Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Let’s get this shorted out!!!!

With the ever more popular and safer Regulated devices, I hope we can all breathe a sigh of relief that new Vapers are less inclined to embark on their sub-ohming/cloud chasing/flavour chasing adventures anymore using mechanical mods.

I know it has been the concern of many members for some time now, that there have been too many incidences of accidental shorts using mechs without acquiring a reasonable knowledge of battery safety or Ohm’s Law or experience when building atomizers, let alone Sub-Ohm!!

With current Political trends and the increase in popularity of vaping, this could not have happened at a better time- Let’s put SAFETY first.

I thought we might all share some wisdom with those who still use mechanicals by way of our personal incidents to act as an ‘early warning system’ of potential happenings, however caused, without feeling silly or stupid for our earlier ‘human errors’ or equipment failures, to comprise a list here in the hope that those same mistakes need not be repeated.

My 1st Short:
Fasttech Kayfun 3.1 on a Vanilla mod. Tightened the positive screw on the bottom 510 and didn’t check it on a ohm’s reader before firing; resulting in hard short because the build deck had come loose and both parts, positive and negative had made contact…ouch!!:evil:

Solution:

Always check your atty’s with an ohm reader after making any new builds or adjustments to them.
I notice the insulators on the kayfun 4 now have a ridge to stop this from happening-good idea me thinks!

2nd Short:
Over loosened the battery rattle adjustment screw in the same mod , due I suppose to an atomizer having a rather short 510, and the battery rattle adjustment screw came out, flopped sideways and shorted the battery upon pushing the fire button-yikes, hot!:mad::facepalm:

Solution:

Never over extend yer battery rattle adjuster-maybe give it a little test tug before connecting and firing mod:closedeyes:

That’s all for me, now your turn to share, and remember it is for the good of ‘all’ and not the ‘one’ so don’t be embarrassed as we all make mistakes as human beings. The key is to learn from our’s and those of other’s.

Thank you for sharing.

Juicy:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not quite 3 years ago, I'd been vaping cigalikes for about a month when I decided to advance up to a mechanical mod with a cartotank (2.0 ohm cartomizer inside).

I kept my mod in my pants pocket, which were hanging in my work locker. While on break I go to my locker for a quick vape, only to find that the mod is TOO HOT TO TOUCH.

Long story short, the mod had auto-fired in my pocket. The protruding fire button on the mod got pressed continuously in the pants pocket, quickly over-discharging the battery inside. The battery went into thermal runaway and exploded in the mod. Luckily the hot gas vented out the fire button so that the mod didn't become a pipe bomb. (That would have gone over well with my employers.) The pants were scortched and ruined; and I was so alarmed that I took it upon myself to learn more about batteries.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or ICR?

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries

That battery happened to be a protected ICR battery (a Trustfire 14500), which were the batteries recommended in those days. Today those batteries are shunned for vaporizer use. IMR batteries (safer chemistry) are now recommended.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi Bad. I think it is just as well that you weren't in them when that happened:D
I know you are very vocal on battery safety on this forum and strive to inform the uninitiated and impart some wisdom. Kudo's for that.

Personally, I never place mechs in my pockets anymore, these days they are always for home use but more to do with the times than safety lol

A trustfire was actually once the recommended battery, Holy Cow:laugh:

Other than this 1 instance, have you had any other shorts caused by problems with tanks or builds and would you share them if so.
Also, do you think I should move this thread to mechanical s? I wasn't sure where to post it- Thanks

Juicy

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
it may be basic knowledge to some but, what does having a short actually do? I know what causes it but when you get a short what are the results of it on a mech mod, or what the outcome.

A short results in a cell venting it's gas's and tremendous heat at the very first few moments. After which it may or may not cause a mech to simulate a pipe bomb (in the worst case scenario) but with vent holes in most modern mods, just heat and maybe damage to the mod.

Most modern battery's are much safer chemistry these days. It really depends on the circumstances and how long the cell has been venting under shorted conditions. Sometimes there is fire, sometimes injury and sometimes property damage.

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I fried a hana v3 clone with a short on a kayfun nano. The upper chimney was touching the coil. I ohm'd it before fully assembling. Now i always test after put all back together.

That small build deck on the nano is a pita when you have so little space for the chimney and tank. I hope that common sense will prevail and one day they will make the chimney's out of non-conductive materials on all kayfun styled rta's. I have clear plastic one's on all my Kayfuns for safety and will be changing all insulators with the improved Kayfun 4 insulator which will not permit the two parts of the build deck to make contact under any circumstances.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
it may be basic knowledge to some but, what does having a short actually do? I know what causes it but when you get a short what are the results of it on a mech mod, or what the outcome.

There are many such video's on YT showing what may happen in case of a mech mod short but with safer chemistry battery's (IMR) Heat is the main reaction and an actual explosion less likely than year's ago.

https://youtu.be/ZTzEHsJVZhA

https://youtu.be/5pmKjA9IiHc

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
ANY and ALL battery safety warnings applied to a MECH Mod.. Should be applied to ALL MODs. I'm sorry but there is no way you can convince me That a 150watt stacked battery mod in a metal box, is 100% SAFE when it comes to battery shorts and such. Electronic circuits FAIL..... Not always predictably. That safety feature you trust your life too... Could fail in such a way to be worse than anything a Mech can do.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
ANY and ALL battery safety warnings applied to a MECH Mod.. Should be applied to ALL MODs. I'm sorry but there is no way you can convince me That a 150watt stacked battery mod in a metal box, is 100% SAFE when it comes to battery shorts and such. Electronic circuits FAIL..... Not always predictably. That safety feature you trust your life too... Could fail in such a way to be worse than anything a Mech can do.

Totally agreed. Built in safety features in regulated devices of ANY type are just a feature and as such, can fail. Safety needs to be practiced on each and every device.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Bikes, lawnmowers, cars or mods (reg or otherwise) Crxess, you are correct about that but specifically with vape gear..any shorts you'd care to warn about in your early experiences with mechs perhaps????

Hate to say, Knock on wood:laugh:, The only type of short I have had in almost 3yrs. of Vaping was accidentally touching a coil with my tweezers while powered. Instantly blew the coil and had to start over.

I try to be a as careful as possible in building and have been hands on all my life so for me it is kind of a natural progression. Got my Wife vaping so I keep a close eye on all her gear now also.

My best advice is to understand, even under the best of conditions, things can happen. Be aware and Act, not react, if something goes wrong.
Practice safe building
Double check your work
Run periodic Maintenance
Only use Quality Safer Chemistry batteries(Exception is integrated batteries)

Most of all - If your not sure - Wait, research, find the proper answer.
Taking a gamble is best left for lottery tickets.:)

Be Safe :toast:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Always test a new Atty real quick. Especially clones. I've had more then one in my vape career come hard shorted right out of the box.

Even if the battery survives. Nothing more annoying then to dig up parts and insulators and crap destroyed from overheating when all you really wanted to do is kick back and enjoy your new toy.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA

I dont think anyone claimed anything was 100% but having those features is better than not. The down side is regulation give people less reason to know their equipment and how it works what its capability's are and what not to do. The good thing is a coil with two low of resistance just wont fire in a regulated mod. I would like to see even more safety features in regulated mods. Maybe something that allowed you to input the amp limit of your battery's and would not exceed that. Or something that also monitored bat temp

Coaxing more power from batteries is cool but doing it in the safest manner possible is even cooler. Saying safety controls are less safe then not are like saying seat belts and air bags are a waste of money.

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Moved from General Vaping Discussion to APV Discussion...

EDIT:

Totally agreed. Built in safety features in regulated devices of ANY type are just a feature and as such, can fail. Safety needs to be practiced on each and every device.

Leaving in APV Discussion...

Last edited:

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Mystery short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh boy, another incident to relate to you all....

In the daylight hours I am pretty much on top of things with all my gear but with age and failing eyesight, I have issues dealing with mods and drippers at night despite my headlamp etc. Due to this I mostly avoid dripping after dark and go over to tanks and regulated mods of various types out of necessity and safety.

I've just had to take a vtc4 out of rotation as a precaution because I don't really know what happened to it...but I know enough!

Two nights ago, I picked up a mech with an Atlantis tank attached and it was warm to hot with the fire button locked. Upon immediate removal of atty and battery I found that the vtc's wrapper was covered in globules of eliquid which had caused a short of some kind. I took apart the tank but found nothing leaking or unusual. Cleaned the mech (especially the switch as this mod had just been given a service a few days earlier) and found the negative end of the battery and negative contact bore some carbon deposits, positive was good but entire tube wet with e juice like the battery. The mech is a Phenom and the mod functions perfectly although the switch is known to have a short throw, it was the juice causing the issue and not the switch.

I still have no idea how so much juice could have found it's way into the mod through the 510 when there is no apparent leaking in either the Atlantis or the Magma drippers I use in the daytime on it. I'm thinking the Magma is the culprit since it is known to leak through the airflow system and although I wiped off the mod and atty at each dribble, enough must have found it's way in somehow.

Can't think of any other reason for this...anybody had similar experience????

Now, I rebuild my Atlantis coils with cotton but everything checks out on the tank

The vtc4 was slightly bulged out at the base so I think I may have found it late

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Since you are experiencing another mech-specific shorting issue, I will go ahead and move this to the Mech forum.. However, since what you are experiencing can be potentially dangerous, I suggest starting a new thread regarding the device in question for immediate help the next time..

This one veered off to both mech, and regulated devices originally, and such as it was, I thought it would be best in general APV Discussion...

Moving from APV Discussion to Mechmods..

EDIT: I'm also going to edit your thread title to "Mech Shorting Issues"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread