Mech mod for long-term vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejacko44

Aug 17, 2019
So, I'm trying to stock up a bit before everything hits the fan in September for the U.S. All I have is regulated mods at the moment (2 Aegis Solos, a Dovpo Topside, a uwell Ironfist, and a couple of pod mods - Kylin AIO and an Aspire Mulus). I'm looking to get another squonk mod or two, but should I be looking into getting a mech mod if I'm planning on vaping long-term?

I have ~10 yrs worth of 250mg salt nicotine from Nicotine River, so I was hoping between all of the mods I currently have that they might last... I might get more nicotine though.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
When it comes to mech squonk mods it's hard to beat a Reo (yes I am biased, I have 37 of them). The Reosmods and Robert are long gone, but FWIW right now there are quite a few of them for sale in the classified here (via Steamshack) who bought a bunch of them when they were sold at bargain basement close out prices some months ago. They are either barely used or are still brand new and he is selling them at his cost or less. He also has a bunch of spare parts for them he is selling. His ad has lots of pictures. HTH

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
No amount of homework is a substitute for a decent, safe(r) experience with a mod that has a proper 510 :)

I'm not arguing with you... looks like a decent kit... just saying it's not for a beginner.

For a beginner, I'd recommend a Broadside Admiral... 510 connection (can be convertedto a true hybrid with the proper RDA), clutch switch, battery rattle adjustment, 18650/20700 compatibility (safer with 18650 due to the sleeve).

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Always worth having a few mech mods with a couple of RDA's or RTA's. The mechs wont break or deteriorate like a regulated device will do after a while.
    Same as the RDA or RTA, no fear of the stock coils going out of production, just need a real of wire and wick and ur set up for years.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    For a mech mod I would recommend an Asmodus Rose Finch. Sourcemore still has them for $23.90. Many folks here bought them last year when SM put them on clearance. It's quite a deal considering when they were introduced they sold for $100USD and up. Some places still list them around that price and higher.

It has a proper 510 and there are no adjustments for your 18650 battery. I have a couple.

asMODus Rose Finch Mechanical Mod single 18650

The Broadside Admiral, Shawn recommended, is a very fine mech.

If you are looking for a squonker... SM also has the Asmodus Luna on clearance for $26.90. Again, many here bought at least one last year. It's a fine BF'er. It has a MOSFET with protections, so semi-regulated.
    Ultroner x asMODus Luna Squonker Box Mod Single 18650 Cell 80W

If you are looking for a mech only BF'er the Vandy Vape Pulse BF is nice. I have a couple, they're solid. They can be found for cheap. The kit is on sale at MyVpro.
    VandyVape Pulse BF Squonk Kit by Tony B Project

If you are looking for a mech squonker that is a little more high end and much more solidly built check out the dotMod dotSquonk. You might even be able to still find a VAMP (Vaping American Made Products) squonk by Rig Mod. I have both and they are built to last.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    The thought of using a mech scares the spit out of me. Got one anyway. And a mech squonk mod. Both old models at super low prices. They're like an insurance policy -- Hope to never have to use it but need it just in case.
    Saw your post and needed to let you know I have not forgotten. It's in the works. :D

• Love
    Reactions: MLEJ

thejacko44

Aug 17, 2019
    Thanks for the tips, everyone! I will likely be checking into the Reo squonkers being sold by @SteamStack as suggested by @Spydro, but that Broadside Admiral looks very nice as well! I only have about $200 to spend, unfortunately, so I am looking to be frugal while getting something that will last for a decade or more (with proper maintenance).

That pulse squonk mech looks nice as well - I was excited for the new Pulse v2 regulated mod coming out soon (or already is?), but I'm thinking an investment into a mech might be a better solution for the future. It's a good price as well, so I will likely pick up one of those as well. Thanks @ShowMeTwice!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if I ordered from Sourcemore/FastTech now would I still be able to get my order imported if it takes longer than the two weeks before the new U.S. regulations take effect?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I bought a Rose Finch about a year ago and relegated it to my backup stock for future years. It's a nice, well made mod that will likely outlast most of us and it's reliable since there's no electronics to fail. I'm basically a Pico 75 guy and I have over a dozen of those new in the box for backup. I've been using Picos for years and they last and last if they are handled with reasonable care (as we all should do).

We should accept that government could kill the vaping market at any time, although I think they know that vaping is a far better solution to the nicotine habit than smoking. If the government wants smokers to be healthier they will ease the pressure on the vaping market and tighten up the market for tobacco cigarettes. It's all about transferring the tax load to other products if they don't want tax revenue to dwindle down. The smart move for government is to tax what's unhealthy and free up products that are healthier.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    The thought of using a mech scares the spit out of me. Got one anyway. And a mech squonk mod. Both old models at super low prices. They're like an insurance policy -- Hope to never have to use it but need it just in case.

Mechs are fine if you use batteries that are up to the task and in good condition. Most of the issues with mechs occur with people who drop in a low grade cell and expect it to operate at 100 watts or higher. Heat rises in the cell and eventually you have a hot cell in your pocket that begins to spew electrolyte and it turns into a torch next to your leg. The only protection with a mech is your own knowledge of ohms law and the ability of a particular cell to operate safely at the wattage you vape.

If you buy a highly rated mech mod and know how to use Ohm's Law to calculate the amperage your combination draws, you will be relatively safe. If you don't know how many amps your coil draws and the amperage rating of the cells you buy, then you are at the mercy of a particular cell to handle the output.

It's all about buying cells that are up to the task of working all day long under a specific load. Learn to use Ohm's Law and you can vape safely.

Use the tables at the links below to find out if your cells are up to the task of safely providing the power your coil needs.

https://ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

Best 18650 Battery | 18650 Guide - Comparison Chart

Last edited:

rob33

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2009
    A World Traveler
    Actually after over 12 years vaping all my device failures have came from a regulated device. From them just dying to more serious issues as switches sticking, and even smoking eternally. Of the 40 or so unregulated mods I've have built and at least that many I have purchased never a failure. With a well made unregulated device with well maintained batteries and a responsible coil build I feel lots more safer then what the industry will want you to believe with a regulated device.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread