Mech box mod issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicardi

Feb 1, 2018
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently purchased the Wotofo nudge squonk box and I’m using it with the Pulse 24 rda.

I’ve plenty of experience with mech mods and regulated mods but never used a mechanical box mod before. I purchased this device to try out squonking (which I love), but recently I’ve run into an issue.

Often, unless I push super hard on the button, it won’t fire. This was irritating but bearable, however, recently I’ve noticed the button seems to be getting rather hot after 3/4 pulls. This never used to happen. Is this safe to use? I intend to purchase the vandy vape pulse BF mod on Monday but was wondering if my current device is safe to use until then.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I unfortunately have absolutely no idea how to open it up, which bits to clean, how to clean it or what to clean it with. Is it safe to use?
I mean this sincerely....these are all things you should be very familiar with before using any mech mod.

Epicardi

Feb 1, 2018
I mean this sincerely....these are all things you should be very familiar with before using any mech mod.

I was slightly unclear, I mean in regards to this particular mod. I’ve YouTubed and looked around and can’t for the life of me figure out how to access the switch. There’s only one screw I can see but after unscrewing it, it still doesn’t budge.

Kiyle the Manlet

Feb 12, 2018
Ohio
I was slightly unclear, I mean in regards to this particular mod. I’ve YouTubed and looked around and can’t for the life of me figure out how to access the switch. There’s only one screw I can see but after unscrewing it, it still doesn’t budge.

It could also be your RDAs 510 pin. Try adjusting that too. I'm not familiar with the mod, but I know that can throw a wrench in your plans sometimes with mechs.

• Informative
Reactions: smacuser

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I'm not familiar with that particular mod, but what you're describing makes me think the contacts that make & break the connection (i.e. the"switch") is dirty and needs some attention.

Agree with ^^^, resistance from dirty switch contacts (parts) will cause heat.

Yep - button mashing and heat is a good sign of dirty contacts.

THIS !!

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA
authentic-wotofo-nudge-squonk-mechanical-box-mod-black-carbon-fiber-24k-gold-7ml-1-x-18650.jpg

In the upper left corner there should be a screw holding the tube/bottle pin in place. I would start there. After taking off, you can clean the contacts with hot soapy water, be sure to let them completely dry. Put it back together and give it a whirl :)
Hope this helps get ya started at least :)

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I just watched a couple of videos on this.
The second one did mention that he also tried to get in there to the contacts and couldn't find a way to do it.
If you take the bottle out can you see up into the contact ?
If you can, cut a strip of a business card or index card (no ink) and slide it in there then press the switch and slide the paper out. Do this a few times until there are no marks on the paper.
I wouldn't be happy with a mod I couldn't clean.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster.

I recently purchased the Wotofo nudge squonk box and I’m using it with the Pulse 24 rda.

I’ve plenty of experience with mech mods and regulated mods but never used a mechanical box mod before. I purchased this device to try out squonking (which I love), but recently I’ve run into an issue.

Often, unless I push super hard on the button, it won’t fire. This was irritating but bearable, however, recently I’ve noticed the button seems to be getting rather hot after 3/4 pulls. This never used to happen. Is this safe to use? I intend to purchase the vandy vape pulse BF mod on Monday but was wondering if my current device is safe to use until then.

Ive been vaping for almost 6 years now, and am very familiar with the maintenance of most tube mechs, simple to access parts as most mech tubes can be totally broken down, even the 510 connections etc.

When I got my first box mod, it was a VW and first thing I thought about was "well , how the heck does one keep this all clean? I know I cant just take it apart and throw it in a bowl of hot water and Dawn and scrub and put it back together, electronics etc. Now I know that mech box mods do have some wires etc, so again, you cant just take it apart and submerge it in water.

Most box mods, at least the ones I actually handled, are not easy to take apart, so your questions are not so self explanatory, I just did a YouTube search and there are quite a lot of how to clean your box mods, mech and regulated.

Here is the first one I found and this mech seems to be able to be taken apart a LOT, so your experience may vary. Id say just make sure your 510 connection is clean, most are sealed so you cant just take it apart, all you can do is use alcohol and occasionally use brass cleaner to get the heavier oxidation off. Keep the contacts or "sled" that holds your batteries clean, some are brass so Id use some brass cleaner carefully, dont want to slop that stuff where it cant be cleaned off.

Like others said, the feeling of having to press hard and warm to hot button, switch is usually because there is some dirt, oxidation slowing down the path of electricity. Im OCD and constantly clean what I can. Keep any threads clean etc.

I dont have too many regulated devices mostly because of the lack of ability to clean, blow out inside and out. Mech boxes are something I dont have, so maybe some of those that do have them and hopefully do maintain can share some of the information.

PS, after previewing some of these "how to" Id be kinda nervous taking them apart, especially wood, plastic and resins as they do constrict and might crack... I think I will stick to my old tube mechs, not much I can do to destroy them. Good luck and glad you're thinking about maintenance, not too many , even long time vapers ever think of cleaning their gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread