Mech Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
Question - once in awhile I like to go out with the a Tube mod so I picked up the aspire CF mod. What I don't like about it is the voltage drop as the battery drains. If I were to go get a Tube Mech mod such as the El Diablo would the voltage stay the same throughout the battery life or will I run into the same situation that I have now? Thanks guys!

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
Thanks guys, The CF mod is like a mech mod but with safety protection. I was looking for a tube mod that would hit hard for most of the day. In Grim Greens YouTube review he states that it's 4.2V continuous throughout the life of the battery.
Pbusardo Did a test in his review and proved that the voltage does drop with use and wouldn't give it a thumbs up because of that.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
The batteries similar to the Aspire CF are not mechanical. They are more like unregulated with protection.

If you want something that simply has more battery life and mechanical you could look into 26650 mechanicals. Otherwise you need to get into multiple battery devices for more life. The dual parallel 18650 mechanical boxes are very popular.

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
The batteries similar to the Aspire CF are not mechanical. They are more like unregulated with protection.

If you want something that simply has more battery life and mechanical you could look into 26650 mechanicals. Otherwise you need to get into multiple battery devices for more life. The dual parallel 18650 mechanical boxes are very popular.
Thanks Matty. I have the CF Mod which doesn't have an internal battery. It uses a 18650. You can't adjust the voltage or wattage on it so that make it an unregulated mod right?

Reactions: MattyTny

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
Thanks Matty. I have the CF Mod which doesn't have an internal battery. It uses a 18650. You can't adjust the voltage or wattage on it so that make it an unregulated mod right?

Oh sorry, yes it means it's like other mechanicals. Just make sure you have extra batteries with you. You'll get a feel for when you need to switch them out. It's a pain, but 18650 mechanical form factor is lovely.

There is what we call mechanical and "true mechanical". Some mechanicals have a little circuitry, like for a mosfet or other wiring. These are still mechanical, but not fully mechanical. Full mechanical means you have contacts with absolutely no wiring. Some people prefer one over othe other.

Reactions: MikeyNY

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.

The CF is essentially an unregulated device, on par with nearly all mechanical tube mods.

It does have some circuitry in it (how else would it accept a charge without some kind of conversion) which technically makes it not entirely mechanical, but for what it's worth, it's pretty much a direct analogue to any experience with a mech mod/18650 battery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There will be battery voltage drop with any mechanical mod. The voltage comes directly from the battery, and as the battery drains during use the vape quality will gradually drop, too.

A "regulated" mod does exactly that. It regulates the voltage output to stay the same according to your settings, by artificially boosting the battery output while the battery drains via a processor chip.

Some mech mods will accept a Kick device. This is a drop-in module that sits on top of the battery, and will regulate the battery output like the processor in a regulated mod. Keep in mind the Kick takes up room in the battery area of the mod, so you may need to drop down in size of the battery. Some mech mods have battery extension sleeves or caps in order to use a Kick with an 18650 battery.

th

Capture3223.JPG

Last edited:

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
There will be battery voltage drop with any mechanical mod. The voltage comes directly from the battery, and as the battery drains during use the vape quality will gradually drop, too.

A "regulated" mod does exactly that. It regulates the voltage output to stay the same according to your settings, by artificially boosting the battery output while the battery drains via a processor chip.

Some mech mods will accept a Kick device. This is a drop-in module that sits on top of the battery, and will regulate the battery output like the processor in a regulated mod. Keep in mind the Kick takes up room in the battery area of the mod, so you may need to drop down in size of the battery. Some mech mods have battery extension sleeves or caps in order to use a Kick with an 18650 battery.

th

Capture3223.JPG

So what's your take on this device?
Aspire Carbon Fibre Mod Battery

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
Those Aspire CF devices are NOT mechanicals.
They have protective circuitry.
They are unregulated devices like an EGO but bigger, with removeable cells.

Mechanicals have no protection.
Totally different animal.
Don't confuse the two.
;)
Got it.. Mech's and the CF Mod are both unregulated and the CF is not a Mech.
Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad Ninja

tjeco

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2012
Manila, Philippines
Question - once in awhile I like to go out with the a Tube mod so I picked up the aspire CF mod. What I don't like about it is the voltage drop as the battery drains. If I were to go get a Tube Mech mod such as the El Diablo would the voltage stay the same throughout the battery life or will I run into the same situation that I have now? Thanks guys!
That's the reason I have shifted to high wattage regulated mods, consistent power throughout the battery life.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Thanks guys, The CF mod is like a mech mod but with safety protection. I was looking for a tube mod that would hit hard for most of the day. In Grim Greens YouTube review he states that it's 4.2V continuous throughout the life of the battery.
    Pbusardo Did a test in his review and proved that the voltage does drop with use and wouldn't give it a thumbs up because of that.

There are a ton of regulated tube mods. Those regulated box mods have really only "been the thing" in 2015.

Hell, even the Provari is a regulated tube mod. ;)

I set my mechanicals to be 'spot on' at the batteries "nominal" voltage. (3.7v)

MikeyNY

Apr 18, 2015
    There are a ton of regulated tube mods. Those regulated box mods have really only "been the thing" in 2015.

Hell, even the Provari is a regulated tube mod. ;)

I set my mechanicals to be 'spot on' at the batteries "nominal" voltage. (3.7v)
    That totally answered my question, thanks.
    So I would be better off with a regulated tube mod as opposed to an unregulated mod as to avoid running into the voltage drop issue.
    As for the Provari though, I can't see spending almost $300 on that device.
    I'd rather stick with the CF for $35

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Reactions: MikeyNY
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread