Mech mods and dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishcream1

Mar 5, 2013
Stl
So i just got my first mech mod and dropper. I have been careful with my builds as i do not want to go the low and have a chance of the battery exploding. I have been using the app mr combi which has you put in the battery voltage and resistance(ohm) to figure out how much current you are putting through your battery. I have mnke and AWs, not sure about using efest yet. My question is when the battery is almost drained is it still giving 4.2 volts? If not that would change the current i am running through the battery right? Thanks for any answers as I'm loving my dripper but want to make sure i am staying safe and not pushing my batteries too hard.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
My question is when the battery is almost drained is it still giving 4.2 volts?
No, it drops as the charge is depleated.

If not that would change the current i am running through the battery right?
Correct. You need to purchase a DMM so that you can (among other things I'll not go into now) accurately determine when it's time to change to a fresh battery, as well as measure the status of a charged battery. Repeatedly discharging batteries to low can damage them permanently.

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Hey everybody, don't just go slappin' in any old Li-ion cells in your mods...

DANGER DANGER DANGER !

Use only the batteries listed below:

(, otherwise you are playing with your life! Most 18650s were simply never made to be high drain, and that's what we do when we vape)

Here are two items that will help you:

First are amp ratings for different battery brands-

BestChart_zps581061e3.png

I need to mention that with the above battery chart this is a battery with a full 4.2v charge.

And give yourself some room with those recommended resistances. I.E. just because the chart gives you a lowest rated Ω coil- don't push it, go well above and keep your face on.

Next is an application to tell what kind of amperage you are dealing with; so you can use the above chart. Only enter voltage of your 18650(which you get with a digital multimeter) and the resistance of your atomizer coil.

Ohm's and Joule's Law Calculator

Please realize that any old lithium ion 18650 is not safe. Stick with these cells as they are engineered to endure pulse voltage as opposed to slow drain. IMR chemistry is a must. With the exception of the new purple efest don't screw around with any other battery in your mods. And ESPECIALLY when sub-ohming.

And BTW re:

So a almost depleted battery at 3.2 v with a .3 ohm is 10 amp so i should be ok.

Absolutely not. If you don't believe me go over to Candlepower forums and search for "Thermal Runaway". You can see all the graphic pictures of an 18650 when over discharged.The problem is, in this case, not so much the amperage[though your battery may not be rated for over 10amps] (which is yes 10.6666668) but that you are setting up that battery for potential thermal runaway when you put it on the charger.
That's where the problem happens. When you put an under discharged battery on a charger. 3.2v is really considered the unsafe range. Most VV/VW mods shut down at 3.5v.

Please, you guys. Don't dive into sub-ohm without some safe baseline procedures as you vape and learn. Get some Panasonic CG greys for any mod for under 10 bucks and stay safe 'till you gather knowledge.

Last edited:

Adamsville

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2012
Atlanta, GA

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Has any1 ever actually blew up a batt. Wouldn't they just melt I've done some crazy build and never had a problem
"AirHoles" Big Cloud Review Ep. 3 - YouTube
Check out my triple twisted 28 guage sleeper I built

Uh did you see the picture? Here, it flew into his coffee pot!

SFBUM7_zpse9ca423c.jpg

So, uh, yeah....that pretty much defines "blew up". But hey, man it's your face. Just trying to look out for you guys who are brand new. There is much to learn. Be careful :) Those big clouds won't mean much if you don't have eyes to see them.

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi

Yeah, those are them. The old reliables. Safe chemistry, don't go below .5Ω (that's half an ohm), if you do want to go lower get the MNKEs or the Sony's in the chart.

I meant the Panny CGR18650CH mainly for non mech mods like SID,Vamo, Provari etc that have built in under-discharge protection circuits. That's a ridiculously high price with shipping though. You can get the CGRs from alot of vendors or Ebay. Usually about 6-8 bucks each.

Ebay has some decent prices much cheaper than Amazon. I think my MNKEs were 2 for 15 bucks on Ebay.

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Wow those are some scary pics. I did a little research before going sub ohm and was told when I purchased it that the batteries can handle 20 amp. When I asked where is the danger area with the mnke and aw's i was told .2 ohms so i have been building a dual coil at .6. Is this not safe?

Naw, you're okay with the MNKEs,

So .6 with MNKEs is safe. Just watch the voltage with a multimeter. When the battery reaches around 3.8v put a new one in and charge up the 3.8v while you vape on the fresh one :)

Last edited:

Gr8Scott

ECF Veteran
Sep 23, 2012
Ifaitoldzya, Umytszlapmi
Oh and hey, I almost forgot, get a VapeSafe fuse. That way when the battery gets too low re: voltage it will trip and interrupt drain on the battery.

They are like 3 bucks and well worth the extra insurance. Essential for a mech running sub-ohm

(EDIT):

Here, SmokTek version, 4 bucks.
http://www.litecigusa.net/Smoktech_VapeSafe_Fuse_p/smok-fuse.htm

Last edited:

Irishcream1

Mar 5, 2013
Stl
Oh and hey, I almost forgot, get a VapeSafe fuse. That way when the battery gets too low re: voltage it will trip and interrupt drain on the battery.

They are like 3 bucks and well worth the extra insurance. Essential for a mech running sub-ohm

I sure will, thank you for the advice. I enjoy the dripping at lower ohms but i don't want to go into the danger zone as it's not worth the big cloud that doesn't have as much taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread