The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Mech Mods?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by MikeyNY, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Question - once in awhile I like to go out with the a Tube mod so I picked up the Aspire CF mod. What I don't like about it is the voltage drop as the battery drains. If I were to go get a Tube Mech mod such as the El Diablo would the voltage stay the same throughout the battery life or will I run into the same situation that I have now? Thanks guys!

2. Firestorm

Firestorm Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chicagoland
    The El Diablo is a mechanical mod that is not regulated so the voltage will drop as the battery drains as there is no circuitry to regulate or boost it. This is the case with all mechanical mods that by definition do not regulate voltage.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bluecat

bluecat Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    In a mech you basically get the power the battery has. In a perfect world. 4.2v off the charger.. After a little use 3.9V it will stay there a while then go down rapidly to whatever you stop at. Most stop after 3.7V when vapor is a wisp. Batteries have a low end you should not go over.

Never seen an Aspire CF device.

4. Thrasher

Thrasher ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 28, 2012
    Madeira beach, Fla
    Using a mech usually means learning how to properly balance a coil, things like gauge, mass, heat flux, ramp up time etc have to be tuned. Very rarely fo you just toss whatever on a mech and get satisfactory results.

• Like Like x 5
  5. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Thanks guys, The CF mod is like a mech mod but with safety protection. I was looking for a tube mod that would hit hard for most of the day. In Grim Greens YouTube review he states that it's 4.2V continuous throughout the life of the battery.
    Pbusardo Did a test in his review and proved that the voltage does drop with use and wouldn't give it a thumbs up because of that.

6. MattyTny

MattyTny Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2013
    New York
    The batteries similar to the Aspire CF are not mechanical. They are more like unregulated with protection.

If you want something that simply has more battery life and mechanical you could look into 26650 mechanicals. Otherwise you need to get into multiple battery devices for more life. The dual parallel 18650 mechanical boxes are very popular.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Thanks Matty. I have the CF Mod which doesn't have an internal battery. It uses a 18650. You can't adjust the voltage or wattage on it so that make it an unregulated mod right?

• Like Like x 1
  8. MattyTny

MattyTny Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 8, 2013
    New York
    Oh sorry, yes it means it's like other mechanicals. Just make sure you have extra batteries with you. You'll get a feel for when you need to switch them out. It's a pain, but 18650 mechanical form factor is lovely.

There is what we call mechanical and "true mechanical". Some mechanicals have a little circuitry, like for a mosfet or other wiring. These are still mechanical, but not fully mechanical. Full mechanical means you have contacts with absolutely no wiring. Some people prefer one over othe other.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nyiddle

nyiddle Ultra Member ECF Veteran

The CF is essentially an unregulated device, on par with nearly all mechanical tube mods.

It does have some circuitry in it (how else would it accept a charge without some kind of conversion) which technically makes it not entirely mechanical, but for what it's worth, it's pretty much a direct analogue to any experience with a mech mod/18650 battery.

10. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    There will be battery voltage drop with any mechanical mod. The voltage comes directly from the battery, and as the battery drains during use the vape quality will gradually drop, too.

A "regulated" mod does exactly that. It regulates the voltage output to stay the same according to your settings, by artificially boosting the battery output while the battery drains via a processor chip.

Some mech mods will accept a Kick device. This is a drop-in module that sits on top of the battery, and will regulate the battery output like the processor in a regulated mod. Keep in mind the Kick takes up room in the battery area of the mod, so you may need to drop down in size of the battery. Some mech mods have battery extension sleeves or caps in order to use a Kick with an 18650 battery.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
    So what's your take on this device?
    Aspire Carbon Fibre Mod Battery

12. Bad Ninja

Bad Ninja Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jun 26, 2013
    Salton Sea, CA
    Those Aspire CF devices are NOT mechanicals.
    They have protective circuitry.
    They are unregulated devices like an EGO but bigger, with removeable cells.

Mechanicals have no protection.
    Totally different animal.
    Don't confuse the two.
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Got it.. Mech's and the CF Mod are both unregulated and the CF is not a Mech.
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  14. tjeco

tjeco Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    That's the reason I have shifted to high wattage regulated mods, consistent power throughout the battery life.

15. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
    Yea, I have high wattage regulated boxes also.

16. papergoblin

papergoblin Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    alabama
    Regulated devices do give consistent power but to me a mech gives better flavor, as the ramp time changes flavor, of course I could just be nuts.

17. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    There are a ton of regulated tube mods. Those regulated box mods have really only "been the thing" in 2015.

Hell, even the Provari is a regulated tube mod. ;)

I set my mechanicals to be 'spot on' at the batteries "nominal" voltage. (3.7v)

18. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
    That totally answered my question, thanks.
    So I would be better off with a regulated tube mod as opposed to an unregulated mod as to avoid running into the voltage drop issue.
    As for the Provari though, I can't see spending almost $300 on that device.
    I'd rather stick with the CF for $35

19. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I just bought another Provari a couple of months ago. It cost less than $100.
    ProVari Regular & Mini Variable Voltage Ecig: Best Variable Voltage E Cig Available!

• Like Like x 1
  20. MikeyNY

MikeyNY Senior Member

Apr 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.