Mech MOD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rando Fawkes

Dec 21, 2015
Hey y'all, so I got another question I need help with. Not sure if this is the right section for this question as there are a lot of topic areas but here goes. So I am considering getting a SirLancelot Style Mechanical mod from fasttech..pretty sure it's a clone as its right around $14. My question is this, does anyone have this, or has anyone had one and if so how would you review it? Basically I'm just tryna figure out if it's worth it or if I should look more into the Magneto Style Telescoping Mechanical mod?

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
On the product page on Fasttech's site, there is a link to reviews and discussions.
Read the discussions for he specific item you are considering.
The members on their forums are pretty hardcore when it comes to gear and will give ya the scoop on any mod they have listed.

The Lancelot isn't a bad first mod.
IMHO, much better than the magneto.

Rando Fawkes

Dec 21, 2015
Is it the copper one? I do not have it, but try looking here.
5 reviews of Sir Lancelot Styled Mechanical Mod: FastTech

Seems OK, might need a little effort expended on the switch.
Yeah it's the copper one. Quite frankly I don't really care too much on colors of mods for now as I am still fairly new and trying to find one that I like. Once I find one I'll look more into getting a mod with a color scheme that I like

Liskrig

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2015
MA, USA
My first Mech was a Stainless Panzer. Now I have 13 mechs, some tedious as all get out. The Panzer is still the one I`ll use when I want a hard hitting problem free vape.

The Panzer clone I have by EhPro is the only Mech Mod I own, I haven't needed a reason to get another one. I barely use it, but when I do, It works all the time, every time :D

KentA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2015
Adirondack Mountains
Yeah it's the copper one. Quite frankly I don't really care too much on colors of mods for now as I am still fairly new and trying to find one that I like. Once I find one I'll look more into getting a mod with a color scheme that I like
Differences in metals is much more than differences in color.
For example, copper conducts electricity better than stainless steel but takes more maintenance to maintain the advantage.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Conductivity is directly related to mass. If mass is increased, stainless conducts as well as copper. Even aluminum conducts good when the mass is increased to a certain point. Copper is so soft, it can be problematic if you don`t know HOW soft it really is, in some cases you can bend copper with your fingers. I would recommend new vapers cut their teeth on stainless mechs and move on to softer metals as they get an idea of the torque limitations in these small threaded tubes. JFYI OP. :?)

coilburner

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2015
Hey y'all, so I got another question I need help with. Not sure if this is the right section for this question as there are a lot of topic areas but here goes. So I am considering getting a SirLancelot Style Mechanical MOD from Fasttech..pretty sure it's a clone as its right around $14. My question is this, does anyone have this, or has anyone had one and if so how would you review it? Basically I'm just tryna figure out if it's worth it or if I should look more into the Magneto Style Telescoping Mechanical MOD?
It says right in the tittle, "style" so yes its a clone. authentic devices on fasttech say authentic right in the tittle.

Reactions: Rando Fawkes

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
My first mech was a Magneto V1. I still use it and it's been a solid device. I'm looking into another one, maybe the V3 in blue. Telescoping mods require more maintenance though. There are a lot more threads to keep clean to maintain the integrity of the circuit. Mechs are about looks though, so pick the one you like the best. Performance depends a lot more on your build than the material the mod is made from. I do suggest a magnetic switch. They are a lot more reliable. Also look for something with a lock on the switch to keep it from firing in your pocket.

Reactions: Rando Fawkes

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
Amongst my friends/acquaintances I've seen two magnetos fail. I don't trust them.
Some of the clone shops turn out really high quality clones. SXK/Infinite and EHPro/wotofo come to mind. I have a stainless steel SXK praxis clone that is identical to the authentic aside from rhodium plated negative contact and top plates. Threads are smooth as silk, maybe a little better than that of my authentic tarsius 4Nine.
The biggest two things to look for in a mech (IMO) are:
-ease of switch disassembly
-ease of battery removal
You have to maintain the switch contacts, so it (maybe they) should be easy to remove.
I feel easy battery removal is self-explanatory.

Most mechs up on FT have discussions on whether or not they are a reasonable buy.
I would also say that a good SS panzer clone is a mech everyone should have. They are easy to maintain, rugged, and due to the extra mass, have a pretty low resistance (just like thicker, lower awg wire has less resistance/mm more massive mods have lower resistance, and thus less voltage drop). Skip the ceracoated blackhawk models unless you know it comes from a factory that leaves the threads unpainted. As much as I love copper, SS is a lot more practical for a tube mech; not only is the outside more resistant to damage, the threads are more likely to stay intact over the course of their lifetime.

Reactions: TraderX
i have the copper one, and I'm using it right now. So far so good, it's one of the two mods I use all the time. Nothing fancy, and make sure you have vape rings so the top cap and bottom cap don't unscrew itself while adjusting the locking ring or the atomizer. I mean, the necessity of the vape rings also proves the smoothness of the threading. I like it a lot.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
How did they fail?

One tore a battery wrapper, shorting the battery, luckily he had just installed the battery and set his mod down to grab a beer so it vented away from everyone out there.
My coworkers magneto crushed a kanger OCC head so it was shorting pre-coil (I can't fully blame the magneto on this one), this heated the battery enough to cause the shrinkwrap to shrink and split at a weak point, hard shorting the cell. I caught this one probably within seconds of it going critical.
"Hey my mod is getting really hot, do you have any idea what is wrong with it?" He says as he hands me his mod in the process of going critical... I don't think I've unscrewed something so fast in my life man. I got it apart and dumped the battery out onto the concrete to watch the shrinkwarp continue to split and melt from the heat.

Both situations were completely preventable, but I feel the fit and finish on the magneto is... lacking. Sharp edges on a mech mod are a no-go.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I have an old Magneto Vi. It's a very nice piece of gear, and I have never had a lick of trouble with it. I don't really care for telrscopic mods, but if you don't mind the looks I can recommend it. They're also cheap enough authentic you don't really need a clone. In that same price range you can also buy an authentic Wotofo Phantom. I have two. I don't really care for the way the 510 pin adjusts-- its a free sliding Chicago screw mated with a machine screw-- but it's easy to use and has never failed me. Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread