Mech mode problem with ohms law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
hi all i have created a build dual coil with 27gauge wire 5 wraps, i dont have an ohm reader to read the ressistance , and i want to put it in a single 18650 mech mode. Do you think its ok to do it like that ?
Absolutely not. You should not be using a mech mod.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
hi all i have created a build dual coil with 27gauge wire 5 wraps, i dont have an ohm reader to read the ressistance , and i want to put it in a single 18650 mech mode. Do you think its ok to do it like that ?

No!!! buy a device that reads resistance. This not only ensures you are working within the CDR rating of your battery, but also ensures there are no shorts with your build. A short can react almost instantly, and that reaction could be fatal!

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY

If you cannot test it for a short then you are asking for a very very hazardous problem.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
right now i am vaping on this build on a mod like hex ohm the suric xr with no problem and i have no shorts
but u think ohm reader is obligatory at the stage? And if u find ressistance then how u can ensure

Yes, you need something to measure resistance and check for shorts. If you use a mechanical and if you don't then you are tempting fate.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
right now i am vaping on this build on a mod like hex ohm the suric xr with no problem and i have no shorts
but u think ohm reader is obligatory at the stage? And if u find ressistance then how u can ensure

Yes. 27 awg, 5 wraps is meaningless. I could come up with dozens of different resistances using different wire with different coil diameters just based on 27awg and 5 wraps. What is important is not how many wraps, or the gauge, but the overall resistance of your build. This needs to be measured to ensure you are working within the limits of your battery which you have yet to disclose. There is no guessing here, and you cannot use a device such as the Hex Ohm as a safety measure. Buy a resistance reader.

Not trying to discourage you from using a mech. But there is some basic knowledge and precautions that is needed before you even entertain using a mech. Do not become a statistic! Understand Ohms law, the wire in which you are using, the batteries limits, and acknowledge any damage to the batteries. ALWAYS measure your builds to ensure safe operation and to void a catastrophic short.

mikegero213

Apr 8, 2020
Yes. 27 awg, 5 wraps is meaningless. I could come up with dozens of different resistances using different wire with different coil diameters just based on 27awg and 5 wraps. What is important is not how many wraps, or the gauge, but the overall resistance of your build. This needs to be measured to ensure you are working within the limits of your battery which you have yet to disclose. There is no guessing here, and you cannot use a device such as the Hex Ohm as a safety measure. Buy a resistance reader.

Not trying to discourage you from using a mech. But there is some basic knowledge and precautions that is needed before you even entertain using a mech. Do not become a statistic! Understand Ohms law, the wire in which you are using, the batteries limits, and acknowledge any damage to the batteries. ALWAYS measure your builds to ensure safe operation and to void a catastrophic short.
th

mikegero213

Apr 8, 2020

thanks for your response, so if i use the precautions with the ohm redear and ohms law i will ok, what about the shorts , what does it mean and how i can detect them before puting my atomizer

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Building for a Mech Mod without a way to Measure Resistance is kinda like filling a Propane Tank without a Pressure Gauge.

You might be Fine. But when you do it Wrong, and sooner of later you Will Do It Wrong, the outcome can be More than you bargained for.

mikegero213

Apr 8, 2020
Building for a Mech Mod without a way to Measure Resistance is kinda like filling a Propane Tank without a Pressure Gauge.

You might be Fine. But when you do it Wrong, and sooner of later you Will Do It Wrong, the outcome can be More than you bargained for.
ok i understand about resistance that is necessary, now to atomizer shorts , how many times you have to fire to check for shorts before u put it on the mod

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    shorts you mean that doesn't fire when i push the button? because now i can vape with regulated i dont have mis fires. so this means i have no shorts?

what does it mean and how i can detect them before puting my atomizer

"Learning as you go" is not a good way to learn the dangers of a mech mod and how to safely use them, especially when you don't have the proper equipment or even the most basic knowledge.

You next steps are simple...
    • Remove the batteries from the mech.
    • Remove the atomizer from the mech.
    • Put the mech down and step away until such time that you
    • Obtain the proper equipment and knowledge before trying the mech again.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    thanks for your response, so if i use the precautions with the ohm redear and ohms law i will ok, what about the shorts , what does it mean and how i can detect them before puting my atomizer

A short is a short circuit. Stick a fork in an electrical outlet and you short the circuit (please do not try that!). Fortunately the electrical outlet has a breaker or fuse to prevent that short from causing a fire. A battery within a mech mod does not have such features. A short will cause an extreme temperature and pressure increase within the battery to the point where it cannot be contained and it will explode. This can happen within milliseconds! The energy of such explosion is great enough to tear your mod apart, sending shrapnel everywhere - most likely toward your face!

A resistance reader will identify a short within your build, either by displaying 0 ohms, or perhaps ERROR.

Do not want to come off sounding harsh, but these are some basic understanding with mech use. If you do not understand these basics, along with ohms law and battery safety, then I have to agree with @Don29palms - you should not be using a mechanical mod. Put the mod aside, understand the risks and learn. Many YouTube videos, web sites and even forums.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ok i understand about resistance that is necessary, now to atomizer shorts , how many times you have to fire to check for shorts before u put it on the mod

Twice.

Once after I get the Coil(s) mounted.
    And once Again after it is Wicked/Primed and I have put the RBA Cover back on.

A Classic Building Mistake is that a Coil Leg may not be clipped short enough. The Resistance will read fine when the RBA Cover is off.

But when the RBA Cover is put on, and the Coil Leg touches the RBA Cover, now you have a Dead Short.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread