Also, consider the fact that cigarettes contain other addictive chemicals.. but Nicotine is the strongest.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Question on the juice. Do you like what you have?

I started vaping around the beginning of September. I started with some crappy little cigalike\refillable cartomizer I found in my son's room, and some peach 12mg from Mount Baker Vapor. It got me interested enough to buy an ego starter kit. The next week I had a little spinner knockoff vv device and an aspire mini nautilus. That helped a lot but still lacked the PUNCH from smoking. I smoked grape swishers, like 5 or 6 a day. So I was missing the kick a smoke would give me. Being familiar with ohms law and addictive by nature Mech Mod was next for me. I got a setup for $100 from a local shop with mod, dripper, batter, charger, and a dual coil setup that was safe for my battery. The week after I picked up another battery and a better battery charger. Much Better! Would start going a day or two between smokes. Still wasn't thrilled about battery life or carrying around an extra battery. So I started doing some research and was pretty set on the ipv3 or the new sigelei. Ended up getting the new Sigelei and man what a difference. Great battery life. Awesome versatility. Hits like a freight train but can still scale down and screw on the nautilus mini, and I haven't had a cig or cigar in 16 days. And I was a 25+ year smoker.

So I wish someone had told me after that first starter kit to get something that at least puts out 30 watts. My personal recommendation is to get something that puts out at least 50 and will hit at .5 ohms. Because nicotine was only part of the solution for me. It could have a great throat hit and give me a nic buzz, wonderful. But if I wasn't blowing out smoke it didn't matter. Not sure why that was for me but that is my experience.

The others offer great suggestions. At the very least get an mvp2 great battery life and pretty small considering what it does. And has passthru charging. Or you can try to wait for the newer devices to get reviewed and jump at one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread